Team Integra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it correct that it's no longer necessary to adjust the position of the distributor while using a timing light in order to correct the ignition timing in a 2001 GS?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How else would you correct timing? Why do you think it's "no longer necessary"?
I read that in a few other threads, that adjusting the distributor position is no longer necessary in 2000-2001 integras because timing is done entirely through the computer. I'm just trying to verify if this is true.
I had to replace the distributor on my '01 GS and just positioned it straight up, in the middle of the range of motion in the bracket. It seems to run fine. I'm just wondering if I need to get a timing light and check it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
No matter what year of vehicle (OBD1 OR 2), base timing still needs to be set by using a timing light and the distributor adjusted to 16btdc.
I've heard people here and on other Honda/Acura forums saying you don't have to adjust base timing on OBD2. But it's a fallacy. You still need a timing gun to set base ignition timing. They are cheap. And can also be rented for free. But if you plan on owning the car for any amount of time, it's worth investing in a timing gun.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've heard people here and on other Honda/Acura forums saying you don't have to adjust base timing on OBD2. But it's a fallacy. You still need a timing gun to set base ignition timing. They are cheap. And can also be rented for free. But if you plan on owning the car for any amount of time, it's worth investing in a timing gun.
Thanks for the reply. I have a timing gun, but I also read and see in some videos that the computer has to be shorted at a particular connector. I have no idea which connector that is, does anyone know?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yeah, what you are referring to is the 2 pin plug, on the passenger side kick panel, when shorted, lets you pull Cel codes on the dash.

I think that is the correct way. Bring it up to operating temperature, then short the pins with a paperclip. Then set timing. Then remove paperclip.

But I'm not 100% sure if that is the correct way. I would suggest downloading the factory service manual. I forget which forum has them for download. I would use google. It's on one of these forums.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts