Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IT looks to me like allot of people have set there igintion to 18 degrees. I have a friend that is a shop supervisor at honda dealership and asked bout some stuff and told me, u can advance ur timing so i said can u do it, then he did but cant remeber how much all i kno is that it was safe...... NOW MY question is did anyone get a hotter engine by doing this because i DID!!! and didnt really feel much or anything for HPs did u????

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Borrow someone's timing light and check ignition timing yourself. He could have done it incorrectly. He could have forgotten to jump the service connector.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
service connecter?????? he did check the timing with the scope. And ohh i forgot i returned it to stock setting.

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
yes, advancing the spark timing will run hotter temps.

when you advance the timing, the cylinder pressures go up. From your high school chemistry, you will know the gas law that relates Pressure (P), Temperature (T), and Volume (V)in a closed container: PV = nRT.

Since n, R, and V are constant, and increase in P will directly cause an increase in T.

well air is a gas (21% oxygen) and your cylinder is a closed container with a fixed Volume (displacement)....

You may want to read my explanation of what advancing the timing actually does inside the engine in the articles....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts