Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I have an old 1995 Aucra Integra Special Edition that has been sitting in my garage for a few months since I have other cars. Car has 122K miles. Car has this very strange problem where the car will start and run/idle/drive perfectly for 5-10 minutes. Then almost like clockwork, the car will begin to sputter, then stall. Then the car will just crank and then refuse to start.

If I let the car sit over night, the car starts up INSTANTLY and the same behavior will repeat. I have looked online and people have told me it could be the distributor components such as the Coil/ICM. I have changed the Coil/ICM and there was no change. Sure the car may have ran better do to the coil being old prior, but the core issue is the exact same.

If I try to continue to crank the engine, very small backfires can be randomly heard out the exhaust (of course). People have told me to change the Fuel Pump relay, but I'm not sure that could be it, as the Fuel Pump primes without issue, and after I let it sit over night, the car starts every time. I have changed the Fuel Pump relay before on my other Integra and when that relay died, the Fuel Pump didn't even prime (of course).

Since this car is barely used, and I have many other cars, and I was holding on to it strictly out of attachment issues, I am now just selling it, but would at least like to get this issue fixed for the next guy at least. Would hate to junk this car, but this issue is very very annoying. It would make sense if the car ran poorly when it turns on, but the car runs flawlessly for 5-10 minutes. Then like an out of shape athlete, it just decides it had enough and falls asleep for the night. I repeat, the distributor (coil, icm) was already changed. Wires are NGK and plugs were changed. There is no smoke or moisture out of the exhaust. Just small backfires if I try to continue to start it.

Only thing that makes sense to me is that the engine is flooded, and sitting causes the fuel to drop/settle? If anyone has any idea? Because I sure don't. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I decided to troubleshoot some more tonight and I have discovered it is heat related. It was a very cold night outside and the car ran fine for a good 30 minutes this time before it started to stall. I was able to keep the car from stalling by giving it gas, but after keeping the RPMs over 2000 for about 5 minutes past the initial 30 minutes, the car was really trying to stall. I finally just let the car stall, and it won't start up again. Once the engine cools, it will start no problem. I have already changed the distributor components as stated. Is it possible some sensor is sending incorrect data when engine reaches are certain operating temperature causing this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I decided to troubleshoot some more tonight and I have discovered it is heat related. It was a very cold night outside and the car ran fine for a good 30 minutes this time before it started to stall. I was able to keep the car from stalling by giving it gas, but after keeping the RPMs over 2000 for about 5 minutes past the initial 30 minutes, the car was really trying to stall. I finally just let the car stall, and it won't start up again. Once the engine cools, it will start no problem. I have already changed the distributor components as stated. Is it possible some sensor is sending incorrect data when engine reaches are certain operating temperature causing this?
Check the coolant temperature sensor. When it starts acting up it sends a cold temp to the Ecu even if the car is warmed up, pretty much telling it to flood the engine with fuel. Basically flooding the engine causing warm no start but perfectly fine cold starts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check the coolant temperature sensor. When it starts acting up it sends a cold temp to the Ecu even if the car is warmed up, pretty much telling it to flood the engine with fuel. Basically flooding the engine causing warm no start but perfectly fine cold starts.
Also could be a main relay getting hot and shorting

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funny. Right after posting prior, I went out to my garage with a repair manual and started looking at anything related to heat as I had already figured out it was heat related. I found out there are two sensors under the distributor, one that sends the ECU the coolant temperature, and one that sends the gauge cluster the information. I removed both and noticed the CEL engine came on and the engine idled over 1K (normal for cold start). Lo and behold, the engine ran for hours. So I took out some electronics cleaner and cleaned them (obviously), and the car now runs flawlessly. I came back to report this and looks like the previous poster was correct on one of his replies. So if anyone still has this car and is coming to look for advice, please be aware of theses described issues.

Another thing that is funny, is that since I don't use these cars much at all (I have a 94 and a 95 integra), I was going to sell them, so I threw them on CL, and on the Classified here for 750 each. Somehow CL deleted it due to some system glitch, and this forum deleted my post because apparently you can't post anything in classified ads if you are someone who hasn't been on here for awhile. I'm going to take that as a sign, and just keep them, as they run perfectly anyway.

So to recap on this. If you have changed your distributor and your car stalls after warming up. Please check the two sensors under your distributor. When engine warms up, apparently it will flood your engine causing your car to stall and not start until hours pass by.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts