Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about swtiching off my 17x7, Tenzo SHU-4's to some otherwise lighter rim that weighs less than 19.5lbs ; to some 16x7, Rota Circuit 8 that weighs 13 lbs... Knowing that I dropped my car 2 inches back and front, will my car get lower because im switching from 17's to 16's? I need this info before buying the rims because I just dont want my GS-R that low. thankz.

·
Super Moderator
14,177 Posts
as long you properly plus sized the tires with the 17's and you do it again with the 16's you'll be fine

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tony4311 on Sep/01/02 said:
as long you properly plus sized the tires with the 17's and you do it again with the 16's you'll be fine
So how would I do that? The tire size I have on is "205/40/17" how would I convert that to a tire size equal to that but in 16x7 tires?

·
Registered
16 Posts
205/45/16 is the right size, and this will make you car slightly lower than 205/40/17 by about 1/10 of an inch.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Darryn on Sep/02/02 said:
205/45/16 is the right size, and this will make you car slightly lower than 205/40/17 by about 1/10 of an inch.
2 questions:
1) Is that going to cause any rubbing on the fender while turning; because you are increasing the tire by 205/40 to 205/45, because my tires right now are about a 1/2 of an inch fender gap (i have a 2 inch drop).

2) So if I get 205/50 tire size would that higher my car and eliminate that 1/10 of an inch unwanted drop
?

Im new to tires so its better I get help here, than at the tire store where they might try to sell me a tire that drops my car to the floor. thankz.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I had 205/45/16 Pirelli 7000zs to start off with...
I then went to dunlop sp10s 205/45/16. The Pirellis went fast and were expensive!

Next I went to bf goodrich 205/40/16s MESSED UP MY WHEELS!! no sidewall whatsoever! The rear tire rubbed on the body every now and then!! The tire salesman said that I would have no problem..yeah right! except for bent wheels and a tire that failed!

I now have 205/45/16 Nitto NT450..no problems at all.
40 doesn't have much sidewall. You could find your wheels messed up and the tires are a bad size recommendation. With 50s you will lose a bit of the sleek, thin sidewall look. However with 45s your tires and wheels should be fine and will look good.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now that I have made the decision to take 45 series tires how about increasing the width of the tire? to 210 or 215? because 205 seems to skinny, will that cause any rubbing or any problems at all while turning or driving? My main concern is my fenderwall and not rubbing.

·
Registered
417 Posts
You can, for the most part, go to 210 or 215. You may have some problems with the fit though. when I first got my wheels (back in 95) I asked the tire place if I could go bigger. at this point the car wasn't even lowered. They said that it was best to do 205. It wasn't a money issue for me that would have kept me from 210 or 215. I had about 3 grand to spend on tires& wheels. I'm sure that there are ways to put 210 or 215 on with some sort of modification..Just letting you know what I've experienced.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
There is no such thing as a 210 tire size. They only have either 205 or 215.

As long as you have the right offset for the rims, you shouldn't have any rubbing issues. Don't go too big on the tire since you are making a trade off for lighter wheels... I'm assuming you want more performance so keep the tire to te correct size and your performance will not suffer.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sak on Sep/06/02 said:
There is no such thing as a 210 tire size. They only have either 205 or 215.

As long as you have the right offset for the rims, you shouldn't have any rubbing issues. Don't go too big on the tire since you are making a trade off for lighter wheels... I'm assuming you want more performance so keep the tire to te correct size and your performance will not suffer.
Ok thankz for the help, so I am going with 205/45/16 but just for the my sake what is the keeping the offset of the rim? is that 16x7= offset???

·
Registered
417 Posts
Thanks to SAK for clarifying the "no 210s" thing.
I'll file it in my mental database.

Hey dohcgsr,

Have you needed spacers in the past? on my MOMO Arrows, I needed to put spacer rings so that the wheels wouldn't look "wobbly" when driving down the road. By the way the Nitto NT450 ran me $90 each and are doing great!

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
16x7 is the wheel size. The offset is something else. It should be like 42 or something like that. 40 will be okay too but sometimes it really depends on how low you are dropped. Go here for an explanation of offset.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ace1972 on Sep/08/02 said:
Thanks to SAK for clarifying the "no 210s" thing.
I'll file it in my mental database.

Hey dohcgsr,

Have you needed spacers in the past? on my MOMO Arrows, I needed to put spacer rings so that the wheels wouldn't look "wobbly" when driving down the road. By the way the Nitto NT450 ran me $90 each and are doing great!
No I havent needed any spacers , I just keep my tires in good maintainance meaning proper air pressure, balance ,rotation every oil change (thats just me)and my tires never are wobbly. I have Yokohama Paradas on with the SHU-4's. Where did you go for the Nittos? Local or mail order?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Dohcgsr,

I actually had to do the spacers because of an offset that there is with the arrows on an integra. I rotate at 4K, do the oil at 3k and check the air pressure every first of the month. That's not what would make your tires wobbly with certain types of wheels.

I got the Nittos from a local shop where I got my arrows from back in the day. The salespeople there had quoted me $125 a tire. The owner who sold me the Arrows, quoted me $ 90 a tire and he banged out the dings and bends that had happened to the tires for free. I got out of there for $400 even.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
DOHCGSR on Sep/08/02 said:
O almost forgot thanks SAK for all the help.
No problem... that's what this board is for right?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts