cruise control question - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
cruise control question

Hi I have a few questions and hope that somebody can give me a hand, help fill me in a bit.

I have a 1999 integra se. It does not have cruise control and I want to install it. I am not real savvy working on cars. I've replaced my starter, swapped out a few alternators, changed plugs, stuff like that. But never attempted to install cruise control. Has anyone here installed cruise on an integra that wasn't previously there, preferably a 94-2000?

I'm wondering if the cruise module, box and cable etc is already installed and maybe all I have to do is pick up the steering wheel controls from an auto wrecker? I've read that sometimes this is the case? What should I be looking for under the dash and under the hood, to see if that stuff is already installed?

From a professionals point of view, does the job of installing a cruise kit on my own sound like a bad idea? Is this something that is more complicated than say like a....alternator swap out?

What are my options? I've looked online and found a few sites that sold a cruise kit for my car, both around 200$ which may have been US $ and I'm Canadian. Can anyone suggest a few sites with quality products and good prices?

200$ sounds alright with me if thats Canadian dollars and especially if the job is easy enough for me to do on my own.

Can anyone help me out, have any ideas, pointers, or information that can help me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 03:16 PM
Site Founder/Administrator

Articles: 75
Garage
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Remando View Post
I'm wondering if the cruise module, box and cable etc is already installed
So.... why not look?

If there are cruise control buttons on the steering wheel, then your car should already have it installed

The module for it is box that is in the driver side kick panel, it's mounted vertically and is a module about 4 inches square.

Most common culprit of it not working: there is broken or missing plastic pad that activates a plunger on the clutch pedal, the one that is 1/2 way up the pedal

The pad looks like this

and it's located at the lower of the two arrows in this diagram

- Running Log, the trials and tribulations of building a car

echlonwarrior: "Hondabond saves lives"
K2sInteg98: "the best thing to do is keep spending and not keep count....lol"
dpaton: "The road to hell is paved with good intentions"
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningZ View Post
So.... why not look?

If there are cruise control buttons on the steering wheel, then your car should already have it installed

The module for it is box that is in the driver side kick panel, it's mounted vertically and is a module about 4 inches square.

Most common culprit of it not working: there is broken or missing plastic pad that activates a plunger on the clutch pedal, the one that is 1/2 way up the pedal

The pad looks like this

and it's located at the lower of the two arrows in this diagram

Thanks for you reply and your info. It doesn't actually have the cuise control buttons, what I mean is that on the side of the steering wheel there is a cover that sticks out quite far, so I was hoping that there may be a pin connector in there to plug in a cruise control button panel.

I had a good look under the dash on the kick panel and there isn't a cruise module. There is supposed to be (according to my book) a controller box of some sort located on the fender, in the front of the car under the hood, but it's not there. However there is a plunger on my brake pedal. I'm guessing that it is connected to the transmission gear box, to allow me to put my car into drive, when I press the brake. My car is an automatic.

So all signs says that my car isn't even partially set up for cruise. I did notice that the gas pedal has a cable running from it and through the firewall, but I'm guessing that goes straight to the throttle, for acceleration.

So at this point I have three options: 1. find and install a universal cruise kit (any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!) 2. I go to a wrecker, get lucky and find an integra with cruise installed, take the plunger, the module, the other unit at the front of the car, the buttons + wiring harness and take the cable that attaches to which ever unit, I assume the module. And then hope that I don't need to reprogram the ecu or swap out the ecu. Options 3. start looking for a new vehicle and sell mine. I kind of don't want to sell it, the tires are great, it only has a few small rust spots, it has a new windshield, the engine has been rebuilt recently and I like the zippiness of my car.

If anyone has any ideas please throw them at me, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 09:18 PM
Site Founder/Administrator

Articles: 75
Garage
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
"However there is a plunger on my brake pedal". that is to activate the brake lights

"I did notice that the gas pedal has a cable running from it and through the firewall, but I'm guessing that goes straight to the throttle, for acceleration. ". Yes, no fly-by-wire in the Integra, it's a cable

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page