There are some names of people that are coming that I don't recognize, so let me share some info about next week's event:
- RULE #1
: DO NOT drive in the crazy areas of the Dragon all by yourself with no other cars with you. If something happens, you are at the mercy of people in the area which could be few and far between. I could tell you hours upon hours of horror stories of people getting absolutely f--cked because something happened to the car and no one else was around. You cannot depend on cell service
- RULE #2: See rule #1
- Timeframe: Weds-Sun, although some get there before and leave after, everyone's vacation is different!
- Facebook event: search for "Dragons Running 2019"
- Main goal: As always, get "tony-buncha-numbers" (official username: tony4311) hammered, I've found that moonshine works well for this task. With that you get hours of entertainment: spilled coolers, inventive uses of chairs as umbrellas, warnings at full volume at 2am telling everyone to shut up, all good times! He's the best and he's been part of this website since it's beginning in 2000.
- Location: Fontana Village (website
/ map of property
300 Woods Road
Fontana Dam, NC 28733
GPS: 35.4364112 -83.822342
Registration desk is located in "The Lodge" in the top left of the property. If you are sharing with someone else, make sure everyone's name is on the room/cabin as well so they can get in if they arrive at a different time. Nothing is worse than showing up and not having a way to unload your stuff, it's better to contact Fontana ahead of time and get those names on there before you arrive.
- Cabins I know of with TI People (see map above): 422, 424, 425, 427, 429, 433. There are other members in other cabins across the property. Thinking of who I know is going to be there, half or less will be there in an Integra.
- There is a gas station on site as well as general store, ice cream store, laundry, and a few restaurants
- Communication: 2 way GRMS radio channel: #7
- Cell phone service: more than likely not, you're deep in the mountains
- WiFi password in years' past on property SSIDs: "inthewoods". I cannot stress enough: do not show up at Fontana expecting good internet service. Double check password while checking in.
- If you need me (Stephen), I'll be in cabin 422 (closest cabin to the putt putt golf and car wash station for reference), and have a white Focus RS. I usually have a radio on me, if not i'lll definitely be around someone with one.
- You'll also see a fair amount of CRZ's there as well, they are headed up by a former TI member, although he no longer has an Integra or CRZ but rather some other brand of electric car that has a "3" in the model name
Stuff to Do
- This Google Map is years in the making: link to said map
. Shopping, gas, places to eat, yada yada
"Schedule" (i use this term likely, it's more a "very very rough outline"):
- Wednesday: usually not a lot planned per se as it is arrival day/night. I'd *guess* that cabin 424 is where people will be hanging out at as it has a decent size porch.
- Wednesday night: night runs on the Dragon and then hanging out
- Thursday: **on table** Clingman's Dome
and Gatlinburg SkyBridge
- Thursday night: night runs on the Dragon and then hanging out
- Friday morning: meeting at Foothills Parkway Look rock parking lot at 8am (this parking lot
): then drive big loop of Happy Valley and Cherohala Skyway
- Friday afternoon: inner tubing
- Friday night: night runs on the Dragon and then shenanigans
- Saturday: something
- Saturday night: night runs on the Dragon and then hanging out
Sorry about the vaugeness as it's still being discussed (in Facebook event), things under consideration, but I stress again, this is your vacation, do-whatchu-like
- Inner tubing down the Cherokee river, with beverages
- Renting pontoon boat on Fontana lake
- Trip(s) into Bryson City (always a staple!)
- Lunch in Telico Falls
There is SO much to do in the area, things done in past years:
- Day train through the area
- Zip lining at "NOC" (Nantahala Outdoor Center)
- Checking out Franklin, NC
- Pigeon Forge
I could go on and on... this will be my 14th or 15th year in a row, a good handful others have been there just as much with many others having been there at least 10 years. This event is a well-oiled machine without too much planning outside of accommodations, and the current turnout is 25% of what it used to be, making things so much easier.
What you are getting into:
"THERE GOES YOUR DEPOSIT! I'M GLAD IT'S NOT MY CABIN." - Tony4311
"the beers will keep the other beer cold" - Kablookie
"We're off to make some bad decisions" - Flyinghighteg
"So you're telling me I have to be home before Monday tomorrow?" (said on Saturday) - Little Steve
"You are quite white" - Ami
"If someone doesn't like moist you just throw it in and make them take it" - Hax
"I'm gonna take a picture of my left nut" - Ricky (he was drinking a beer)
"GUYS! SHUT UP! WE'RE GETTING A NOISE COMPLAINT!" - Tony #'s