Team Integra Forums banner

91 frost white track build (aka SWISS CHEESE)

6K views 65 replies 5 participants last post by  formerHonda 
#1 · (Edited)
New to the site. Cut my teeth on Hondas in 2004. Left the Honda scene around 08 and bought a Nissan. Sold the Nissan in 2014. Decided to hunt down a Honda to build last summer. Finally came across something I felt like was a fit. I originally wanted a DC2 but after 6 months of looking I made a last minute switch to the 2nd gen. I loved my old 92. DA coupes are beautiful. My wife named it Swiss Cheese because it's got hail damage to it haha.

It's a 91 LS with a 97 b20 swap. Will definitely be doing a vtec conversion but still undecided about turbo. I happen to like all motor a lot. Theres tons of stuff to do to this thing due to the 280k odometer so lots of updates will happen. It will be a while before it's slow posting.

See less See more
#2 ·
Had a power steering leak from previous owner. They had the both the belt and pulley off to... I dunno really. I guess they thought it would lower the pressure in the system and reduce the leak. Anyways, there was old fluid everywhere in the bay. My looped the steering on my old DA so no biggie. Pulled all that mess out. It's for sale for cheap if anyone wants it.

#3 ·
No idea who painted the bay gold but its really bad. Going to have to pull the motor and repaint it white. That will come in time. It's not my daily (first time in my life I can work on something I don't have to drive) but I do want to keep the projects within reason. I don't want 2 years to pass in between drives. So one project at a time hopefully.

#10 · (Edited)
Did a lot in short order today. Dropped off the upper control arm mounts to get pressed out and poly bushing pressed in. I have a feeling the labor is gonna be a rip. So I figured I could set up a vise and get some stuff out myself. 32mm socket works good for upper ball joints.

and since I was in the building listening to 311 (I know 3/11 day was yesterday but I figured it’s Corona Virus judgment day so might as well make it 3/11 week) I am required to drum along.

Also, I picked up some Skunk2 lowering springs. They came with struts but I ended up switching them to the struts that were already on the car. Just a tad more resistance on them. Both sets of struts are blown like a mug anyways.

#12 ·
Had to get creative on the lower control arm bushings. I was able to get the rubber out but not the metal outside race. So a hand saw worked but detaching the blade and putting it into the bore and sawing two cuts. The. I just used a chisel and hammered the pieces out.

The new bushings went in pretty easy with a bfh. I put the new sleeves (inner race) in after the bushings were in. Made it a little easier.

#14 ·
Finished the remaining 2 bushing on the LCAs and got the new ball joints in the spindles/knuckles. I’m going to see how long these trash eBay ball joints hold up. They have the energy bushing on them but they’re basically dust covers. So whole right side done. But left side needs a cv boot repair before I can finish it.

And it’s a holiday that I am not sure why I celebrate, but Happy St Paddy’s Day.

#15 ·
God knows how much I hate cv axles. They are just bastards. This one of course came apart and now the section that connects to the half shaft is all that’s left. I’ve tried all the tricks so I can I’ll probably just leave it and put the new shaft in minus that section.

#16 ·
But on a more positive note, got the tail lights in with the new gaskets. Look better than the old ones to me. Also started sanding down the rear midsection to see how bad the rust is. It’s all the way through in spots. I’ll either fill it or pull the one off this roller I’m buying next week.

#18 ·
Yea it’s seized in the half shaft. The clip is not collapsing allowing it to pull or something. I’ve used breaker bars, vise grip, and a slide hammer made out of an old vise grip. Such a pita. Also the car has hail damage along with those rust spots. So the Swiss cheese is on point lol.

#25 ·
Decided I’m definitely putting a manual steering rack in. Just curious if anyone has any good reviews on these brands. I’ve used Cardone for other other parts but they were like rotors or something. Nothing that is mechanical if that makes sense.
I’m seeing Cardone, BBB, Detroit Axle,

#26 ·
Spent some time today removing some clutter from the back. All rear seat brackets, seat belts, mounting hardware, rear speakers, and the power antenna has been pulled. For ****s and giggles we weighed it lol. 4,400 grams plus 728g per speaker. All that added together and divided by 448 (a pound) and we have over 13lbs of weight removed. That doesn’t include the plastic trim and plastic speaker mounts. Those are hardly anything. Call it 14 lbs of weight but much more in clutter out of the way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.