Team Integra Forums banner

Type R exhaust

33K views 35 replies 23 participants last post by  junoroadcone 
#1 ·
hey guys, there used to be a article where josh (surferx) had compared the mufflers of the different teg line up, and well i'm currently interested into upgrading my muffle to the R muffler, just need some insite on it.. so i just replace the muffler, rear section, or the whole cat back...

my reason behind this is that I want a very quiet exhaust, but still with a desent note and the ovious stock look..

#5 ·
The Type R article still has the cross-sectional comparison of the regular Integra and Type R mufflers.

on your LS it should be a direct swap. I would go with the full exhaust though, the muffler won't make much difference other than giving you a shiny 3" slash-cut tip.

#7 ·
lol, so the cat back would be a direct fit on my stock exhaust manifold? ey!.. well, where can i go about getting one of these, u still got yours josh? lol..

and how most boost of power/torque i'm looking at? i know not much, but stilll

Frank

#8 ·
From the outside you could hear a difference, inside of the car it will sound stock.

KLN got my stock muffler and exhaust, and his Teg is gone so good luck getting it from him haha. I doubt you'll get any performance gains with just the muffler, if you got the full exhaust probably be as good as most 2.25" systems out there.

#11 ·
I had the Type-R muffler mounted to my stock B-pipe ('94 GS-R) for about a 1.5 months and I notice an improvement in acceleration above 5,500 rpm and I only slightly deeper exhaust tone.

About a month and a half ago, I had the Type-R B-pipe lengthened and installed and the improvement is very noticeable and above 5,500 rpms the car really pulls hard (more so than above). The tone is just slightly louder than the stock B-pipe and Type-R muffler.

I have been extremely pleased with the performance of the Type-R cat-back exhaust and I also like the sound of the exhaust. The sound is only slightly louder and deeper than stock (which is nice and it doesn't attract a lot of attention).

I highly recommend the Type-R cat-back exhaust. BTW, I bought mine new.

The B-pipe (part #18220-ST7-R60) has a dealer list price of $206.02 and the muffler (part #18030-ST7-Z61) has a list price of $241.67. I would recommend checking out www.acuraautomotiveparts.net . The B-pipe is $164.81 and the muffler is $193.33 . I actually know someone that works at an Acura dealership and I got the B-pipe and muffler for about $300. one good thing about the buy the Type-R muffler and B-pipe, is that they have a lifetime warranty. If they ever go bad, Acura will replace it free.

#12 ·
i have a itr muffler on my gsr and i love it. it looks clean and sounds clean u cant even hear it. the itr muffler has a better design than the gsr and ls muffler. the itr muffler is based on performance design. i just need 2 get the piping done 2 complete my exhaust system. i got mine off some guy from SHO, but the dealer will sell teh muffler for 240 i called on it

#16 ·
Here is a small video clip (almost 70 megs -- AVI format) that I did of my stock Type R muffler today so that you guys can hear what it sounds like (those that don't already have one):

http://creamybeaver.myftp.org/files/typerexhaust/ITR_Exhaust.zip

My car is a '97 RS .. I have a cheap Pacesetter header with stock cat, stock catback, and the Type R axleback. I do have the Type R b-pipe but it is from a JDM ITR so I have to have it modified before I can put it on my car. As you can tell from the video, my exhaust suffers from the "buzzing" that everyone else has mentioned. This is only noticeable from the outside of the car. From the insided it sounds identical to the stock muffler and the AEM intake drowns it out when you hammer on the gas.

#17 ·
there is a company by the name of Walker that produces mufflers that look and sound stock, but with better performance than OEM. The mufflers also dont come with any sort of deadening material in them so there is nothing to burn or create clogs down the line. I have had one in my car for six months and its exactly what i wanted. plus it weighs about half as much as OEM...its a win/win/win situation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.