Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, finally found a DA unmolested worth putting some love into.. I’m about to go pick this car up on Wednesday and it has a very unique setup. Si-R II jdm b16a with a p-72 head (Bumps the compression a tiny bit and he just happened to have this head after the b16 head bent a valve). Right now and for the last year this car has ran a pr4 non-vtec ecu, with an apexi vafc and aem wideband. The apexi is wired into the main harness at 14 points and controls all vtec functions and fuel tables within vtec range and seems to run well enough besides the redline at 7k rpms. It throws a code for a vss when he tried to install a chipped p28, the owner says that ecu has him stuck in “launch control” mode (what I think is actually limp mode).. what would be the reasoning behind that p28 doing that to this engine in a DA? My mind is set on that he got ripped off and got a fried ecu, his thoughts are that because the p28 was tuned with a speed sensor launch control, that his DA doesn’t have a vss and that’s why it does that. My understanding is that the DA9 DOES have a vss.. I’m buying the car, comes with a truckload of extra parts including the original b18 and trans. Right now it’s running an ls trans.
I just want to know what anyone’s thoughts are on where I need to go from here. If I have a good chipped p28 that I know works, would it be plug and play even with the vafc and wideband installed? My understanding is that because the vafc is piggybacking I may or may not just be able to plug in a good ecu with a b16 or gsr basemap, and I should be able to rev to 8500 after that.. Any thoughts??
ive seen footage of the car running the pr4. Yes it cracks vtec, yes the cel is on and throwing an o2 sensor code with the pr4, but I also noticed the speedo isn’t working with the pr4.
im getting the car with an extra set of webs, driver and passenger fenders, a hood, a set of tail lights and the supposedly good chipped p28, and finally the b18a1 and extra ls trans, all for 2100 bucks.. I know it’s a great deal. i would love some input on where I should take my next steps getting this car running on the proper ecu. Thanks guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nice looking car! I'm getting a while 92 back on the road myself. FYI I'm parting out two 92 GS Integras, if you are in need of any misc parts, let me know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: It’s a little bit molested.. Not in the way of low quality parts but janky ass wiring. It’s also cracking vtec from 5200 to 7k rpm on the vafc alone, needs some new top end gaskets, nothing really major. I’m in need of some help, I can’t really find any information on a b16 with a gsr head, does the gsr head (p72-2) need some sort of special treatment in the Da9? Am I going to have issues running a gsr head on the jdm block in the Da? Will the gsr injectors and head run good on a pr3 or p28? P30?? I can’t find anything on this and I’m afraid to spend 120 on a pr3 or p28 without knowing if it’s going to work. Can anyone help out here???? It appears the DA injector resistor box has been removed and it runs good on the pr4 I’m just not trying to be a stupid person and mob vtec on a damn pr4 through just the apexi vafc. I don’t trust whatever he’s tuned into the fuel tables for vtec, it doesn’t feel right and seems like it’s not properly running in vtec.. It also didn’t engage once which was super freaky but I bought it anyway. It just needs the correct wiring and ecu I just need any advice if anyone can help pleeeeeeeeez.

·
Administrator
3,685 Posts
That VAFC is garbage, and needs run-over. It's a dinosaur way of tuning from 20+yrs ago, which changes the MAP signal to fluctuate your fueling. I'm surprised your motor is still intact. Not only does it lack ignition tuning (which is important when tuning), but there's no fail-safes that can prevent any engine catastrophe. That's a pretty brave thing you're doing by putting a load like that on the motor, and not having a properly tuned setup in place.

Remove it, and rule out any irregularities that it or the wiring may have caused

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: It’s a little bit molested.. Not in the way of low quality parts but janky ass wiring. It’s also cracking vtec from 5200 to 7k rpm on the vafc alone, needs some new top end gaskets, nothing really major. I’m in need of some help, I can’t really find any information on a b16 with a gsr head, does the gsr head (p72-2) need some sort of special treatment in the Da9? Am I going to have issues running a gsr head on the jdm block in the Da? Will the gsr injectors and head run good on a pr3 I can’t find anything on this and I’m afraid to spend 120 on a pr3 or p28 without knowing if it’s going to work. Can anyone help out here????
That VAFC is garbage, and needs run-over. It's a dinosaur way of tuning from 20+yrs ago, which changes the MAP signal to fluctuate your fueling. I'm surprised your motor is still intact. Not only does it lack ignition tuning (which is important when tuning), but there's no fail-safes that can prevent any engine catastrophe. That's a pretty brave thing you're doing by putting a load like that on the motor, and not having a properly tuned setup in place.

Remove it, and rule out any irregularities that it or the wiring may have caused
Believe me, I’m not trying to have this pos in my car after tomorrow. It was darn cheap for everything I got, I didn’t over pay at least. You’re right though and I was waiting for someone to agree with me and tell me to run that mf over. I hate looking at it. I want to burn it in a fire. Hopefully not my own car fire.
I appreciate the advice thank you. I absolutely did not try to engage vtec but one or two times on that pr4, but who knows how many times they raced around with this poor car running the wrong ecu with some trash ass 90’s fast and furious tuning product. I’m also surprised this motor is intact and runs as well as it does. I now have it on a chipped p28 with the proper si-r basemap.
once again, thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts