Team Integra Forums banner

2 problems with my system...

852 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  90_integraLS 
#1 ·
Hoping there are some audio experts here on TI... I know some about systems, but I'm real bad at troubleshooting. Anyway, I installed my Alpine 7893 myself, and since the install I've had a problem with it turning off. For some reason, if I turn the volume to a certain level (usually 23 or so, but varies with the song... seems to relate to how hard the subwoofers are hitting) the deck will turn off and then turn on again... if I don't put the volume down, it will keep doing this. It's a pain because sometimes I'd like to play it louder... anyone know what is causing this and if it's possible to fix?

Secondly, my JBL BP1200.1 will occasionally turn itself off, leaving me with no bass. If I pause the deck or turn the volume way down, it will usually turn on again... occasionally it will do this several times in a period of a minute or so, and I can't figure out why it would do this. It's wired correctly, and there are no fuse problems that I can see or anything. I'm thinking it may be overheating and have an auto-shutoff, but I don't know why it would overheat sometimes, as it'll do that when I just start driving.

Any help on these issues would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#2 ·
It's wired correctly
i wouldn't jump to that conclusion
Quote: there are no fuse problems that I can see or anything
understand that a fuse works or it doesn't work.. if your piece of equipment "sometimes works" and "sometimes doesn't", then you can positively rule out the fuse as when it blows, it is NEVER going to allow power to flow past.....

Back to your problem and things to check:
- Is your amp's ground the same gauge as the power wire going into it?
- Do you have at least 4 gauge going into the amp? (i am assuming that is a 1200 watt model)
- Is the ground securely fastened to the car's chassis?
- Have you double checked it?
- Is your radio's ground using the wimpy stock ground on the harness? if it is, you should move it off of there and use a bolt on the subchassis around the radio
- Are you running a 10ga wire right to the battery for the radio as the manual EXPLICITY says to?? (your radio is a "V-Drive" model, which means it needs more current and better power wire run than the OEM plug can provide)

#3 ·
The JBL could very well be overheating. When the car is parked, is the amplifier in the sun? I had that problem with my MTX amp. When I was at school it was in the sun. It would get hot and then when I turned the system on and it would overheat almost instantly. Also, the impedance may be too low. I have experience working with the JBL 1200.1. Just because it says 1 ohm stable doesn't mean that it won't get hot and or have problems. All that means is that it can handle it for a few minutes at 1 ohm.

#5 ·
Wow... thanks guys... I'm almost positive the problem is with the V-Drive... I got this deck from one of my brother's friends, and he just had it installed professionally, didn't mention anything about that... will definetely have to get those extra hookups... I definetely have 4 gauge ground and power (Yeah, it is 1200 watts) ... I'll check the ground though, and see about wiring it at 2 ohms... thnx guys.

#8 ·
I'm powering a Kicker L7 (oldskool black one) and a Kicker L5... they are DVC 4 ohms.. have them wired... uhm, parallel I think it's called, for a 1 ohm load... the amp problem isn't really too big, though, and it hasn't been doing it a lot lately... really thinking I should take my car to some pro installers though.. I've realized I don't know as much about car audio as I thought

#9 ·
Seraphim on Apr/03/04 said:
I'm powering a Kicker L7 (oldskool black one) and a Kicker L5... they are DVC 4 ohms.. have them wired...
huh? should never mix and match woofers...... that'll cause some probs with sound quality/balance

#10 ·
Yeah, but apparently the old L7s are the exact same thing as the new L5s... I had two old l7s, but one of them blew, so I figured it would be better to replace it with an L5 than a new, much more powerful L7....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.