Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay this is my first post but i have read alot of the info yall have compiled here and i am truly grateful ... in my 98 4dr integra , its all factory original. from the radio and owners manuel to the sterring wheel and tint(lack there of) it has no mods what so ever and only in the past 6 months got a blown head gasket done and then set since because it smokes white out the back and has no power at all when it takes off ... its literally barely crawling forward until you get to like 1400 1700 rpm and then its absolutely the opposite . Responsive and powerful feeling and most of all its smooth as a test track .... anyways i researched alot of related post and i am sure one of the methods ive learned would fix the above issues .... BUT i am gonna go with a rebuilding of the engine so i can get it out the engine bay while im getting car painted and ill know at least that the majority of the stuff on that engine are mechanically installed and built to a higher quality then average ... so my first questions are about the complete rebuild kit i found and how am i supposed to know what size the pistons and valve stuff needs be ordered at ....
..................pics show what i am as
Screenshot_20200708-235514_Samsung Internet.jpg
king about

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Your piston size will be OEM. Unless your getting the sleeves honed out to a bigger size. When your engine is apart you have to think about getting the block cleaned also. Find local machine shops that hone and deck blocks. If your there they can take measurements for you also. Then you can order the right sized pistons.
This is the time to think if you want stock or forced induction. Or just rebuild for reliability just to have. Try and speak to a local shop.

·
Administrator
3,822 Posts
Why not use OEM parts instead of some off-brand stuff?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm gonna look into OEM parts and a big concern of mine is are these types of rebuild kits worthwhile or should all the components be found separately ... Ive turned alot of wrenches but it's my first import build , I dont know the best website to use and/or when I'm seeing something useless ... I do appreciate all the advice though. I totally plan on cleaning the block when I get down there but I was honestly thinking if an in bay break down I've seen a few videos where the tear down the engine in while its mounted and then get the head done while they fo the bottom end stuff and then build back up from there but the block never leaves the car ... if that a bad idea ??

·
Administrator
3,822 Posts
Why keep the block in the vehicle? It's seriously only 4 motor mounts. You're going to need to remove the wiring harness anyway to gain access, you're going to have the head removed....it just makes sense to pull the motor.

The kits you're looking at is cheap chinese junk. Go to the dealership, or purchase from a dealership online. Find yourself an online parts catalog, and start writing down part numbers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thankd jjkz !!! I get what your saying and will definitely use your advice. I'm gonna have the car painted for the rest of summer so I'm gonna go ahead and pull the engine and rebuild it here at home while they do thier thing at the body shop ...

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've used aftermarket pistons without issues. But you're gonna want to get some name brand piston rings (nippon or oem) and rod and main bearings (I use king bearings in all my b-series rebuilds). You will definitely need a bore and hone. So that means oversize pistons. But you need to measure the bores first. The engine may have been rebuilt before. You never know. And you can just use plastigage on the rod and crank to measure. If its out of spec, then you will need work done on the crank & oversize bearings. But you have to measure everything first.

Also, I would shell out the money for an oem oil pump. Aftermarket pumps have bit my ass before. And use a name brand head gasket. Doesn't have to be honda. But not one from a kit. I've used cometic, fel-pro Mahle, and Victor reinz head gaskets. And they all worked fine & lasted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts