Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 95 integra ls special ed. and i wanted to get an engine swap, instead of goin for ls/vtec and turbos, cuz id rather get brand new low miles instead of 119k and 3 oil leaks on the ls..i was deciding between the 2nd gen. b16a or the h22a motor..im goin mostly for faster peformance between these 2..what do you guys suggest? and also are JDM engines smog and emission legal in california? thx for your time.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
you better check the smog laws regarding engine swaps into cars in California. I don't live there but from what I understand if the engine does not match the model, you have some explaining to do. But I think the CA people can speak more to this than I can.

How can a JDM be CA smog legal? The Japanese smog laws are much less strict than ours in North America.

It's ironic the Kyoto Accord came from Japan, a country with lax emissions laws.

·
Registered
162 Posts
actaully arent the smog laws really strict over in japan? i thought that they even have to change the motor or buy a new car every 4-5 years or something. but then again.. with no bumper reinforcment laws or anything.. maybe their smog laws are lax too...

BTW i have a b16a 1st gen in my 93 integra. i passed smog too. i'm running jdm 4-1 header, chipped p30 ecu, exhuast, aftermarket cat and cai. i live in so cali.

what you have to find is a shop that's lax about the visual inspection. the jdm motor SHOULD pass smog with some help. i wasn't passing at first, i leaned my sfc vtec waay down, and the guy retarded the timing waay back. car sounded like it was about to die.. but i passed.=)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so what engine do you guys recommend? the b16a 2nd generation or the h22a? i would save up for a b18c1, but it would take me a while to be able to afford it, then to save up for the installment labor.. =/..but if you guys really REALLY insist, then i can prob save up for b18c1..but what do you guys suggest?

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
The H22 is ok for straightline but needs you to get the Hasport mounting kit and aftermarket 90-93 Integra driveshafts. Tight fit. It adds about 100 lb to the front of the car disturbing the weight balance further to the front on a FWD car. The advantage is the added torque and power.You are stuck with the H22 tranny and ECU/harness too...it's not just the engine.

The b16a is a straight fit with no mounts or driveshaft issues. you can use any Bseries tranny. no weight issues. You will need the ECU/harness. It's only 1.6L so be prepared to keep it above 6000 rpm if you want to scoot fast...no torque. This will be the big noticeable difference compared to the b18b you have now at around town driving.

·
Registered
472 Posts
id have to say go with the b16a because h22a is like 3 grand + mounts and b16a is only 1 grand and with the 2 grand left over u can get turbo or performance parts for the b16

·
Registered
246 Posts
you find me a b16A swap for a grand.....accually JDM H22 swaps go for about 2500....the reason JDM motors have a tough time passing is cause the ECU makes it run really rich.....MD do you know if the USDM ECU would be compatable with the JDM wiring? if so pick up a USDM ecu and you will be fine....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so you guys recommend the b16a 1st gen? if so, how would i be able to pass smog tests with it? also, are there turbos that would still let me pass smog tests, if so, are they worth it? sorry bout the 13214343 questions i have..=P but thx for your time and replies..really appreciate it..

·
Registered
767 Posts
i know this thread is old, but are jdm engines legal in california or any other strict state , because michael said" How can a JDM be CA smog legal? The Japanese smog laws are much less strict than ours in North America." and there was a question about if the USDM ECU would be compatable with the JDM wiring? i dont know if that is possible, or how would a jdm engine pass smog in california
------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
people have dropped JDM motors in their cars in CA.

the question is how strict is the matching of the engine to the chassis law?

the hype in this thread was that an importer was selling the JDM motor as being CA smog legal as is from Japan.

That's impossible since their smog laws aren't as strict. They don't have OBD2 standards. Their cars don't have to run EVAP purge solenoids.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I did a lot of researching on those who have done the h22a1 swap Because I was going to do it myself and decided not to, Hassports mounts are gonna run you a pretty pennie, New shafts, Ecu and engine harness, being stuck with the H22 tranny, resistor box, hooking up IAB, Vtec and Knock, It seems like it would be pretty cool to try but I found a good deal on a 98 Gsr b18c1/tranny/ECU and am pretty stoked to have that to drop in, I say if you can find one for a good price, find a nice b20Z Crv motor, the higher comp one, mate it with a low mileage type R Tranny and go to town, little more involved but you catch the drift, I myself looked for a long time to try and find a b20Z, but only found the b20b low comp motor, errrrrr it made me mad so i stopped serchin for one, but hey do what you wanna do and dont let anyone step in your way, good luck and have a good one bro

LanDoN

·
Registered
46 Posts
hey milkman, listen to me, take your money to rebuild the ls motor and boost the sh*t out of it. There's no way you can tell how good a used motor is or how well it has been maintained without actually swapping it in and testdriving it, they might say 35k-40k miles on it, but in reality the engine might have alot more, maybe a few oil leaks here and there just like your motor, they would clean it up real good beforehand, and the tranny that comes with the swap might even have bad syncro's, you never know, and if you're not the one that's gonna do all the labor, think twice.
been there done that.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
MD, how is it my JDM ECU for my teg is classed as OBD2? I'm just curious. Pretty sure the ECU is from an 97-99 Malysian ITR. It's OBD2A and connects/runs my OBD2B car with an adapter harness.

Does Japan use a different ECU than the rest of the world? Seems inefficient.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts