Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I got a 17130-PM6-G01 from a honda dealer, cause the mechanic told me it whould be better for my catch can setup.

What engine is the PM6 from ?

What do you think, can use it in my ITR engine without problems, is this a good update for my catch can setup.
Will it decrease the pressure in my block or not ?

Thanks in advance.

Pinota

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
I'd get the PCV valve for a Type R, and just connect the catch can to that on one side and to the IM on the other.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I did some tests on my stock GSR system with the mods listed in my profile and it is perfectly adequate. A catch can in a properly designed CLOSED system (which ours is) MIGHT be able to better separate the oil from the air - that would be it's only possible advantage. Changing to a higher flow PCV valve will increase the flow rate under most conditions, but will have little effect at WOT when there is almost no vacuum in the IM. Unless you have majorly increased blowby, why would you need any extra flow? If you have majorly increased blowby and step up to a higher flow PCV valve then most of the time you will be sucking more oil vapor into the engine. What will cost you more HP, this increased ingestion of oil vapor or the increased crankcase pressure? It's not so simple. Under WOT conditions the vapor will follow the path of least restriction and go mainly out the valve cover to intake tube connection. The flow rate at WOT will not change substantially with a higher flow rate PCV valve. A CLOSED systems MAIN purpose is not increased performance. Some disagree with me. Look here.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If i disconnect the tube on the IM the idle will go up to 3000 rpm. When i connect it again the idle stays at +-870 rpm.
Why that happen.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Did you plug the fitting on IM when you disconnected the tube?If not its a vacuum leak and would cause your idle to go up.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
MD,
So you are running the Endyn sytem in an open configuration correct?
A properly designed closed system will maintain a slight vacuum under all conditions which is the case with my stock '99 GSR closed system. This system is actually better than a totally open system (one that has no conection to the intake manifold or intake tube and hence is not capable of pulling a vacuum in the crankcase) at keeping blowby vapors from contaminating the oil since it is always maintains POSITIVE (hence it's name) airflow through the crankcase. A totally open system is only a venting system and if properly designed, will just vent any blowby to the atmosphere and only keep the pressure in the crankcase from becoming above atmospheric. The oil will become contaminated more quickly with the open system because it isn't constantly flowing air; it only vents. This is the main purpose of a positive crankcase ventilation system, to increase engine life through reduced oil contamination. Older cars used to use what I would call a partially open system (one that had a PCV valve and connection to IM but had an open breather on the valve cover). These systems would maintain a positive flow at almost all times except at high load, low vacuum conditions when the IM connection could not maintain a high enough flow rate to keep up with the increased blowby. Under these conditions, the excess blowby would be vented directly to atmosphere through the open valve cover breather. Today it is not acceptable to vent directly to atmosphere, so the valve cover connection is hooked up to the intake tube or air filter so that no vapors ever escape directly to the atmosphere. This is a closed system. If the connection to the intake tube or air cleaner is placed properly then when the IM vacuum is low under high load and cannot keep up with the incresed blowby, the intake manifold connection will now actually have a slight vacuum due to the increased speed of the air flowing past it (venturi effect) so it will always maintain some positive flow, unlike the partially open system that would only be venting under these conditions. The really old cars had only a tube that went down under the car (road draft tube) that used the airflow past the car to help pull the vapors out.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
MD,
I would hope not. It would be a rare occurence especially on a well maintained car with an educated owner. But we are the exceptions to the rule, and even I have made a mistake that has caused a backfire. I did it just this weekend on a Chevy 350 when I had to reroute someone else's sparkplug wire install. Actually, I did it twice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts