Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 1990 Integra Gs, auto, with 177k on it...the problem(I think) is the fuel pump/system...It turns over and then runs for about 2 seconds and dies with no further noise, just vroom vroom and then dies (i didnt kno how else to put that). Any one have any suggestions?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, if the insurance company doesnt feel like eating my money up, i might b able to afford it, thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
28 Posts
My car has had that same problem for years. It starts most of the time but every now and then it will decide not to start. The RPMs will go up to around 2200 and then the car will just conk out. I've tried replacing the spark plugs with Bosch platinum plugs and that seemed to help, also try checking your fuel injectors. Good Luck.

·
Registered
312 Posts
my car does that when it's hot out. (or when the engine's hot)

that's the one and oNLY reason why i like winter...lol.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the hints...i am going to start with least expensive parts and go on from there, fuel filter,battery, dist. cap and coil, fuel rail and injectors for blockages, and then the fuel pump if its broken or not...thanks again

·
Registered
78 Posts
whats up ...it may have ben mentioned before but try the main fuel relay under the driver dash. it only costed me $ 60.00 and was easy to find and install,just unplug the old and plug in the new...now my car starts everytime and no problems since,even car dying out...won't happen anymore. do a search it's still in here somewhere.

·
Registered
24 Posts
before you replace parts that you may not need.
when your car dies are the lights on? the battery light,brake,etc.
if not yet us know.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
yeah...my fuel pump relay died on my 1990 ls 4 door. $58 later problem sovled.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I have had the same problem, but it has happened to me most in the summer. It was my fuel pump and system. so try to get that cleaned out and see what happens. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

·
Registered
47 Posts
jo_moped on Mar/01/04 said:
it may be the little computer chip inside the distributor. its about 100 bucks at a auto store. that what mine did and that part fixed it
theres a computer chip in the dizzy?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i will try the relay switch since you guys seem to agree, much cheaper than the whole damn system..thanks for the tips again

·
Registered
26 Posts
The main fuel relay is a pretty common culprit, it most often shows itself in the summer. Most of the time you can take the cover off of it and resolder the connections and it's good again. It seems like they all do this eventually.

·
Registered
48 Posts
throwing a check engine light? make sure your fuel pump is plugged up and functioning. When you turn your car to the on position, listen for the little whirring sound it makes. Maybe something a good tune up would fix. If you don't know much about cars (or sometimes even if you do), it may even be a good idea to take it to a reputable mechanic and have them check it. Sometimes it comes out cheaper than replacing a bunch of stuff that doesn't solve the problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
my step dad is a toyota mechanic and is reputable...believe me...he has at least 3 other cars to be worked on at home from customers from his old shop...anyway, i didnt really kno to listen for the whirl sound, but I read that in the Haynes manual...nor do i kno if it throws an check engine light..I do kno a decent amount about cars. Thanks for luck, might need it. I only have my permit (done laughing?) but it gets fixed when i get my juniors license,6 months from now :-(

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
90IntegraGs87 on Mar/07/04 said:
my step dad is a toyota mechanic and is reputable...believe me...he has at least 3 other cars to be worked on at home from customers from his old shop...anyway, i didnt really kno to listen for the whirl sound, but I read that in the Haynes manual...nor do i kno if it throws an check engine light..I do kno a decent amount about cars. Thanks for luck, might need it. I only have my permit (done laughing?) but it gets fixed when i get my juniors license,6 months from now :-(
ah, your starting with the right car so no need to laugh at all

Later,
jared

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I cant wait to get it running, i have always dreamed of owning an Integra or Civic...with a full body kit on it and all riced up

1 - 19 of 19 Posts