Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had one of my 9005 converted silverstars blow out tonight. I haven't had them in for two months, and one has blown already. It look like the filament was melted like solder. I am always very carefull when putting in headlights. I never touch the bulb, and I am always gentle putting them in. But I have to say, maybe there is a reason we shouldn't be doing this. I mean, the glass looked all burnt and the filament was dripping like solder. I won't be spending that kind of money on headlights again.

·
Registered
9,908 Posts
you can spend some more money on the headlights, and get an HID kit and retrofit it, using projector housings from something like an audi and have a nice clean look.

if I ever decide on modding lighting thats the way I will go.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Well there you go. Of course you'll get a ton of people saying that they've had theirs in for a year driving at night for 2 hours and no problem but regardless those bulbs weren't meant for extended use like the 9006. The headlight folk do know what they are doing.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
crash on Feb/09/04 said:
Well there you go. Of course you'll get a ton of people saying that they've had theirs in for a year driving at night for 2 hours and no problem but regardless those bulbs weren't meant for extended use like the 9006. The headlight folk do know what they are doing.
Yeah, I really think you are right. They really aren't intended for extended use like the 9006's are.

·
Banned
2,368 Posts
I have the 9005 SS in my low-beams (did the 0996-9005 conversion). The SilverStars are awesome. If you're not too keen on doing the 9005 conversion, buy the 9006s for your low beams. I'm sure they'd make a nice difference.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
crash on Feb/09/04 said:
I'll be the first of that "ton". Mine just blew out yesterday after a year and 4 months of use. That includes 3 1100 mile road trips driven mostly at night. Will a stock bulb last longer? Yes. Will a stock bulb be as bright? No. I think 1/3 the life for 3 times the output is a pretty good trade-off. Nobody should be expecting them to last as long as stock bulbs, but over a year of service from a bulb designed only for high=beam use is pretty good. I'll buy them again.

Tony, it's unfortunate that your bulb blew so soon. That isn't the norm from what I've seen. Good luck on whichever direction you take next.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Just getting the stock silverstar bulbs for my low beams made a dramatic difference for me.

Is there a kit available or do you have to just splice in the high beam connectors?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts