Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upon reassembling my 1996 GSR head I needed to know which "rocker shaft orifice" went where because they are different shapes (as the manual diagram shows). I want you guys to look at this page and tell me if you see something wrong (look by the blue "star" I drew in pen ink). It has to do with the head's position and the orifice labeling. The picture tells you one story, while the text tells you the opposite:

To iron this issue out I drove down to the Acura dealer and talked to the "master tech". After first trying to tell me that the side of the head with studs was the exhaust side (completely wrong, but I couldn't convince him otherwise) we came to the agreement that the TEXT was correct, the "stepped" orifice goes on the exhaust side. However the PICTURE was incorrect.

As anyone else had this issue before? Or could anyone verify that the stepped orifice does in fact go on the exhaust side?

Thanks again TI. Hopefully this helps anyone in the future

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
I'm pretty sure what's wrong with the picture is the existence of the studs. Everything else about the design of the head looks right though. Check it out:

Red circle is for the power steering pump, blue is that cap someone recently posted about that's under the distributor on the intake side. So it seems as though where the studs are is meant to be the exhaust side (at the very least 94-97 LSs had all studs on the exhaust side, not sure about other years/GSRs).

·
Registered
309 Posts
why were they taken out?

i would follow the text. they put it there for a reason..

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
KaBlookie on Dec/09/10 said:
I'm pretty sure what's wrong with the picture is the existence of the studs. Everything else about the design of the head looks right though. Check it out:

Red circle is for the power steering pump, blue is that cap someone recently posted about that's under the distributor on the intake side. So it seems as though where the studs are is meant to be the exhaust side (at the very least 94-97 LSs had all studs on the exhaust side, not sure about other years/GSRs).
Very true. And good eye on the P/S pump mounts. I got it figured out now. Would be a nice heads up for people in the future though

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is what the tech at the dealer tried to tell me. But both LS's I have owned (both were completely stock) and this 97 GSR head (that is completely stock) DO NOT have the studs on the exhaust side, only on the intake.

·
Super Moderator
7,789 Posts
nskforlife on Dec/09/10 said:
why were they taken out?

sure... but they put pictures there for a reason too... yet they don't match...

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
chickwithastick on Dec/09/10 said:
Quote: nskforlife on Dec/09/10why were they taken out?

sure... but they put pictures there for a reason too... yet they don't match...

Precisely why I went down to the dealer heh. I still want to see an OEM Integra head that has studs on the exhaust like the intake side.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I owned a white 1996 LS (the one I wrecked if you remember, hence my username). It did not have the studs on the exhaust. My 97 LS (what I have currently) does not have them either. Also my friend has a black 96 LS, it does not have the studs either.

Green Teg:

Old white teg:

Out of the three cars I specified, all of them had studs on the intake side but not the exhaust.

And here is the current VTEC head, which also has the studs on the intake side (meaning none on the exhaust):

Now I realize all of these heads have the two outer studs for alignment purposes. That is not what I am referring to. When I say a side of the head is "studded" I mean more than the two outer studs.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
^^ I was actually gonna mention the two outers too, but I figured by studded you meant all studs.

That's really weird, then, that my old engine had all studs, yet your 96 did not. It was the original engine to the car, OBD2 and all, and I distinctly remembered the studs because when I made the swap to my JDM ITR engine, I had to scramble to find 7 bolts that fit for the header.

The only thing I can think of is maybe 94s, 95s, and early production 96s had the studs, then they did away with them after that. My car was assembled I believe September or November of 95.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats true. It may have been a thing that got switch when OBD versions switched. Hmm.. Interesting none the less.

Well I guess dis-regard my OP ha. The power steering threaded bosses was a dead give away, I just missed it until you pointed it out.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
heh I guess this thread has now brought up a separate mystery...exhaust manifold studs or no? I guess someone can go through the post engine bay pics thread and see if it's pre-96s that had full studs

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
So I just went through the first 8 pages of the Post Pics of Engine Bays thread, and it seems as though all 95 and earlier LS and GSR engines have full studs, as do some 96s (again, I think it must be earlier production 96s). AcuraOemParts.com confirms this, but says that 96s only have the two-stud setup.

·
Super Moderator
9,597 Posts
My Original numbers matching B18B1 had the two-stud setup and my first B18B JDM swap had it as well, my second swap to another B18B has the 7 studs. I get the feeling that the female end of those studs is the exact same thread pitch as the bolts on other setups and it may just be a difference of what factory the motor was made in or a changing in the production line, half-way through some year.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Checking in the 94 vs 98 manuals, both have the image shown earlier in that illustration, but in the 94 on page 6-76 the picture for installing the exhaust manual shows studs, while in the 98 the same image (page 6-79) shows only the outer two studs. Could be whoever assembled the content for the manuals never noticed the change.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My original motor had two studs and then the rest were bolts, but my JDM had all studs. After looking at the Helms manual coupled with the ITR_Euro spec sheet and service manula, I think the difference is that the way they were assembled here in the US. Take a look at the motor I'm building right now. The head is a PR3-2 with a complete stud kit on it. Frankly, I think it's better for mounting the exhaust. It would have been more helpful had they incorporated a "<--Front" arrow or something in the drawings/manuals.