Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i understand how to do it and everything else im not asking a stupid question like are these bulbs good but my

from what i understand this conversion allows you to run highbeams in your low beam slot but what i dont understand is how do you guys dont get pulled over

i mean basicially everytime you turn on your headlights it's like you have your highbeams on right?

dont you think this pisses off all the other drivers on the road?

am i missing something here?

when you convert to 9005 is it as bright as if you you were just driving with your highbeams on?

or is it just slightly brighter than stock lowbeams?

what confuses me the most is you take the time to convert to 9005 for lowbeams then you adjust it down so it doesnt annoy other drivers doesnt this defeat the whole purpose of converting?

why not just buy 9006 for the low beams and 9005 for the highbeams like they were intended to be used?

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
Because the G3 teg has the projector style lenses, the light is focused on the ground and not at drivers. The light may look brighter but they definatly aren't on the level of high beam bright. I've never been flashed for having it done. The light may be brighter but its still focused on the road. Its like a flashlight aimed at the road in front of you and a spotlight aimed at the road. You can tell that the spotlight is brighter, but since its not aimed at you, it doesn't really bother you.

The reason for that is simple. Its the same reason that we use different stereos than were originaly intended. Or why we use different wheels. Its all about the styling and modification of our cars. Plus its fun.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for answering i appreciate it

my only other question is where can i get these for the cheapest price?

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
You can do it wth any 9005 bulb. Cool blues run you about 12 bucks apiece in most auto part stores. I'd use those if you aren't sure about how you are going to like it. Silverstars are about 50 bucks a pair. They are worth 50 bucks as the conversion bulbs but they are pretty average for high beams. I wouldn't buy them unless it was for the conversion. Phillips makes another "blue"ish bulb that works very well for the conversion. Its like 8 bucks a bulb at K-mart. I'd get the Cool Blues. Someone said they just got a set of em for 12 bucks at Wal Mart.

·
Super Moderator
14,179 Posts
I got my bulbs at sears $15 a bulb and its bright as hell

how-to

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
You take some 9005 high beam bulbs and compare them to some normal 9006 low beams. Down the center there are two rail thingys. Those have got to go. Either melt them out with a sodering iron or cut them or file them out. However you want to do it. The top tab needs to be trimmed up a bit too so it will fit in the socket. Basicly just make that 9005 bulb look like a 9006 bulb and you are good to go. Its super simple and only takes 5 minutes. Do a search on '9005 Conversion' on this board and you'll find a link to a page that gives you photos and everything on how to do it. Its way easy. Eaiser than changing your CD in your stereo.

·
Super Moderator
14,179 Posts
Jngrbrdman on Aug/01/02 said:
You take some 9005 high beam bulbs and compare them to some normal 9006 low beams. Down the center there are two rail thingys. Those have got to go. Either melt them out with a sodering iron or cut them or file them out. However you want to do it. The top tab needs to be trimmed up a bit too so it will fit in the socket. Basicly just make that 9005 bulb look like a 9006 bulb and you are good to go. Its super simple and only takes 5 minutes. Do a search on '9005 Conversion' on this board and you'll find a link to a page that gives you photos and everything on how to do it. Its way easy. Eaiser than changing your CD in your stereo.
you also have to use the rubber 0-ring from the 9006 to seal it properly, there's some pics in the how-to in my prev post

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
one of my 9006 PIAA Super Whites burnt out, so I decided to replace it with a 9005 Sylvania Silverstar ($24.99 each @ Autozone). The Silverstar is identical in color (white not blue) to the Super White and is constructed more robustly and with better materials. The Silverstar is also noticeably brighter than the Super White - due to the increased wattage of this conversion.

·
Registered
221 Posts
So will the 9005 bulb burn out or anyhting or will there be any harm to your wiring harnesses?

·
Registered
768 Posts
crash on Aug/03/02 said:
Who came up with this crazy idea anyway considering all the replacement bulbs that are out there?
The point is to increase lumens. Just switching to a better bulb will do this, but switching to a better high beam bulb with the conversion, will increse it even further. I've been extremely skeptical of this. However, I decided to give it a try. I converted to the high-beam Piaa bulb, and have had NO PROBLEMS. I've driven with them for up to 4 hours. No melted harness, nothing. So, this is not to say this will not harm your car, but mine is fine

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
PIAA bulbs are 51W for 9006 and 60W for 9005. Most other bulbs including Siverstars are 55W 9006 and 65W 9005. PIAA Super Whites color temp = 3800K. Sylvania Silverstars = 4000K. Higher color temp means whiter light. I did the 9005 conversion with Silverstars and wondered why I got such a dramatic improvement over my already good PIAA's. This is why.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
are the sylvania silverstars any sort of special bulb that i would have to look for at a speed shop or can i find those at any local autozone, k mart, walmart?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts