Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok after reading the articles on compression testing...

they say to take out the 15amp fuse for the fuel injection system....,
and to 'unplug the power connector to the distributor'....

so which plug would that be? there is a two prong plug and a 6prong plug going to the distributor? which to unplug?

finally hipotetical question...instead of cutting the fuel and distributor power couldnt i just run a wire directly from the battery to starter motor to crank the engine a few times to get a reading?

anyone know compression readings for a b16a2?

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
The reason it says to unplug the power going to the distributor and fuel injectors, is so when you start cranking it, the ECU doesnt start dumping in fuel or shooting out sparks.

Connected to the distributor, theres a pretty big connector directly behind it, towards the flywheel. I cant remember, but I think there was more than 6 prongs. For the fuel injectors, i usually just disconnect the 4 connectors from the injectors themselves.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
its a pain disconnecting the injector clips. Just pull the fuse.

The power plug to the distributor is just that. There is a plug that goes into it, then four that go out to the spark plug wires.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
The fuse does the trick. No need to do anything else. The fuse is to the computer. Without the computer, the injectors won't know when to fire and the spark plugs won't be there do spark.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
on a related note, I tried pulling that fuse that was suggested in the article, and it caused my starter to not work either. This made testing compression a bit difficult!

Fortunately my "fuel cutoff switch" also kills the sparks as well, so I just used that instead.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I believe the reason some have said to unplug the distributor is because of a risk with damaging the ignition coil due to the plugs not being grounded? As flatrate said though it is not an issue as the ignition isn't firing anyway. I believe 270psi is the max on the B16 like the gsr and type r's (generic number the haynes gives for all the higher compression B series) but I would say anything 210 or so and up is a solid motor from what i've seen. The important thing is not excessive differences in cylinder pressures between each and it is not below 140psi which is the service limit. If someone has exact numbers on that throw 'em out.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
94GSRteggy on Oct/09/07 said:
I believe the reason some have said to unplug the distributor is because of a risk with damaging the ignition coil due to the plugs not being grounded? As flatrate said though it is not an issue as the ignition isn't firing anyway. I believe 270psi is the max on the B16 like the gsr and type r's (generic number the haynes gives for all the higher compression B series) but I would say anything 210 or so and up is a solid motor from what i've seen. The important thing is not excessive differences in cylinder pressures between each and it is not below 140psi which is the service limit. If someone has exact numbers on that throw 'em out.
Already posted here at bottom of page

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys...

ill pull the 15amp fuse...

now just to make sure...so i dont screw up the distributor... the power cable is the 6prong one...thats the one to disconnect...not the two prong one.

(i say 6prong from what i remember....all i remember now is one is definately two prong and the other is way more)

or should i just disconnect them both?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.