Integra LS Touge/Time Attack (Minnesota) - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Integra LS Touge/Time Attack (Minnesota)

This weekend I picked up my new project, an Integra LS ('95) auto to build a Touge/Time Attack car for racing at Brainerd International Raceway here in Minnesota. I've also had a thing for the integras since I was in Elementary school and Middle school and kind of reinforced my want for one when the original Fast and the Furious came out and Ja Rule's and Mia's integras (among a few background ones) were racing about. I'm coming from a VW/Jeep/HyundaiKia background working on cars with varying levels of mods on the misc vehicles I've had over the years. The most recent two being my 2012 Veloster NA and my 71 VW Fastback (type 3) restoration project.

Back to the Integra:

It's a 1995 100% stock (radio, wheels, engine, everything down to the Acura Customer car care Cassette tape with Whitney Houston music) Automatic Coupe that is a bit Crusty from spending it's whole life in Illinois and recently brought to minnesota by the PO last year.

2019 plan:
Fix years of neglected maintenance (oil, trans ATF, plugs/wires/cap/rotor, brakes, belts, DEEP CLEAN of upholstery)
Weight in at BIR to see what i'm missing for passing tech inspection and get a starting weight of the car and lap time.

Beyond plan:
If the chassis isn't beyond saving, rust repair, sealing paint and vinyl wrap.
work towards competitively improving my best lap times and build as balanced of a street legal track car as i can muster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 10:27 PM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Welcome. Fellow Minnesotan here also. Looking forward to the build.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Started sorting through neglected maintenance this morning (cap, rotor, wires, plugs) but ran into a few issues. one was the set screw on the rotor was off just a bit so i couldn't get it out without stripping the screw. Having worked on Mini, Kia, Hyundai, VW, Audi and Jeeps it's the first time I've ever seen a set screw on a dizzy rotor before. Left it for now until i have a chance to look up the trick for aligning that with the sweep for the screw driver. I also ran into an issue with the spark plug on cylinder 4 being pretty well seized. I soaked it with PB blaster over a few days and ran the car to warm up the cylinder head with no luck. I was hoping not to snap it off in the head, however during the warm up run I noticed it was smoking a little from around the head gasket...

Ordered a gasket kit, belts, pcv valve and a few other items. I'm thinking about possibly just having the head refurbished at a shop at this point since this thing is really only going to see tracks and Cars and Coffee events.

I'll be doing all brakes after lunch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-16-2019, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Making a quick note here of a few things i'll be looking into doing after getting a finalized copy of the SCCA 2019 rules.
- Qaife Quick Ratio manual rack
- year 1 suspension setup (stock, stock with lowering, stock with ground control, coilovers, etc.)
- rust repair needed for structure reasons
- manual swap parts list.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 04:14 AM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
How much seat time have you have on a course?
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
seat time in Montana(about 6 years ago) I have about 15 days in, Minnesota i have 0 days of seat time.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Still working on finalizing what SCCA Solo Class I'll be building to but I think i have it narrowed down to the F Street Prepared (FSP) class to allow for a large variety of "standard" tuner mods that I typically do to all cars I've owned. I've also been doing some reading on what i want to do about engine blueprinting for down the line. For now I have been considering picking up an OBDII valve cover to swap over (for looks and easy of cleaning) as well as sourcing some replacement quarter panels from JDM Ohio Direct when they are back in stock (typically DC2 Type-R).

I think later this week i should have my SCCA class finalized and I can go to town on removing the failed A/C pump and start cleaning the sludgy engine bay off before teardown for full gasket replacement.

Last edited by Absolute_Yeti; 02-19-2019 at 02:08 PM.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Integra 2019 build plans:
- Racing in FSP class to allow for lax modification rules
- Replacing all gaskets and degreasing the entire engine bay for paint
- gutting A/C system, oe mudflaps(no logo) and Cruise control (for sale)
- rust repair.

Manual swap will likely be next winter just due to a shortage of space in my garage from my other projects and endless snow...

Integra butts up to the red Rabbit shell lol
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 12:04 PM

Glad to see a fellow club racer on here!
Couple things I would recommend would be trying out manual steering before going with a quicker ratio as the quicker ratio will require a lot more force to turn and the Teg rack is actually quicker than a manual EG civic rack. I had a problem where my steering wheel strained my shoulder after getting a little goosey in a slalom last year so just be aware of this as the steering wheel can overrule your hands at any time.
From what I've seen, a good set of tires, a bigger rear sway bar, a stiff set of Koni/GC coils with rear bias, and a good alignment can really make these cars competitive.
Good luck with the race season and future mods!
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I've actually had quaife quick ratio manual racks in a few (daily driver) cars now and enjoy them for everything except parallel parking. However I learned to drive in a 1946 Willy's CJ-2a so everything has easier in comparison :P Quaife will wait until after the manual swap, suspension and rust repair though. Hoping to log a season or two before going crazy with modifications.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Reached out to JDMOhioDirect thanks to Dante and sourced some patch panels A pillar pieces to address the rusting windshield frame. Based on the pictures they sent I think I have a game plan for welding in the pieces without compromising the strength of the A-Pillar before getting a cage installed. Will likely be sourcing quarter panels from them next.
danteisme likes this.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
We're finally able to see over the snowbanks here in Minnesota so later today i'll be heading to UpullRParts and start piecing together a manual swap and finding a few odds and ends for the car
-transmission
-shifter assembly
-pedal cluster
-ecu
-gauge cluster
-headlights
-driver door handle
-front bumper
-driver door panel
-transmission mount(s)
-fenders
- spoiler (maybe)
- anything else neat i find.

also deciding if i'll try picking up a EJ33 or EJ22 for my 71 vw fastback. Depends how much of the integra stuff i find today and if i have space in the back of my veloster LOL.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
so i just learned this was a thing today. The headlights i bought from UPullRParts a week or so ago turned out to be late model headlights with the larger lens. Based on the thread posts I've seen i can just swap out the bumper cover and turn signals and carry on. I'm happy i hadn't bought a replacement bumper cover yet now

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Annnddd we're back. Found a used bumper cover locally with at least one of the turn signal housings. I also received my rockauto order to replace as many of the engine gaskets and suspension bushings as i can throughout the car this Saturday. By the end of the weekend i should be ready to take it for a test drive and get the A/C system discharged.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	56190042_10216712220852398_8861953377869758464_o.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	253.8 KB
ID:	80440   Click image for larger version

Name:	55742639_10216712220652393_7713233158732251136_o.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	80442  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page