Unusual Oil Pressure Fluctuation - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unusual Oil Pressure Fluctuation

So for the past 3 weeks I've been noticing my oil pressure has been changing from its usual hot/ cold routine. Normally when I cold start the oil pressure jumps to 25 ish and drops to 10-15 at idle and at 3k rpm it would be anywhere between 55-65. About 3 weeks ago I took the car out one night and after driving for awhile I noticed at 3k rpm on the highway my oil pressure was between 35-45 and when idle it was dropping from 6-12. It was about time for my oil change so I figured that was most likely the issue. I changed the oil the next week and after driving it the oil pressure was even lower. At idle it was dropping to 4-8 and no matter how high I rev it wont go above 25. Alot of people were recommending I use 10w40 instead of 5w30 being that I'm turbo'd and live in FL. I did another oil change the next week and now im back to normal at idle (10-15) but it still wont go above 32ish when revving. I'm not sure if my oil pump had an issue within this little amount of time or if I'm having internal problems. I passed a leakdown test with perfect numbers across the board. Now I'm stuck with 15psi at idle & 32psi max. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 01:28 PM

Bad news my friend, unless its your oil pressure sender that came with the aftermarket oil pressure gauge that maybe failing (not reading the pressure accurately). If it's not the culprit, then it is either the oil pump or the rod/main bearing clearances that are out of specs. Do not drive the car until you figure it or you may cause more internal damage to the turbo bearings and the shaft, crankshaft journals, cam lobes, rods (small ends and eventually large ends once the rod bearing(s) spin(s)), and piston wrist pins.

Be mindful, if you simply replace the oil pump but the problem is with the bearing clearances (rod or main bearing(s) falling apart - thinning), you will end-up damaging the new oil pump. So the very first thing you need to do is to remove the oil pan and inspect inside it. Look for metal shavings (appx. size between 1/32" and 1/16"). There should be a bunch (100s of metal pieces). These would not come out during oil change. You need to remove the oil pan.

No metal particles found? At this point I would confirm whether or not the oil sending unit on the aftermarket gauge is functioning properly. If its not the culprit, then proceed with replacing the oil pump. Do not purchase used pump or a pump without a known brand. I suggest you spend the extra money and get an OEM Honda oil pump. Should be around $175 on Ebay.

If you do find metal particles on the bottom of the oil pan, then its time to take the engine out and rebuild it. Remember to hot tank it prior to re-assembly or your new engine will fail shortly after from previous contamination.

My Build
404whp
[email protected]
Best 60' - 1.729

Last edited by Built_not_bought; 05-07-2019 at 07:46 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I have an oil pressure test kit which read the same as my gauge which confirms all is well on that side. This weekend I'll be dropping the oil pan and checking for shavings and possibly replacing or rebuilding my pump. First crank if the pressure is still low I'll be dropping the motor and tearing it down and rebuilding with forged internals and get the block refreshed. Now a question about oil pumps; Would I be better off buying a new OEM pump, rebuilding and porting my factory pump, or buying a high pressure race pump which is about same price as a new OEM? I see alot of people porting and rebuilding their pumps with great results so I would love to give it a shot if its worth the gain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 07:50 PM

I am a conservative guy when it comes to my time. Hence, if it was me I would not be rebuilding the pump, but replacing it with new one. My current set-up is pushing 400whp on OEM oil pump and so far it's been holding up. Made over a 100 quarter mile passes and the oil pressure has not dropped a bit. So it is really up to you whether or not to go with a high pressure aftermarket pump or an OEM unit. Others may add their perspective on this subject.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I appreciate the input! I'll first make sure the engine is okay before worrying about the pump.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So I dropped the pan and there was no shavings or anything obvious. I replaced my oil relief spring to a high pressure spring and cleaned my pickup tube and put everything back together with no change. I ordered a new OEM pump and replaced it and reassembled everything again with no change. Turns out it was a problem with my oil filter sandwich plate. I removed the plate and placed the filter back down and my pressure immediately went up to 50psi on a cold start. I guess from now on I'll be using the sensor port.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 10:33 AM

Glad you were able to pin-point the problem. In my opinion, unless the oil sandwich adapter/plate was leaking than its not the culprit. Since you didn't report any leaks around the adapter than the culprit is likely not the adapter itself, but the the oil lines that were connected to it. In other words, by opening additional channels for the oil to pass through (increasing the volume of oil and overpowering the pump), it caused the oil pressure to drop. You need to make sure that you're using the right size hoses, not too large. Otherwise you may experience the same issue even after you begin connecting to the oil sensor port via a T. Just thinking out loud here..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page