Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I curious to know if this size will actually fit my car. I think there are a few select people here that have 18's on their cars and they wear 225/35/18's or something like that. I have a little 0.75" drop on a 95 GSR. All I need to know if it'll scrub anything on the inide fenders should I push the car hard into corners?

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
Im positive it will rub in even the slightest turns. I have 215's and the rub under hard cornering. Maybe if you roll the fenders, it might fit. But I hae never heard of anyone fittin 225's on their teg.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How low of a drop are you? I'm not that low... are you sure you have never heard of people with 18" wheels and 225 tires?

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Too wide IMHO. Handling will be very sloppy. I'm sure it's possible with some fender modification but why would you want it to?

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just curious. I mean with a lower profile of 40 I was assuming that it'll fit with no problems. I don't understand why too wide of a tire would make my car sloppier though?

·
Registered
108 Posts
You do realize that a 40 series tire is still a percent of the width...so if you to wider you to taller....thus a 225/40 is taller than you think....I don't understand why that would make your steering sloppier either, please educate us surferX. I am running 215/40-16 on my teg with a pro-kit drop and have never rubbed even under hard cornering....I do have upgraded sway bars though, 24 front with poly bushings and 22 adjustable on the back with poly bushings, that could have something to do with me not rubbing.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Wide tires are great, as long as you have an equally wide wheel to go with them. A wider tread on a narrower wheel will decrease the control the wheel will have in applying forces to the tire. The wider tread allows the tire to give and allows the wheel room for movement inside the tire.

Wheel widths to tread size for plus sizing on Integras.
6" = 195
7" = 205
8" = 215

This will generally give the best performance. Always check the specs of the tire you are getting to see what the manufacturer's recommended wheel width is though.

The common upgrade to 205/50 R15 on stock wheels is a necessary evil due to lack of tire selection in 195/55 R15. It's not a performance upgrade like most people think because it is wider that must mean it's better. If I could get the tires I wanted in 195/55 R15 I would get them in a heartbeat. Run an auto-x with 205/50 on stock 15x6 wheels then run those same tires on 15x7 wheels. You will then feel the difference.

Of course for daily driving on the street will you notice the difference in handling? Maybe or maybe not. The main difference will be crisper turn-in and it depends how you drive and how in touch you are with your car when driving. Just don't expect to get better performance out of a wider tire just because it is wider.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
225/40/16 should be shorter than my stock 195/55/15 tires.

225/40/16 = 586.4mm or 23.0866"
195/55/15 = 595.5mm or 23.4448"

It'll just be wider not taller. I know 205/45/16 is the ideal size, but I was trying to get away with the largest size tire possible.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Go to www.tirerack.com and look up your car and size of the wheel. Then look at the tires you are interested in and look under "Specs". It will give you all the info of the tire including Tread Width, Overall Diam etc. Hope this helps. Good luck stefan525

1 - 9 of 9 Posts