Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
question #1: are there any 2.25" OD catbacks with a chambered design muffler such as that of the apexi ws?

question #2: what would be the difference between using 2.25" OD vs. 60mm OD exhaust as far as performance and sound?

i have a cai right now and my future mods will only consist of bolt-ons such as a header, a cat, and a cat-back. i'm thinking about a 4-2-1 header like a dc sports ss and a 2.25" ID car sound cat. my teg is non-vtec and i'd like to concentrate on the midrange because i don't drag race. would a 2.25" OD cat-back be a better fit for my setup than a 60mm OD one? i don't want to lose too much exhaust velocity since my setup will only have mild bolt-ons.

as far as the exhaust sound, (i know this is not exactly appropriate for the performance forum but the first question is and i didn't want to start another thread) would the bigger exhaust piping affect the sound of the exhaust?

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
#1) I am sure there are some out there, but I don't know of any specificly. Sorry.

#2) The size of the piping doesn't effect the sound. The resonator and muffler design does :)

If you wanted low sound levels, with a 2.25" exhaust, you could go with the comptech catback and the silencer. BlueTeg's dyno showed that he actually gained torque when he had it installed. (Most likely due to the smaller tip increasing exhaust velocity).

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i did some research to find a 2.25" OD catback with a chambered design muffler but came up empty. i don't usually start a thread without doing some research first. (as everyone should!) :) i thought someone on this board might know of some....

yeah, i knew that the resonator and the muffler design will affect the exhaust sound to a large degree. i just wanted to make sure that the piping sizing didn't affect it too much.

i thought about the comptech cat-back but it is a straight thru design and i really want something with a chambered design to keep the exhaust sound at minimum...

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
1. The only 2.25" catback w/ a chambered muffler that I know of is the oem itr system. Aftermarket? I dunno? Perhaps you could call Apex and see if they'll sell you the axleback portion of the WS. And then get some custom 2.25" piping and fabricate it to mate up to the larger 60mm WS axle back portion. Your potential system could then look like this: 2" dc collector > 2.25" carsound cat > 2.25 b-piping > 2.25"~60mm piping adaptor> 60mm Apex muffler. Looks like a kick ass stepped setup to me w/ minimal noise.

2. Like Style said (and as you already know) the muffler and resonator are key here, not piping diameter.

3. I've never heard of a 60mm carsound cat. To my knowledge they come in 2.25" or 2.5"

If you're concentrating on pumping up your mid-range then I'd highly recommend a 2.25" piping over 60mm piping.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
who said anything about a 60mm cat???

anyway, i'm a little hesitant about going with custom piping... i've heard some horror stories about them with the tubing not being very high quality as they should be. i guess that all depends on the shop though...

how much modification will be required if i were to get an itr catback? isn't the itr catback crush bent anyway?

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
My bad. I confused two of the sentences. Still asleep

I've heard some horror stories too....thats why I'd rather stick w/ an aftermarket company. Just throwing ideas out there....thinking outside the box.

itr catback will bolt right up to your LS. It is crush bent. The Comptech w/ silencer isn't that loud.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do you know if a silencer is available for the magnaflow catback? seeing that the magnaflow catback uses a round muffler, it would be louder than the comptech one which uses an oval, bigger muffler... i believe the muffler that comptech uses for their catbacks are also made by magnaflow...

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
I'm not sure. How bout the Magnaflow b-piping w/ Comptech axle-back + silencer? Or WS axle-back?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i wasn't aware that you could buy the b-pipe only from magnaflow. where can i get one? i ran some searches on google but came up empty. (perhaps it's time for a search engine change...)

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
Contact Magnaflow and see if they'll sell the b-piping only. I don't know for sure if they do, just trying to get some more ideas out there for you.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
soulchild:
i'm not sure if car sound even makes 2" cats. i spoke to dave at smsp about "stepping down." i.e. 2.25" ID cat -> 2.25" OD piping. he said it shouldn't hurt your exhaust system really as long as you knife-edge the pipe and get rid of the bottleneck at the pipe flange. with that set up, since you're not going to be putting out massive hp anyway, i don't think it should affect you at any rate.

as far as my catback selection, i think i'm pretty much set on the comptech one with a silencer. (comptech stuff is so darn expensive though...)

i was considering a magnaflow catback which is only $370 plus shipping online. since dave at smsp deals magnaflow catbacks, i thought it would be a good choice. but the deal with the magnaflow unit is, it only comes with a round muffler which will be a big louder than a catback with a bigger, oval muffler such as the comptech catback. plus, i don't think magnaflow offers silencers for their catbacks either...

does anyone know any other 2.25" OD catback that comes with an oval muffler? i know comptech and dc sports catbacks come with oval mufflers but they're pretty expensive...

my other option would be to get an apexi ws axleback and a car sound cat and use custom piping as suggested... (still nervous about going custom though)

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
You may want to check the Thermal stealth system too.

It's okay to have the cat slightly larger, it gets to about 4" in diameter in the middle anyway.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
SouLcHiLd1719 on Sep/06/02quote by BlueTeG: said:
"2" dc collector > 2.25" carsound cat > 2.25 b-piping > 2.25"~60mm piping adaptor> 60mm Apex muffler"

if he went from a 2.25" ID cat..to 2.25" tubing...that would be stepping down in size since the ID is actually smaller than 2.25". just a thought
While technically he is stepping down....the difference is so small that it really won't impact performance negatively, just as SuferX stated.

I contacted Dave at SMSP when I was researching a cat for my LS and gave him setup, which spec-wise is very similar to Dragon's. I posed the same question that is being debated right now. Here's my question:

SMSP
ATTN: Dave

I am a memeber of team integra.net and am researching getting a new cat for my 1998 integra LS coupe. Current mods are AEM cai, Comptech header and Comptech exhaust.

1. For a direct bolt on (straight swap) application should I go w/ the carsound 94065? I understand its the same length as the stock cat and has all the necessary O2 bungs and flanges already welded on there if I buy it from you guys.

2. I was reading about the exhaust bottleneck that occurs from the cat flange > the b-piping of most exhausts. Mike Delaney (Tuan) says you guys sell a flange that will fix it. Assuming I buy the cat from you guys, I would need a 2.25" inside diamter inlet (to mate up to the 94065 cat) with a 2.25" outside diameter (to hook up to the comptech b-piping). How much for this flange?
**Since the inside diameter of the comptech piping is slightly smaller than that of the cat will this be problem? performance wise that is?

P.S. do you guys have a website?

Thanks for your time
TI screen name: BlueTeg

Here's what he had to say about the 2.25" ID cat ---> 2.25" OD comptech piping transition:

The cat will have a 2-1/4" ID outlet and your B pipe should be about 2-1/8" ID. That isn't bad as compared to say a JDM header w/ 2-1/2" cat on an ITR which has a 2-1/2" ID on thecat outlet and a 1-3/4" ID on the B pipe. I don't know if I'd loose sleep over your set up. What you could do is just try to bevel the inlet of the B pipe flange with a round file so you get rid of the sharp edge.

The web site (www.sms-products.com) isn't up yet.

David Stadulis
SMS Products

1 - 16 of 16 Posts