Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've been an Integra owner for many years and am now on my 3rd Integra.

I bought this 2001 Type R back in 2014 and the paint was already pretty rough at the time.

I used it as a daily driver for a number of years and then stored it for the last year.

The engine has 280k km (175k miles) but runs great, although it burns oil. Car drives but needs work.

VIN matches on engine, tranny and body but the body panels don't have vin stickers anymore (my guess is they wore off?).

Now I'm getting ready to do a full restoration and I want some ideas from you guys.

Here's what I'm planning to do:
-Full suspension overhaul (all new bushings)
-New brake lines and fuel lines
-Engine rebuild
-Transmission rebuild
-New fuel tank and fuel filter
-Full paint (professional)
-Undercoating
-Deep interior clean

What is the best order to tackle this? Car has rust so I want to paint the underbody and all the parts as well.

I know that ITRs have a lot of value if they're bone stock and original but if I'm doing an overhaul, should I fork the extra money for OEM dealership parts or is aftermarket stuff okay too?

Or is my total overhaul destroying the value of the ITR and I should just rebuild it with whatever performance parts I want (i.e. coilover suspension, etc).

I have garage space and no time pressure. I have a good amount of experience working on Integras but never did any major work like this.

What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
Thats rough, but definitely worth saving. They do hold their value if OEM, but do you plan on selling it down the road? If not, i'd say build it to whatever spec you want. Will the car be off the road while you do this overhaul or will you still need to drive it? Here's what i did when i started the restoration of my DB8. I made a white board list of tasks, and didnt necessarily prioritize them, but i made note of ones that i could tackle easily and quickly. Obviously, if there was something else on the list that would need to be done before something else, i would do that. But with the time that i had available daily, weekly, whatever, i would set aside an hour or two and make the best use of that time to tackle whatever tasks i could, cross them off the list and then move on to the next.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like that whiteboard idea.

Not planning to sell immediately but I'll probably sell in two years or so when it's time to buy a house (unfortunately, even a shanty shack in Toronto goes for $1m+). Having said that, I'm trying to make the car as desirable/valuable as possible should that day come.

I won't have to drive the car at all while I'm working on it since I have an Acura RDX that I now use as my daily driver.

I'm not a racer so if I build the car to my spec, it will just use some Skunk2 parts rather than OEM, just because it's what's available/cheaper. It's not so much the money but more a concern about finding OEM stuff (for example, changing bushings on an upper control arm might be a beeotch but I can't find an OEM replacement for the whole control arm, only racing-type stuff).

Same for the bushings: it seems only Energy Suspension is active in this space. If i get black Energy bushings instead of OEM, do you reckon that's degrading the value of the car or should I put in the extra legwork and get OEM bushings?

As for underbody painting, if I do that myself, my plan would be to pull out the engine, remove all the suspension and then do the underbody. But if I get it professionally done, I suppose I'll be forced to have the shop remove the suspension since moving a car around with no wheels seems dicey.

I guess one of the things I'm struggling with is what to do myself versus outsource. I have a budget of around $10k but i figure exterior paint will cost $5k to get Championship White. This leaves me ~$5k for all the parts and whatever labor I outsource.

I'm in the planning phase of the project so any feedback is appreciated.

Take care guys.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just pulled a Carfax report for the first time and I see some damage reported back in 2006. The title still says "Normal".

Should this change anything in my approach?

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 Integra Type R
43 Posts
After looking your carfax over... I believe you are in the same boat I'm in. Our Type R's are in okay condition but both have claims on carfax reaching above $5k dollars. Both clean title cars though, not salvage/rebuilt titles. You had one small claim and 2 large claims. This is probably why your vin numbers are no longer on the panels. I say the car is worth no more than $15k-20k. Will never be worth much more even if you but $7k in restoration. It might go up a little in value, but I don't believe you will get return on investment. If it had a clean carfax and all matching vin stickers, you would be looking at about $10k more in value. But there are still clean version out there with higher miles and clean that go for $20k. Low mile+ clean = $20k up to whatever number you put. They are getting stupid value.
Good luck man!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts