Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I'm looking for a new set of track tires. Given that they will go on a stock 15" GSR rim, same brand/model of tire. SO the only difference would be tires size.

Pros & Cons?

195/55s
Pros:
-stock size
-"softer" ride compared to 205s
-cheaper $$ compared to 205s
Cons:
-taller sidewall compared to 205s, which means more sidewall flex

205/50s
Pros:
-stiffer sidewall vs. 195s in terms of performance
Cons:
-not a 100% match in diameter
-cost more $$ compared to 195s

So, aside from the ride, I guess the biggest question is, is there any performance difference between 205/50 and 195/55?

Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
the 205s are obviously wider. its not much wider, so its up to you whether the extra width is worth the extra $$. the smaller sidewall will help with handling better.

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
The 55 series tires are a little on the rare side. They made them for a couple of cars. Believe it or not but they will cost as much if not more than a 205 50.
Go hereand read about tires. The series of tire has nothing to do with it's sidewall stiffness.
If your just using them to race with....get the 205 50's.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry..I didn't realize I didn't specify what type of usage...this will be for Driver's schools..so no auto-x or drag racing on these tires...

I read that 205s were too wide for the 6" stock rim. Thus the tire walls were "bent" up to fit on a 6" rim...the ideal rim would have been a 7" rim w/ 205s, but even a 6.5" would work. The 6" was just too narrow...any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
The 6.5" and 7" may be "ideal", but I have run 205-50 series tires on my stock 15x6 wheels, and my sidewalls aren't bowing out. Atleast not to the point where the naked eye can say "holy moly your tires gonna blow!" lol

I also just purchased 205-50 Falkens for my 15x6 Rota's. They have stiff sidewalls, so I'm not seeing it a problem. You will be fine on a 6" wheel

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dang..thanks for the link to that thread..I tried searching...but I guess it's the way I wrote the tire sizes..i used 195/55-15 instead of 195/55/15..

Thanks for the link though..lots of useful info there!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts