Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was thinking what u think a good set up for a 2006 acura rsx type s. I was planning to put comptech icebox intake, jdm header, buddy club spec III exhaust, and a hondata reflash. what do u think of that set up?

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
I think that if you start off by just listing random parts and asking for opinions, you'll get 50 opinions and each person will tell you their's is best.

who are you going to believe?

and based on what criteria are you going to choose?

are you going to mindlessly accept any opinion or accept "an expert" blindly?

in the end, you need an objective reason stated up front that you can prove to be correct and valid.

if you don't have objective standards and you base things on subjective opinions, you are vulnerable to being misled with wrong info (whether it's done with good intentions or not).

we have an approach that is objective here.

it's in a thread called: "I have an Integra (or RSX) , I want more power. Help me." . It's linked in the above intense learning thread. Start there please.

we don't need to go back to zero and start to re-invent the wheel.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Dude, I don't think he's listing random parts. I'm sure he's read about the set up he mentioned. He just needed opinions on his own set up whether or not it's a good idea so most likely Yes/No answers. He never mentioned asking what others think is a good set up or what they have under their hood. Before you start talking like you know everything, please realize how much of an ass your making of yourself. Your car isn't all that great and neither is mine. The reason for this forum is to help each other out, not to bring someone down. You can reply to this message and talk back all you want, I don't mind, as long as I've made my point.

·
Registered
34 Posts
BTW Ernesto, I think your set up sounds good. Very basic bolt ons and the buddy club exhaust.... wow that's JDM right there. Hope it isn't too loud because if it is, goodluck from getting a fix it ticket.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
ernest0 on Jan/19/06 said:
i was thinking what u think a good set up for a 2006 acura rsx type s. I was planning to put comptech icebox intake, jdm header, buddy club spec III exhaust, and a hondata reflash. what do u think of that set up?

Go for it.

Quote: MR_DOPEY on Jan/27/06 Dude, I don't think he's listing random parts. I'm sure he's read about the set up he mentioned. He just needed opinions on his own set up whether or not it's a good idea so most likely Yes/No answers. He never mentioned asking what others think is a good set up or what they have under their hood. Before you start talking like you know everything, please realize how much of an ass your making of yourself. Your car isn't all that great and neither is mine. The reason for this forum is to help each other out, not to bring someone down. You can reply to this message and talk back all you want, I don't mind, as long as I've made my point.
Why bother to post in the performance section then? Might as well be in the G4 or My teg forum for that matter. If he's not looking for perfomance and a compatible setup that will make gains, don't fill the performance forum with worthless opinion posts.

Which goes back to posting in the proper forums and making original post as informative as possible so the original thread starter gets as much feedback as possible.

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
ernest0 on Jan/19/06 said:
what do u think of that set up?

Quote: MR_DOPEY on Jan/27/06 He never mentioned asking what others think is a good set up or what they have under their hood.

Maybe im blind dopey, But it sure reads to me, and any other intelligent person on Planet Earth that he is blindly asking what others think.

·
Registered
35,673 Posts
MR_DOPEY on Jan/27/06 said:
Dude, I don't think he's listing random parts. I'm sure he's read about the set up he mentioned. He just needed opinions on his own set up whether or not it's a good idea so most likely Yes/No answers. He never mentioned asking what others think is a good set up or what they have under their hood. Before you start talking like you know everything, please realize how much of an ass your making of yourself. Your car isn't all that great and neither is mine. The reason for this forum is to help each other out, not to bring someone down. You can reply to this message and talk back all you want, I don't mind, as long as I've made my point.
The original poster never justified why he chose the parts he did. Until then, we don't know if he had planned this out or just arbitrarily selected parts.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
tsugsr on Jan/27/06 said:
Quote: ernest0 on Jan/19/06 what do u think of that set up?

Quote: MR_DOPEY on Jan/27/06 He never mentioned asking what others think is a good set up or what they have under their hood.

Maybe im blind dopey, But it sure reads to me, and any other intelligent person on Planet Earth that he is blindly asking what others think.

did somebody say Planet Earth ?

Planet Earth Racing's Grand Am GSR's from 3 years ago.

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
hehe, read up a little bit more on header design, collector size, and exhaust design.

The k-series are great motors that begged to be modified. one could only hope that you would want to get the most of your motor by fine tuning your setup instead of good ole "lego building"

·
Registered
6,638 Posts
hahaha, well I guess those guys are intelligent and pick parts (or make them) wisely as well. But I didnt know the team existed so I was refering to the rest of us earthlings.
Do you know how many teams use tegs? I thought realtime was one of, of not the only, ones.

