Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My aftermarket 9005 bublbs has 2 notches in the plug and would not plug into the existing headlight plug.

I read the DIY article explaining how to remove the notches but is it safe to do so? Are there differences between 9005 bulbs?

I checked out the specs before I bought these light and their their power output is identical to oem bulbs.

Thanks.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Ya, I did it last night. Its a little bit brighter, but nothing to have a heart attack over. Its a free mod so its cool.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
SwiftTone on Feb/23/04 said:
Ya, I did it last night. Its a little bit brighter, but nothing to have a heart attack over. Its a free mod so its cool.
wow i did mine last night too..i havent took it out for a drive since my teg has a broken axle.

·
Administrator
43,019 Posts
Viet-Integra on Feb/23/04 said:
I read the DIY article explaining how to remove the notches but is it safe to do so? Are there differences between 9005 bulbs?
rest assured that we do our absolute best not to post stuff that isn't "safe" to do..... there is reputation at stake here

·
Super Moderator
14,200 Posts
many people have said it could do damage to the wires.
I have yet to see it or read about it myself.

·
Banned
2,368 Posts
CustomGSR on Feb/23/04 said:
It won't do any damage. The gauge wire can easily handle the tiny amount of gain in amperage.
I agree. That conversion is going to pull a lot less than some of the aftermarket bulbs like PIAA.

Also, when I did my 9005 conversion, I melted the tabs with a soldering gun. when installing them, it was a little hard to get them to slide in b/c I didn't get all the melted plastic out. Well, in pulling them out, the insert on the insie of the plug came out. Funny thing is....with that insert out, you don't need to cut, melt, or grind off the tabs. You only need to modify that top tab on the bulb.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I didn't drive it around w/ the 9005 done. My cars in the shop so i tested on my friend's R. We had it facing the wall and you can clearly see that it is a little brighter and the area the light covers is greater.

·
Registered
704 Posts
C_Rock77 on Feb/23/04 said:
Quote: CustomGSR on Feb/23/04It won't do any damage. The gauge wire can easily handle the tiny amount of gain in amperage. I agree. That conversion is going to pull a lot less than some of the aftermarket bulbs like PIAA.

Also, when I did my 9005 conversion, I melted the tabs with a soldering gun. when installing them, it was a little hard to get them to slide in b/c I didn't get all the melted plastic out. Well, in pulling them out, the insert on the insie of the plug came out. Funny thing is....with that insert out, you don't need to cut, melt, or grind off the tabs. You only need to modify that top tab on the bulb.
actually the piaa bulbs (extreme whites)i just took out of my car due to one blowing after 18+ months are only 61w as to the 9005 silver stars are 65w... im pleased with the light output from the silver star conversion...i also relized that this conversion can be used on other cars as well..my 92 civic hatch uses the same bulbs as the teg for high and low beam..(i didnt know this till i had to replace a headlight bulb in the hatch) so i will be doing the conversion on my hatch also..

·
Banned
2,368 Posts
Ok...
Maybe I was mistaken on the brand of bulb, but I know SOME are really high wattage, and could damage your harnesses. You're not going to have that happen from SilverStars, though.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Just have a quick question.

I am going to do the 9005 conversion this weekend and also will be using a 9005 harness. I just want to know if I still will need to use the seal off the 9006. I'm thinking yes, but I just want to make sure.

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
I just did the 9005 silverstar conversion on my LS tonight and purchased 2 new 9005 plugs as well. I did not feel like hacking at the bulb. So the bulb fit the socket perfectly and it took 1 min each bulb to fit into the headlight. The 9006 is 51-55 watts and the 9005 is 65. This way it will handle the extra heat. It's not much but it saved me a lot of time.

Jay, you do not have to use the seal, you can if you want to but it is not necessary.

·
Registered
963 Posts
how much are the 9005 harnesses.

Somebulbs are high wattage. Its not depending on the brand or type of bulb. The kind of bulb I have, XD5 Quartz, come in 65w and like 100w. I just chose the 65w to be safe. And plus, if you use the higher wattage bulbs, they will burn out much much quicker. I've also heard that doing the 9005 conversion with the SilverStars result in the bulb burning out much faster when compared to others. Any truth to this?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Could you convert one headlight and leave the other stock, for comparisson purposes.

O, and what kind of bulbs are those Furious, they're so yellow...lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.