Undetectable oil leak - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Undetectable oil leak

I've only owned this car for a couple months and I put a lot of money into it which normally shouldn't be the case but nonetheless I noticed recently after doing my oil change and everything that it started smelling kind of burnt oil I didn't notice any leaks of any kind but it was out of oil which was concerning since i had just done an oil change.
So, I got under the car and look only because my ABS light came on so I was really concerned about that once I got under the vehicle I realized why that light came on and notice the underside of my vehicle had a serious explosion of oil. What is causing this and is it a serious financial fix? Also, my tail pipe is loaded up with carbon. ..PLEASE HELP ASAP THANK YOU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 01:10 PM

I recommend taking the car to a car wash where you can raise it up and pressure wash the engine from below as well is from the top. Once all the oil build-up is off the engine it will be easier to identify where the leak(s) is/are coming from. There are many areas where the oil could get through the seals and therefore it is difficult to say whether or not the repairs will be extensive. Lets hope not. To make it even easier to identify the leaks, you may want to add an additive (a die) to the oil. Let it run for few minutes and then using a black light search for the traces of the die, starting from above. Best if done when its dark.

Regarding the carbon build-up in the exhaust. This indicates that the car has been running reach. Too much fuel, not enough air. Or the spark is insufficient. Make sure you put the right gas in it moving forward. If it doesn't call for a premium quality fuel, don't use it. Change your air filter. Replace spark plugs, make sure the gaps are per the required specs (look on the sticker under the hood). Replace distributor cap and the rotor. Make sure you don't have a CEL. Especially for 02 sensor. Adjust the timing (loosen-up 3 distributor 12mm bolts and clock it according to the timing light). All these may or may not help depending on how many miles the engine has. If its a high mile engine then the piston rings are likely worn and allow some of the compression to escape from the chambers on the compression stroke. Which could contribute to an uneven fuel/air ratio going into the power stroke. Back to my original statement of too much fuel, not enough air. This unburned fuel would settle on pistons, valves and eventually build-up inside the exhaust. If that is what is happening, I would suspect that the car also burns oil. So you may want to keep an eye on the oil levels. Although this sounds pretty drastic, it is not something you need to worry about if the car runs well. The replacement of the piston rings is an expensive repair. Do note, however, that you are not getting the ultimate mpg if the above statement is true. Good luck.

My Build
404whp
[email protected]
Best 60' - 1.729

Last edited by Built_not_bought; 05-07-2019 at 01:13 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 08:43 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
folks are raving about motor restore over at honda-tech.
gonna give it a go soon.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-.../#post51922640
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Thank you so much for such a detailed response! I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but not that in depth honestly. So, I've actually just replaced all of the plugs n distributor etc. you have mentioned can i get away with doing these adjustments you mention and see if there may be a difference before throwing down another $200 I really don't have? I just replaced radiator rear brakes calipers and rotors and although i did it myself it still wasn't cheap. What I'm saying is I've just dumped a shitload of cash into this girl and can't really afford to put much more. If she needs a new motor i prolly gotta cut my losses and unload her.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page