Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving along and car was running quiet. Then I stopped at a traffic light.
When it turned green I started off just fine then when I hit 45 mph the
exhaust got really loud and it sounded like it was vibrating but i didn't
feel it vibrate it is just how I would describe the sound. The power dropped
immediately and I heard random clanking that would come and go.

I drove 25 miles home but at every stop light the car really struggled to
get to 20 mph then 30 then 40 then 50. I got out to listen and I heard a
random popcorn popper noise under the car. Youtube videos for
"melted catalytic converters" sound like what I hear.

The exhaust shops are 25-30 miles away. Will driving the car 25-30 miles in its
current state cause damage to the engine or automatic transmission?

If so, would removing the O2 sensors help by creating holes for the exhaust
come out?

·
Administrator
3,824 Posts
Why not just disconnect the exhaust and drive it to the shop?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All I have is the tire jack so I can't lift the car up enough to get under there.
The catalytic converter is 23 years old and everything is rusted together.
I would never get the bolts off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No offence, but telling me to get it towed doesn't answer my original question.
For all I know, it may be harmless to the engine to drive there apart from putting
up with a loud exhaust and reduced power. Instead of spending $150 or more
for a 30 mile tow, I wanted to find out if I can drive the car there without damage.

·
Administrator
3,824 Posts
No offense, but nobody can answer your original question when you're not positive what is actually wrong with the car. Diagnosing the vehicle based on YouTube videos that "sound like" what you're hearing, isn't assisting anyone on here to assist you. How is anyone able to answer your question?

If there is concern of additional damage, than you should error on the side of caution, and get it towed. Could it be harmless? Sure. Could it be harmful? Sure.

I suggested above to remove the converter, and you explained that the bolts are rusty, and that you don't have a proper jack. I then recommended to have it towed, then you replied with "that's not helping". What miracle solution are you looking for? If you have your heart set on driving it, then drive it....and incur whatever possible consequences that may happen from the result. But don't come back with the reply that you did just because my option of suggestions didn't fit into your realm of possible solutions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put my head under the car and heard the catalytic converter making that noise.
The racket is coming from the catalytic converter and all the symptoms fit a clogged catalytic converter.
Maybe someone with more car experience than you can answer my simple question of
"Will a clogged catalytic converter cause engine damage if you drive the car to several
repair shops for estimates". Please don't twist my words or danced around my simple
question if you don't know the answer.

·
Administrator
3,824 Posts
I put my head under the car and heard the catalytic converter making that noise.
The racket is coming from the catalytic converter and all the symptoms fit a clogged catalytic converter.
Maybe someone with more car experience than you can answer my simple question of
"Will a clogged catalytic converter cause engine damage if you drive the car to several
repair shops for estimates". Please don't twist my words or danced around my simple
question if you don't know the answer.
Nobody knows the answer when the vehicle hasn't been properly diagnosed.

Are you provoking me with Bold text here?
Why?
Dude....calm your a$$. There's no provoking. It's the main question of my post, hence bold & red.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Again my question from post #1 is:

"Will a clogged catalytic converter cause engine or automatic transmission damage if you drive the car to several
repair shops for estimates"

Please allow someone else to answer this very specific question.

·
Administrator
3,824 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
If your going straight to the repair shop hack it off with a saw. Or use some liquid wrench and heat to get the bolts off.

Harbor Freight has cheap jack stands to buy. If your spending couple hundred on the repair at least get a decent jack and jack stands. Or borrow it from someone.
Also how will you remove the 02 sensor with a tire jack?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts