"InTechra" Jdm B18C Turbo GS-R - Page 2 - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra
 78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #15 of 142 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What exactly do you mean? Are you saying I should disconnect the control arm where it's connected towards the engine bay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16 of 142 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 12:21 AM

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Go to Harbor Freight and get one of these. Youll be amazed at how little time it takes using this.
3/4" Forged Ball Joint Separator
JDMJNKY likes this.
post #17 of 142 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Awesome thanks Mix! I'll order one if this crobar and 5lb mall end up not working. What my dad taught me - anything free is worth saving up for! xD that tool looks a lot easier to use than what I rented... It's basically a GIANT C clamp with a 22mm bolt end to crank on it. As you guys know the axle goes into the hub right above the LCA and ball joint, so that design of a ball joint press won't work.

Last edited by 9TechNine9; 07-27-2015 at 11:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18 of 142 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

So.... After over a week working just on changing the axle, it's finally done. This was an axle swap from hell.. Dad had to come in and save the day. First the ball joint was stuck, which held me up during the week until my dad could come help the following weekend. Then the axle was stuck, which with me and my dad took us about an hour to get out. Then..... I cross threaded my ball joint AND it was spinning. Anyways it's all good to go for my tune today!! I'm so effin excited! Here's the old and new axle comparison.

I will try to get good videos of the tuning process. I'm going to take it for its first bath right beforehand too that I will get some pictures of. Instead of telling you my plans for this teg I would rather just show you. Stay tuned for the progress

drmix likes this.
post #19 of 142 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Well.... I'm kind of embarrassed but definitely super bummed.. My tune was cancelled because of a leak onto my down pipe. What's a satisfying build without some disappointment though right? Well on a positive note I think I've taken a step in the right direction. I put on my wheels/tires and gave her a wash. They are Honda HX rims with Sumitomo HTR A/S P01 185/65r14's. What do you guys think?

The tune will commence when I fix the leak.
post #20 of 142 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 04:12 PM

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Did you have to grind down the caliper to fit the HX's?
post #21 of 142 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmix View Post
Did you have to grind down the caliper to fit the HX's?
Nope! I have like 1/4" spacers for the front. This wheel setup is from my silver teg
post #22 of 142 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Well I've found the source of the leak I think and it's what I was hoping wouldn't happen.. My oil pan is too warped and the gasket is leaking a small amount. So... I need to locate a new gs-r tapped oil pan.
post #23 of 142 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Since my last update I've installed a new Moroso 4qt oem spec baffled tapped oil pan. I reused my recently installed myhondahabit gasket since it was still in like new condition. So far, no more leaks. I also sprayed brake cleaner and wiped down my block. It's close to spotless right now I've also decided to ditch my gasket connecting my waste gate and down pipe.

Here is my previous pan vs. my new Moroso pan.

Here it is installed

Overall I think it was a good investment to go with the Moroso than take an oem and tap it. I know there have been mixed reviews on it but it's worked out great for me so far. It clears my downpipe (barely, it is touching my downpipe, pic was taken before downpipe was connected) all the transmission brackets still fit and it does not leak (so far). I did have to buy an adapter for my setup, I needed a 1/2npt to -10an. I would recommend this product to anyone going forced induction. I've emailed my tuner to setup a new tune date I'll keep you guys in the loop! Hoping for sometime this week before I leave to Colorado for awhile! I haven't mentioned this yet but I'm hoping to bring it to Colorado and get some shots of it in the mountains and get to cruise it around the Rockies!
drmix and JDMJNKY like this.
post #24 of 142 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 03:46 PM

Nice car, man. I'm eager to see how much boost your tuner runs and what kind of power it makes. does it have any internal work? aftermarket cams?
post #25 of 142 (permalink) Old 10-08-2015, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Update!
Its been awhile friends! A lot has happened since my last update. I FINALLY got the teg tuned. Thank you so much Shane at DB Perfomance! After being completely blown off by 2 different tuners it feels great to be able to drive this beast! If you are in the midwest area i would highly recommend Shane at DB Performance to tune your ride he was insanely knowledgeable and he also showed me how to tweak my tune if i need to.

Into the meat and bones of this steak..

Before getting started they put a timing light on it and corrected it and fixed my afr. It runs beautifully now . I found out my wideband sensor is off by a little bit, only like.5 though.

Here's a short video of the shots i did get.
https://youtu.be/K5Ccp5HCK-4

She made 245 on 8lbs and 275/194 on 10lbs. Sorry I didn't get the full pulls on video! Next time, right? In the process I have found a few things I need to work on-
-New downpipe
-New dumppipe
-Small leak from valve cover gasket
-Need to reconfigure my oil return setup
-Maybe a new manifold to help change my oil return?

My downpipe has a pretty bad leak where it connects to the turbo. Going to try to put my gasket back in with some high temp hondabond to help seal it up. I might need a different downpipe in general to avoid having my oil return line resting on it..

My dumppipe spits right onto one of my intercooler piping... yeah.

Only a small leak coming out of one of the corners it looks like they missed that one part from high temp rtv. It only leaks small amounts under heavy use.

My oil return line is the biggest concern. Its gravity fed, not pressurized. It is supposed to run straight to the tap in my oil pan like a "J". It runs all the way from the intake side of the turbo, lays on top of my intercooler piping and is too close for comfort to my downpipe. Its also bent akwardly where its connected to my tap adapter. When Shane was doing full pulls it was smoking a lotttt from the exhaust. I have a huge hunch its because my oil return line isn't draining oil from the turbo fast enough. Which is causing the white smoke..

I started to part out my old teg! I've got a lot of parts to put on the black teg soon. I will make sure to take pictures! Been getting a lot of messages just from posting it in a group on facebook. This weekend i think i will be swapping the interiors of my 2 tegs! I have been considering trading the silver teg straight up for a winter beater, a 90's toyota of some sort. The new teg hasnt seen 1 winter, not sure if i can break that cycle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hickskateboard View Post
Nice car, man. I'm eager to see how much boost your tuner runs and what kind of power it makes. does it have any internal work? aftermarket cams?
Thank you! Internals haven't been touched . Im very happy with the tune! the last tune it had it made 270hp/180lbs torque.
JDMJNKY likes this.
post #26 of 142 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Since my last update I've made a lot of progress although I don't have a crazy amount to show for. I've been crazy busy working 2 jobs and going to school full time. I always find time to work on my teg though <3.
I've started pulling the interior out of my old silver teg. So far I have door panels, dash, mid console and steering column out. I will wait to upload pics of interior swap so I can do a before and after post. I managed to pull my AMAZING battery out of the old car, clean it up and put it in the black teg. Here's some pics..

I had to work some magic with the wiring since the posts to the batteries accept different kinds of terminals.

Here is a current pic of the engine bay.

Currently I need to pull the sunroof glass off the old car and swap it with the one on the black teg. After I finish swapping parts I will be trading the silver teg for a winter beater! A 90's Toyota Camry w/ 200k that's in perfect condition no rust no maintenance needed. Pretty good deal if you ask me . The guy I'm trading with knows an insane amount about Hondas. He huge in the Honda scene here in Minnesota and has a few built Hondas. He is going to be helping me out a lot with my build!

So the reason I bring this up is because I'm having issues with the teg right now... I have major concerns that need to be addressed immediately.. First and foremost my oil return line is splitting by the coupler. I'm thinking of switching to a braided line although I've been reading rubber could be the way to go just because my line runs right over my intercooler piping and down pipe where it can rub and damage them.. Not sure I have to worry too much about this but it's something to think about.

My alignment is wacky on the front. My dad pointed it out to me last weekend that my tread on the outside of my tires are wearing badly on the front. I have too much toe in for some reason. It looks like it's probably ruined 2 of my tires. Maybe looking at a new set in the summer.

I'm havin issues with the car driving. When cruising in gear for the most part it dives ok, although sometimes it will studder/be restricted when cruising. Sometimes my wideband will drop to 10 randomly. When coming to a stop and taking it out of gear it will rev bounce at 250-500rpms and sometimes stall.. To prevent this I have to engine brake all the way down to about 1500rpms... Today when trying to cold start it would turn over but immediately die... Not sure if this is due to cold weather? I had to turn the key and give it gas until it leveled off and wouldn't die. I'm thinking my issue is related to my wideband sensor or dizzy... If you have suggestions please feel free to voice them!

Recent maintenance/has been checked
Previous owner said dizzy, spark plugs and wires are new, which confuses me how it could be my dizzy
Vacuum lines have been checked. Seem like they are not leaking
No IACV, not the culprit
Recently tuned, idle was set to 900 and timing is perfect

Anyways, today's my 22nd birthday!! cheers mates! If the rain stops I hope I can spend some time swapping the interior on the tegs!
JDMJNKY, Jeffaome and stockgs-r like this.
post #27 of 142 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Huge update!
I've fixed the issue with the car studdering and wideband dropping! My wastegate was being closed on by my hood.. I had to take a hammer to the underside of the hood to get it out of the way. My motor has a lot of movement when hitting boost. New motor mounts is on my list of things to get.

I finally traded the silver teg for the 96 Camry. I was having problems with it slightly overheating and found out it was the thermostat. So far I've only put $100 into the Camry - Registration, Tabs, Thermostat, Brake Light Bulb.

So you know what this means..... room for the black teg (now going to be referred as the Teg) in the garage! The Teg is winterized and stored away in the garage, where ill be slowly working on it this winter. I might even keep it stored over summer and into the next winter.

As I've been working on this car and making plans for it, I've realized it needs a lot of work (and $$$) for it for it to be where I want it to be. I need new motor mounts, full suspension, oil return line, downpipe, dump pipe, tires and an alignment. I decided to ditch getting a new manifold after doing research, at least getting a different type of manifold. I like the fast spool and response of the log manifold, plus the ability to keep my power steering and full radiator. I want my build to be based around my cooling system.

With all of this comes in the factor of money. In the future, I WILL own a 1997 R33 Skyline GTR V-Spec. It is my dream car and I've come to the terms that the Teg is just my stepping stone to the Skyline. My plans are to fix it up to how i want it, without going all in (such as things like a paint job, JDM ITR front, Recaro seats, etc.). I want to keep it for the next few years and use it as a sort of tool to help me learn more about building cars, becuase my plan for the Skyline is to fully build it... the whole works.. no expenses spared. When I do sell it.... </3 .... I'll make sure it goes to the right person, someone who is gonna care about it like I do and will treat it with immense care. Its hard to find tegs out there with ZERO rust and never seen a winter!! At least in my area! I really want the option to be able to buy it back from them if it boils down to that.. but I know that most likely all my doe will be dumper into the Skyline..

Holy interior swap Batman!
Before and Afters-

Comparison of door panels

Swapped arm rests for the leather

Dashes swapped. I've pulled a dash like 4 times in the past 1-2 months.. lol. I've gotten pro!
Here is the original dash and also entire interior.

Thanks to MeltMans article on swapping SRS harnesses I was able to swap my OBD2 clip for my OBD1 clip

The shift boot track had slipped out and was hanging. Not sure if I have an After picture..

The ignition was cracked in my original steering column, which is why you see no column cover because the ignition didn't fit. The previous owner had said it had never been tried to be stolen, but I don't see why the ignition would be cracked like this otherwise...

Ignition swap

Miscellaneous pictures of the swap
After fully swapping and installing the dashes, my turn signals wouldnt work.. There was one plug that went to nothing. For anyone swapping a dash make sure you swap the harnesses with the dash!!
My husky Marley, helping me swap out the harness on the dash

And him riding in the car with me after the swap

Huge wiring mess with my alarm..

Initial dash and steering column removal

Here is a picture of the silver teg after having everything pulled from it. It was sold pretty much like this

The Teg currently has the dash pulled for the harness swap. Ill make sure to get final pictures! I wanted to wait until I was fully done but I have been collecting way too many pictures and happenings!
Thanks for reading!
VoodooR likes this.

Last edited by 9TechNine9; 12-08-2015 at 05:22 PM.
post #28 of 142 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 05:57 PM

Loving the sleeper look.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page