Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I built a turbo teg with b18b1 with stock internals. We did a megasquirt ecu and a cx racing turbo. We ran the new ecu on N/A for a couple months and learned alot about tuning and then got about 150 miles out of the stock motor with 12 lbs of boost. All four of the pistons had broken ring lands.
We were running about 31 degrees of timing at that boost level.

So we rebuilt the motor and pulled out around 8-10 degrees of timing. It lasted about the same amount of time as the first. We noticed a drop in power and limped home.. Found a blown head gasket and 3 pistons with broken ring lands.

We're good mechanics, but new to tuning and forced induction.

I'm wanting to know if we still have too much timing or have we hit the limit on stock internals. We're gonna order turbo pistons and maybe H-beam rods, but we don't want another 150 mile motor afterwards.

Here is my timing table from TunerStudio

Here's pics of pistons.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Hard to tell, could be either or. I'd say, if you are pushing over 300+whp I would suspect its the cast pistons that can't take the load. If you are under 300whp I would suspect your tune is off and detonation is the cause. You can double check what the actual whp threshold is for the stock pistons.

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
I see no mention of modifying the air/fuel ratio tables...

Was the fuel system upgraded at all?

·
Super Moderator
25,239 Posts
We're good mechanics, but new to tuning and forced induction.
I'm good with fixing things around the house, but there's some things that I know are better left to a professional. This is the approach you should take with tuning the car. Two blown engines means the third time, take it to a professional.

Look into Hondata for an ECU.

You may be in a tad over your head with this and more research needs done about forced induction or you're going to keep replacing motors after 150 miles.

In addition to my previous questions - tuning is what is missing here...simply adjusting the timing is not sufficient.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Did you take the time to hit the correct target lambdas when filling in the VE table?

Not trying to hate, but in addition megasquirt has an auto tuning feature, no? I know it doesn't actually completely tune your car, but it's a place to start. Start off using a stock VE map for a b18, or copy one over. Hit the lambdas, make sure you're staying a bit rich into load and tune for mbt as safe as you can. I'll see if my book has any extra tips I can give ya, I'm a noob to tuning as well :p

·
Registered
90 Posts
Agreed^^.

Typically to tune you would start intentionally rich, and intentionally retarded and then slowly and carefully lean out the mixture until you get good power, then slowly and carefully increase timing looking for knock.

Search up tuning 101 and read some basic info on tuning.

Chay

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
teg1992
Team Integra Forums
The Team Integra community is a forum dedicated to Acura Integra enthusiasts to discuss engine building, suspension, repair, detailing and anything else Integra related.
Full Forum Listing