Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i almost had a heart attack today. my girlfriend informed me that she has driven her 94 ls since she bought it 20k miles and changed the oil once after 3k. She drove 17k miles without an oil change. I changed it today for her. And almost no oil registered on the dipstick. when i did. It seems ok now. I was wondering what kind of damage she did to her integra?

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
Good lord, it's mostly just wear if anything.

·
Registered
16,250 Posts
There really would be no way to tell unless you tear the engine apart and visually inspect it and get tolerances.

Depending on how long the oil level was that low, she probably shortend the life of that engine considerably. Check if it blows smoke, or any knocking sounds. I would do another oil change tomorrow just to make sure all that old oil is out of there.

17k miles and how many months was it it there?

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Depends on the oil that was in there before. Synthetic will hold up longer then conventional oil. Also did you find anything in the oil like metal drit etc?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didnt even think to inspect the oil before disposing of it. No smoke or knocking sounds. And the 17k miles was in just about a year time. I told her to take it easy on the car and ill change the oil every 3k miles and ill keep checking it to make sure it doesnt go over. i added some of the engine restorer in with the oil change as well.

·
Registered
711 Posts
sounds like major wear on the engine....my dad forgot to put oil in my mom pontiac a couple of years back (he was drunk AHHA) so my mom drove it for about 3 days, and bang engine died.....so think about that, but for 17k miles? oh and my mom only drove like maybe 30 miles?

·
Registered
86 Posts
arent you only suppose to allow the restorer to stay in the motor and let it idle for like 5 mins then flush it out?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
you know what man its not really all that bad, just about ALL of the civics and integras that come into my store have NO oil in them
i wouldnt worry about the head gasket going out or anything like that unless she over heated the sh*t out of the motor, ive run my car to the point that i had about 1 1/4quarts of oil in it and nothing happened
the only thing i can say for you to do is just befor doing the oil change nextime is put about a 1/2quart of ATF in the engine go for a drive about 10-15 min then change the oil. the ATF will breakdown any sludge that may have built up in the motor

·
Super Moderator
25,245 Posts
JeRsEyLoon on Feb/23/04 said:
does anyone else reccomend doing that?
I wouldn't, but that's just my engine...guess I care about it too much.

"ive run my car to the point that i had about 1 1/4quarts of oil in it and nothing happened"

What do you expect to 'happen'? Tear it down and then you'll see what 'happens.'

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
JeRsEyLoon on Feb/22/04 said:
I'd give it a compression test and see how the head gasket's holdin up.
Lol what!??? The head gasket?

Umm, better check you're power steering pump while you're at it

I'm just messing, but really, there will be increased wear, and it's not anything you should ever do, but it's hardly the end of the world.

·
Registered
448 Posts
yeah that will be alright, but like he said up there, putting some tpye of fluid with a thinner rating may help clean it up in there in that it will swish around a lot faster in the oil pan and across the internals.

Just re-change it again right after the 15mins of driving

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
you can drop the pan out and see if there is any build up next time you change your oil. probably not worth the hassle though. just remember to keep on a good maintenance schedule. honestly, i would consider selling the car before you rack up too many miles on it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts