Team Integra Forums banner

ls meshes-update (aircraft remover not as good as i thought)

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  b18c1love 
#1 · (Edited)

I'm sure alot of us have seen these wheels online, and I'm really wanting to do this. does anyone have a pic they can post with something like this (back and sides painted black) mounted so I can get a better feel. I can't find anything anywhere but assumed someone has tried the same idea

As soon as I strip this horrible spray job with aircraft remover and get em looking like the picture above I'll post some before and afters

Also as far as getting some aftermarket lugs, I wanna look for acorn bulge??(is this correct for the stock meshes)

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
ls meshes (aircraft remover not as good as i thought)

Is this oxidation or clear coat peeling?
There were two different paint jobs on these wheels one on top of the other
I couldn't get all the paint off I even applied the remover twice
I'm left with these horrible looking wheels and hours and hours of polishing in front of me
The areas where the paint did come off was looking great until this morning when I saw this, not really sure what it is, this is my first time doing anything like this

#6 ·
get the spread on stripper, not the spray can.

#7 ·
wait you thought you could just peal off the paint and repaint... no way bro... you gotta sand them puppies so they come out good... I agree about the spray aircraft stripper, that does not work, I got 6 pairs of latex gloves (3 per hand) and brushed on the stripper... yes this stuff will eat through gloves (so if your hand feels "cold" it is eating through the gloves)

sanded and ready for prime

#8 ·
you'll have to sand the wheel completely before doing anything if you want good results. it's all in the prep-work!

as for the aircraft remover - for the spray can stuff, you NEED to scrape the paint off after you've layered it on and let it sit for 25-30 minutes. don't forget gloves! after that, if you're painting the surface, just sand the surface to get a good smooth surface, then layer the paint on.

if you're polishing, there's a nice long road ahead of you if you want a really nice polish finish. + re-polishing every month or so

#12 ·
Yeah all I had was a garden hose pressure was OK but could've been better
At this point I'm just gonna use some thinner I have and hit each spot that has the paint remaining

As far as going for this look does anyone suggest painting the whole wheel then removing the surface paint or taping off the already polished surface and then painting
I noticed morningz had done this exact same thing with the taping then painting approach

#13 ·
x3 on the can of aircraft stripper. Its dam near useless in an aerosol can. Let it sit for 30+ mins in the sun should do the trick. The partially stripped wheel pic looks like a mixture of oxidation and aircraft stripper residue. Aircraft stripper doesn't come off clean if left on for extended amount of time in my experience. Best of luck on the polishing you have a long project ahead of you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.