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
tsugsr on Jan/27/06 said:
hahaha, well I guess those guys are intelligent and pick parts (or make them) wisely as well. But I didnt know the team existed so I was refering to the rest of us earthlings.
Do you know how many teams use tegs? I thought realtime was one of, of not the only, ones.
a lot do. realtime racing was the most dominant with their integras but their were plenty in the same series as well as other series across the globe

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
did somebody say Planet Earth ?

Planet Earth Racing's Grand Am GSR's from 3 years ago.

^^ thats a killer paint job

i dont know too much about the performance aspect of most of the parts these days, but is it possible to get your basic boltons that will help your powerband around Vtec? Because ive read here and there when looking for parts that some help "midrange" rpm power and so forth. sorry im not trying to thread jack

·
Registered
31,217 Posts

please read this in it's entirety and educate yourself with THE BASICS.

It's the same as what we've been saying here for Integras except this is another site that focuses excellently on the RSX.

I don't think we're trying to compete with their site...only complementing one another. Their site has very extensive info on the RSX build up.

what goes in must come out. what goes in must make enough for the peak goal first. then you ensure that there's enough to remove it. then you tune to the required powerband location.

You really should take a look at what a top end header like a Prototype, SMSP, or Hytech just to see the gain per $ as opposed to nickle and diming the the i/h/c/e routine.

·
Registered
261 Posts
that is actually a very well written post. maybe someone should re-write and have it posted up in here. It is great for any car actually. And that way no one can be mad about copying....
Delaney you are always finding ways to impress me.. i wish you could throw some of that honda knowledge this way.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
rsmith85 on Jan/27/06 said:
maybe someone should re-write and have it posted up in here. It is great for any car actually. And that way no one can be mad about copying....
Delaney you are always finding ways to impress me.. i wish you could throw some of that honda knowledge this way.
we have something similar but we don't plagiarize...talk about lack of imagination or creativity or ability to do things in your own way.....look at the intense learning thread pinned up top.

we go into more depth on those ideas. for example, we talk about why dyno numbers don't line up...how many times have we said that you can't compare changes between cars directly since each car breaths differently from assembly, break in, and maintenance?

I really wish people would use this site in the way it was designed and laid out to be used.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
SEMA Aftermarket Industry Auto Show Nov 2005 said:
Acura today announced Car and Driver as the winner of the first-ever RSX Challenge. In a close competition that came down to the final event, the magazine's blue and black Comptech-supercharged 2005 RSX Type-S narrowly edged out the competition. In a second-place tie were Honda Tuning and Super Street magazines, both missing the top spot by a mere 10 points.

Car and Driver's win extended from a near sweep of the track events, plus being the crowd favorite at one of two car show competitions. Technical director Larry Webster drove the RSX Type-S to victory in the handling, braking and quarter mile competitions, despite having the second-lowest horsepower output of the six cars.

Super Street and Honda Tuning tied for second place with wildly different cars. The Super Street entry boasted a turbocharged engine by Top Fuel, while Honda Tuning's engine was naturally aspirated. Editor John Naderi drove the Super Street car to second in every track competition except braking, where a bias problem caused an unusually long stop. Honda Tuning, on the other hand, was mid-pack in most of the track testing, but scored an extra 100 points when it was the only car to pass the mandatory emissions "sniffer" test. Solid showings at the two car shows kept the magazine in contention right until the end.

Car and Driver was ultimately crowned the winner at the 2005 SEMA show and awarded a custom carbon fiber and aluminum trophy designed and constructed by American Honda's Special Projects department.

About The Challenge

The RSX Challenge pitted six magazines against each other in a competition of tuning, style and driving. Car and Driver, Honda Tuning, Import Performance (formerly Import Racer), Import Tuner, Speed magazine and Super Street were each supplied with a new 2005 Acura RSX Type-S to modify.

They were then encouraged to partner with specialty equipment manufacturers to enhance the cars' horsepower, handling and appearance. Teams were not allowed to alter the basic structure of the RSX, the cars had to retain the original engine layout and location, and they had to utilize a minimum of two A-Spec components supplied by Acura Accessory Marketing.

All cars were judged on performance, emissions compliance and appearance. Track tests were conducted by AAA at California Speedway in fontana, Calif., and included a slalom course, road course, _-mile acceleration and 60-0 mph braking. Horsepower output was measured on a chassis dyno at an independent facility, and each car was subjected to an emissions "sniffer" test administered at an AAA facility. Finally, all six cars were judged on appearance at two car shows, one at Acura's headquarters in Torrance, Calif. and another at the NHRA Sport Compact World Finals at Pomona Raceway in Pomona, Calif.

