Team Integra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sure I jumped timing. I started it a few days ago and i stalled it by accident, then everytime i started it, it would run at a really low idle for 5-10 seconds, then shut off. I considered a bad fuel pump or fuel pump relay. I got it home and at that point it would only start if i sprayed starting fluid in the throttle body, so i figured no fuel was getting to the motor.

I replaced the relay, and I can hear the fuel pump priming when i turn the car on, and i pulled the fuel hose to the fuel rail and had someone start it, and fuel came out, so i know its getting fuel to the motor. I replaced the spark plugs (which were all bad) and now i can get it to start without the starting fluid, BUT, it still idles low and shuts off.

I have no check engine light on, but thats the only thing left. Its getting Fuel, Spark, and Air. The only other reason for the car not to run is if I jumped timing when I stalled it. At Acura they told me its common for RSX's to jump timing when being started or at low RPM's, especially if the timing chain and tensioneer have not been serviced and its past 100,000 miles, they could be loose.

It wont run for more than 10 seconds so Im assuming I jumped more than 1 tooth on the cams =/ I just need tips on loosening the tensioneer and lining the cams back up if anybody has done this before. I've done it on my 94 Integra before but the guys at Acura said K20's are alot more complicated. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
757 Posts
Did you check to see f your timing lines up? Put your motor at TDC then check and make sure that the cams are in the correct position. K series motors use timing chains, not belts buts thats as much as i know.

·
Registered
263 Posts
they stretch.. the new chain has three links that are dark... those are the three marks that get lined up on the crank n two cams

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, i'm about to pull it apart now and take a look. At first I thought it was a fuel problem since I wasnt throwing any codes for Crankshaft Position Sensor or anything, but I've tried everything else, and this makes sense, it has 109,000 and I haven't serviced the chain or tensioneer, so this is a possibility

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok i definately jumped timing. i pulled the valve cover off and my cams don't match up to TDC. Where do I go from here? how do I fix this?

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I would replace at least the tensioner (since it is highly possible that is why it slipped to begin with). Only replace the chain if it is normally replaced at that 100k interval, otherwise it should be fine.

Invest in a Helm's manual for the car, it will have information about the chain (stretch range, replacement interval, etc..).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts