best way to launch... - Page 2 - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 06:46 PM

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
can anyone explain the difference of feathering/dumping to me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Feathering: Keeping it right at the catch point until you gain traction, then releasing.

Dumping: Revving it up to desired RPM then just letting the clutch out, this is often pretty harsh on the tranny. And you'll probably just sit there and spin.

As you read, both can be done, feathering then dumping.

2012 Mitsubishi Evolution X - 355 awhp / 350 awtq. Stock Turbo
2015 Lexus NX200T - Wife's Daily
2004 Honda Accord EX-L - Daily
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
while we are talking about it has anyone ever drivon a teg without v-tec and drives or has driven one with v-tec? and how different does it feel? i want to drive a v-tec just once to see what its like cause all i have is a 94 ls....but if i odnt sell my teg in a couple of years im going to engine swap for a b18c engine...

RobJob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-28-2002, 11:27 AM

Articles: 40
I used to own an LS and traded it in for a Type R so I know what both cars are like. There is quite a bit of difference between the cars. The Type R feels more violent when accelerating into VTEC while the LS's power is smooth because of it's earlier torque. Launching with the Type R I've found you can do it at a higher RPM while the LS needed to be a little lower to be able to grab.
TustinIntegra92 likes this.

#01-0379
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-23-2003, 01:52 AM

Articles: 1
I've driven both too LS and GSR just as SurferX said.
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-23-2003, 02:25 AM

Feedback Score: 20 reviews
I have an RS and I test drove an R. WHOA! The R is just plain sick....I don't think I hit VTEC though cuz the salesman was with me...I didn't wanna drive it too harsh....also it handles alot better too...everything was so much better!!Great...now I'm sad...I wish I had an ITR

(\__/)
(o.O )
(> < )
My daily driven turbo'd JDM 'Teg **RIP** 05/02/10
Now: 2003 3.2 CL Type-S, 6-Speed
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 06:29 PM

The most important part in launching your car is knowing your car. Like most of the previous people have stated...practice, practice, practice!! Certain cars with different setups can launch at different rpms. When I had a stock GSR motor, I launched the mofo at 5000 rpms with stock rims and tires, and the mofo took off. What I find helps is to raise your rpm to the level that works best for your car, then ease off the clutch just before the engagement point and hold it there, then when the mofo between you and the guy you're about to smoke down drops his hands, slam on the gas and release the clutch at the same time and WHOAAA!!!

If god created man, then WHO CREATED GOD!! "He was just there," is neither an intelligent or good enough answer.
post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 06:58 PM

Feedback Score: -1 reviews
I would have to recommend against feathering unless you have a strong clutch though... I used to feather my clutch on the launches and I could get awesome launches, but after not too long it burned my clutch out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StyleTEG on Jul/14/02
Practice is the best way

Go out to a deserted area and practice launching.

Rev up to 3-5k, and then try dumping or feathering the clutch. See at what RPM you can get a good launch with out too much wheelspin, and see which works better feathering or dumping the clutch.

Founder and Member #1 of the "Stop Telling Other People How To Mod Their Cars Club." '95 Bahama Blue SE My car's webpage
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 07:07 PM

Garage
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
I have to start at 2800 rpm or else I get a very bad case of wheel hop.(maybe because I only paid $25 each for my tires)

I hate new people, just a FYI

Saying gun kill people is like saying the keyboard misspelled the work

I don't care what you do at home, keep it to yourself.
post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-15-2003, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferX on Jul/27/02
Get yourself some $30 motor mount inserts to reduce wheel hop. They did wonders for me and wheel hop is almost non-existant, the only thing holding me back now are the traction of my tires. What I've found works for me now is to let the clutch out quickly and feather the gas as the tires get traction.
Where can I get some of these? I dont understand exactly what they do/look like, I've prolly seen them but the name doesnt ring a bel...

The History of AdamOnes' Integra "This car is too fast for me... It gives me whiplash when that Tech-V kicks in."
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-15-2003, 09:03 PM

Surfer: so far, what's your opinion of the vibration difference from the stock to poly mounts? Hardly bearable, non-issue, minor annoyance, etc.?

Sold: 1995 Integra GSR 2.0L 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-15-2003, 09:10 PM

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamones on Mar/15/03
Quote: SurferX on Jul/27/02Get yourself some $30 motor mount inserts to reduce wheel hop. They did wonders for me and wheel hop is almost non-existant, the only thing holding me back now are the traction of my tires. What I've found works for me now is to let the clutch out quickly and feather the gas as the tires get traction. Where can I get some of these? I dont understand exactly what they do/look like, I've prolly seen them but the name doesnt ring a bel...
Energy Suspension, I believe, makes a good set.

post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth 95 GS-R on Jul/26/02
I rev up to about 5500 and feather it just to get the car moving, then dump it. I get a little chirp from the tires, and I stay in VTEC the entire time. That is the best way I have found for my car. BTW, I have some Kumho tires, so it may be different for the crappy stockers.

-Andrew

If I try taking off at over 4500 RPM I end up breaking one of my axles.

I just created my first signature file. I will like to thank my self for the creation.. ; ) [email protected]#!k it, Don't even think about it!!! Drive 'em HARD!!!
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 02:01 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yeh.. dumping SUCKS on a 6-puck clutch. It feels like your car's going to break in half when you do..

I'm really not happy with my clutch mostly because I live in Los Angeles, home of the traffic jams. on any normal night when I'm going from place to place without traffic, I love the instant power it gives me, but given where I live, it's not worth it.

I've driven with the 6-puck for almost a year, and it's just not cool even now! I've gotten it to where I can accelerate / engage smoothly, so it's not SO bad. Either way, though, it requires more effort than it's worth to drive in traffic. blah to my clutch!

As for launching, feather / dump method works best for me.. Release / Feather / Engage / Dump / Head Jerk.

For the Non-Vtec vs Vtec cars.. Yeah, I went from LS, to LS-Turbo, to LS-Vtec Turbo. In each stage of the mods, there was a dramatic increase in power and "head jerk." When vtec kicks in, it's an incredible feeling of power. It feels like power is finally being released for use. I've set my vtec engagement at 5000rpm, a little late for my small turbo, but it's nice nonetheless.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page