Quarter Panel replacment! - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quarter Panel replacment!

My rs teg has developed a bad case of honda cancer since i bought it. So its been long overdue that i fix it the right way. being my first major body welding i took my time reading and looking at the best way to go about fixing them. This is a running log of my progress so far. hopefully this might be helpful to others needing to do the same or similar repair.
So far I've cut out the effected area plus a good mount of good metal to be sure theres no rust left on the panel. also i wanted to cut it on the body crown line so that i can maintain a straight guide to measure off of. If bought a replacement panel from a online junkyard instead of a new one from the o.e.m. factory cause it was cheaper. it cost about 300 shipped... but a word of caution in order to save time the guys at the salvage yard take a sawzall to the body and cut more than enough extra metal so i got the outer quarter panel the inner panels, part the floor, half the rear inner frame, the quarter glass, the rockers, the wheel tub, and part of the subframe. What this means is that i needed to do a good amount of cutting up the parts i didn't need this was a pain in the ass but some what necessary for my case because i needed the tub and part of the rocker. just keep that in mind how much of your time is worth when picking a new or used one.
The next step was matching up the cuts from the new panel and the body in order to hang it nice and square and in place. after that i welded them together and grinned the hell out of it. heres a few pics unfortunately i cant find my before pics with the actual rusted areas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130102_165610.jpg
Views:	11636
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	5265   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130119_163413.jpg
Views:	9303
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	5273   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130119_163425.jpg
Views:	2127
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	5281  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 04:15 PM

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Wow your gunna have to mud the shit out of that to get a nice finish... because that metal is so thin you can only grind it down so much before the metal heats up toomuch.. i replaced my whole panel just like you did and with the same exact clip as you described and i welded the panel up by above the quarter glass...

We had to remove some spot welds of even the roof to properly get the panels under each other because theres the outer panels, inner panels and sometimes panels inbetween..

In your case i would have removed each spot weld from the outer shell on the new clip, and do the same on your teg and simply re weld all the spot welds after all proper measurements. This is how it should properly get done honestly. The only welds that would have actually went across any exterior panel would be ybe up in the skinny a pillar area above the quarter glass

Just my opinion
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 10:36 PM

True. you should take out the back glass and take out the quarter glass and cut the quarter panel at the c pillar and on the rocker. You need to take out all the spot welds all around the quarter panel up the part where you need to cut the quarter ( at cpillar and rocker). All Data also calls for a sleeve on the c pillar for hondas and acuras. You would have to weld less and use less bondo. It will leave a better and stronger repair. It will look better when it is all said and done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 01:51 PM

Going to the factory weld locations is always ideal, if that cant be done, section at the smallest area possible. Usually sections are done on the c and b pillar on our cars or similar body styles. That would have been a much better repair.
Anyone reading this and planning on doing their quarters, DO NOT do what was done above. The amount of heat put into that large of a weld has undoubtably warped the hell out of both panels. And cutting a body line should be avoided at all costs, much less cutting on it to use as a guide. Im sorry but this thread should be deleted to save any others that might mimic this repair the tremendous headache this guy has ahead of him.
Kudos to a ballsy repair, youre going to learn a lot...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 20 reviews
That frame looks rotted through....that can't be good.

2012 Mitsubishi Evolution X - 355 awhp / 350 awtq. Stock Turbo
2015 Lexus NX200T - Wife's Daily
2004 Honda Accord EX-L - Daily
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melloball View Post
Going to the factory weld locations is always ideal, if that cant be done, section at the smallest area possible. Usually sections are done on the c and b pillar on our cars or similar body styles. That would have been a much better repair.
Anyone reading this and planning on doing their quarters, DO NOT do what was done above. The amount of heat put into that large of a weld has undoubtably warped the hell out of both panels. And cutting a body line should be avoided at all costs, much less cutting on it to use as a guide. Im sorry but this thread should be deleted to save any others that might mimic this repair the tremendous headache this guy has ahead of him.
Kudos to a ballsy repair, youre going to learn a lot...

this is like a tripple repeat of what I said in response to the o.p. This thread should get Closed..
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 11:09 PM

Yeah I just wanted to back your statement as well as state that this thread should be closed or viewed as things to avoid. Anything to save a member pain in the future.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 06:51 PM

May I ask which site did you get those panels from? I need one bad and most of the Integras in Canada here are rusty :s

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 05:44 PM

Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Thats a pain in the ass. I just cut out an inch past the rust, then make a sheet metal replacement panel an weld it in slowly. Keeping the area as small as possible makes it easier for final fiberglass an filler. With a weld that large it is VERY easy to warp the entire quarter panel, an then its game over..

Here is an example of my method..

And the final results..

I would never accept that from my paint guy..
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTegra97RS View Post
May I ask which site did you get those panels from? I need one bad and most of the Integras in Canada here are rusty :s

Thanks Nick for those pics!! That would be the max. Cut out/patch I'd do before replacing a qtr skin (depending cost differences, body lines etc) and your body work has to be on point so you won't see where you welded.

I'd advise you to also take the same advice we gave the OP as it looks like you disturbed the ext. panel more then you should like.. The wheel well doesn't have to look perfect but it would also probably be easier to do the complete section (follow the spot welds).
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 07:22 PM

Garage
Iím about to tackle the same issue now in 2018... i post a thread in project section on the forum and pics in my garage if you want to see more and learn about my current project.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AB8B9C1F-0C36-4F9D-A220-C679ADF08D89.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	287.2 KB
ID:	79480   Click image for larger version

Name:	1ACF8869-B764-42ED-9206-5C928B7A08D1.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	79482   Click image for larger version

Name:	108856BA-E896-4340-B2A5-227DCAD82414.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	79484   Click image for larger version

Name:	61A34134-FE10-43CC-B3DD-8E946FF2449C.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	79486   Click image for larger version

Name:	5FE78467-2278-40C2-B5F0-598BC406A374.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	79488  

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 01:14 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JDMJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to JDMJNKY
I like the trial and error approach to this. don't given up. The skills you're putting into effect will be invaluable one day. We may not all agree on the "proper" repair that's happening but at least your out there looking for improvement. Just take your time, don't rush things; and remember, you're spending your time, so spend it wisely - The same way we do the dollar.

Best of luck.

1213 AFFILIATION - JDMKIDS | CALI LOVE | AS1 FAMILIA
1213 AFFINITY - Integra Log | NITE GRIND TRANSMISSIONS | GRIPSET | NASTIE GARAGE | CALI LOVE CLOTH. |

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page