The magazines modified their cars as follows:

* Car and Driver worked closely with Comptech and Mugen importer King Motorsports, supercharging their RSX and equipping it with sophisticated chassis modifications featuring Moton adjustable external-reservoir shocks, King Motorsports' competition spring set and Stop Tech brakes. Technical director Larry Webster drove the RSX at the track, beating the competition in all the driving contests except the slalom. The combination of Mugen styling enhancements and custom paint proved popular in the style competitions.

* Honda Tuning commissioned After Hours Automotive to build its naturally aspirated K20A2 engine. Individual throttle bodies for each cylinder, a fully prepped block, lightweight pistons and a host of other upgrades combined to make this the most powerful naturally aspirated car, the third most powerful tested in the competition, and the only one to pass the emissions test. Contributing writer Dru Barrios drove the Honda Tuning car in all the track competitions. A Buddy Club kit and carbon fiber hood were subtle modifications that let the RSX's styling speak for itself.

* Import Performance (formerly Import Racer)also went the naturally aspirated route, working with Toda Racing. The engine upgrades included a bump in displacement to 2.1-liters thanks to a stroker crankshaft, piston, and connecting rod combination.

* The Progress Group supplied an adjustable race suspension, and the Brembo Gran Turismo brake system put editor Ty Rodriguez solidly in third during the braking competition. A wicked Veilside body kit and Chargespeed carbon fiber hatch kept the styling contests close.

* Import Tuner brought the biggest stick to the competition with its Skunk2-built turbocharged car. So powerful it lost traction on the dyno, it still registered nearly three times the horsepower of the stock RSX Type-S on hand. Moton race shocks combined with Skunk2's adjustable racing suspension and big AP Racing brakes for the track, but driver and feature editor Joey Leh was only able to compete in the road course before the mighty engine broke. The C-West aero kit and carbon fiber GT wing were just as extreme as the engine, and garnered many approving votes at the NHRA styling competition

* Speed magazine worked closely with GReddy and Cosworth on its engine. The chassis was tuned with KW Suspension coilovers, thicker anti-roll bars and Stop Tech brakes, a combination that allowed technical editor Dan Barnes to win the slalom competition and come in a close second in the braking competition. The only exterior modifications were a Seibon carbon fiber hood and hatch and unique black polka-dot graphics package from Graphicsworks.

* Super Street came in second in the horsepower shootout, thanks to a Top Fuel turbo system that included a bottom end rebuilt with JE pistons, Carillo connecting rods and Darton sleeves. Tien supplied its Flex coilovers, which combined with Type R anti-roll bars for on-track grip that earned driver and editor-in-chief John Naderi solid second-place finishes in the slalom and road course. White carbon fiber front fenders and hood combined with the Carisma side skirts and rear bumpers to handily win the styling contest at the NHRA finals.

if you want to see how the magazines approached suping up the RSX, take a look at the RSX Challenge results from last Nov. for ideas.

The only NA entry is the ITB 290 whp 2360 cc K20A2 killer featured in the Feb 2006 Honda Tuning Mag.

It passed smog!

LOL

But certainly not your basic i/h/c/e setup here.

Notice that most in the challenge went to the dark side.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
Again, here on TI you start with the 2 specific goals, work out where your tranny operating rpm range is at for your redline WOT upshifts, and then scour the internet and start looking at "good" tuned dynos with baseline comparisons on the same car/dyno shop and then start looking at the powerband locations for the mod...you then start comparing specs to see what spec works for what powerband.

You target the specs that give you that tranny operating rpm range and enough cfm to meet your peak power goal.

I don't know how many times I've typed that out here...must be at least 10,000 times (my post count here is closing 26,000 (post 2002 server crash) and so I'm not joking when I say that).

I'd start looking at some names and getting the measuring calipers out for all of you RSX aficionados.

Where to start? NA wise? The JDM DC5R numbers.

These for example are NA K20A's with a stock bottom end... one is lightly modified and one is intermediately modified.:

Nice bit of tuning here...see the abrupt iVTEC step in blue get eliminated and a nice un-noticeable linear transition?

Ported head, Cams, Oversized Valves, i/h/e

Start looking at these but then start compiling the specs not the brand labels so that when you shop you focus on the spec that you need to achieve your expected goals oBJECTIVELY from an external standard and not based on OPINIoNS that are SUBJECTIVE and have no external objective standard comparison that you can refer to.
Hype depends on you not knowing objective standards. Don't be a SUCKA!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.