danteisme's 1996 DB8-Found and Rebuild Thread - Page 43 - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra
 225Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #589 of 715 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 14 reviews
So, I think I lucked out. *I did my investigating and within maybe 15 seconds or so of grinding at the rust, i found clean metal. *I did find two very small perforations but they can be easily tacked shut. *

However, right above the clean metal I found more traces of rust going up under the windshield.

So, the situation escalated quickly from there...

So, after fighting with the windshield for freakin 5 hours, its out. *That 22 year old glue and sealant did not want to let go. *And, I probably should have asked someone to come over and help me take it off. *I made that harder than it needed to be doing it myself. *I found 2 more small sections of rust. *Again, i spent some time with a wire wheel and got down to clean metal again. *So, I think I lucked out. *I'll finish cleaning it up and spray some rust inhibiting paint on there before I prime and paint. *THEN, i'll finally get the glass company to come out and do there work.

So, I'm frustrated that I found this but at the same time I'm glad I found it. *I'm frustrated because its going to add a good bit of time onto my schedule for getting the car back on the road, but I'm glad because I caught it while it is fixable and I'll have some piece of mind knowing that I took care of it correctly. *
Built_not_bought likes this.

1996 DB8 Bought 2003--->Sold 2010--->Bought Back May 2014 Restoration in Process!!
Bloggity Blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #590 of 715 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

All down to good metal and first step applied! Rust converting / inhibiting primer. Next step will be scuff that up slightly and applying chassis saver.

post #591 of 715 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

So i was going to start the coats of chassis saver tonight, but then i realized i'm forgetting a step. *There was a whole bunch of seam sealer on here before i started. *I can't remember how far it extended, is it just where these couple of panels meet?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #592 of 715 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Finally got around to coating the area, just need to add some green paint and get the window guys out here.

I tried using the stronger goof off stuff to remove the glue adhesive off my door panels, it removed some but it made them super sticky. what else could i use to safely remove this from the door panels?

post #593 of 715 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 08:19 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Try 90% rubbing alcohol.

My Build
404whp
[email protected]
Best 60' - 1.729
post #594 of 715 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Alright, i have a few updates. *i went to the local upull yard and snagged an undamaged climate control system for the car since i broke mine. *30% for the day, so i believe i paid $18 for it? *I also grabbed just about every fender liner clip and side skirt clip i could find.

Then that night i finished up the paint work for around the front windshield.

Then Sunday all hell broke loose. *I have never, EVER been so sick in my life. *I am still not 100%, hell i'm not even 50%. *I got the flu so freakin bad it sent me to the ER Monday night, which I am very glad my wife forced me into that. *Despite being sick, Wednesday morning the glass company came out and installed that rear glass i pulled from the yard a while back, and installed a new front glass with new window trim. *i still need to install the side trim pieces, but it will be nice having clear glass finally.*

Now i can start really putting this car back together. *Maybe not this weekend though, i still feel like i need to sleep for about a year...
9TechNine9 likes this.
post #595 of 715 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

I have officially surrendered to the door panel inserts. I'm tired of fighting with them, i'm going to see if I can get someone to make me some new inserts. I worked with these in the sun yesterday for a few hours. It got up near 70 so it should have been plenty warm enough. 2 of them still wouldnt stretch enough to fit, one was waaaay off (last image). Ignore the tan splotches.

[/url]

post #596 of 715 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

So, i have abandoned my plans for the black and tan interior. It looked great in my head, but as i layed out all of the pieces, i did not like it. at all. I also completed my climate control and switch conversion to LED. I did forget about my fog light switch though. I'm not sure where the other light is that powers it though. There has to be 2 different lights associated with the switch.

The green bulb is the one that powers the light under the fog lights symbol when the light is activated. I cant find the bulb for the "running light" of the fog light switch. The one that lights up the symbol. I'm assuming i have to take apart the switch?

Current state of the car

And the reason I have been slacking so much on the car. I have been spending basically every free second I get hanging out with this little guy. He is so great, hands down the best thing i've ever done lol. Cant believe he will be 6 months old in just a couple of weeks.
JDMJNKY likes this.
post #597 of 715 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

I havent updated this thread in a while. I'm getting very close to finishing for this year. I do have a question though, because this seems to happen every winter.

How do i stop this from happening? This is just from sitting in the garage since December, the fronts are so bad they might need to be machined down to be usable.

post #598 of 715 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 09:52 PM
Super BunchaNumbers

Articles: 1
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I'm not sure you can really. I'd think anything you'd put on them to prevent it would be bad for braking once you drive.

Do me a favor.From now on don't care what other people think about your car. Do what YOU want to your car. Who gives a damn what other people think about it.
post #599 of 715 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony4311 View Post
I'm not sure you can really. I'd think anything you'd put on them to prevent it would be bad for braking once you drive.
thats exactly what i was thinking, i was hoping i was incorrect lol. the rears should come off fine with some braking, the front ones are a little more crusty. you can actually feel the "texture" of the rust on the rotor.
post #600 of 715 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 03:12 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JDMJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to JDMJNKY
UGH I hate door card fabric as well. Would you like me to keep an eye out for some minty ones here in CA?

If I may, WD40 will work just fine. It dissipates pretty easily. Let's just say when I was a "technician," This was the dealers quick fix for new brake squeal. Yes I know, a rather unscrupulous technique but hey it worked at times LOL. A few hot braking sessions for a few blocks and presto. No squeaks, and no loss of braking.

P.S. Congrats on the baby.
danteisme likes this.

1213 AFFILIATION - JDMKIDS | CALI LOVE | AS1 FAMILIA
1213 AFFINITY - Integra Log | NITE GRIND TRANSMISSIONS | GRIPSET | NASTIE GARAGE | CALI LOVE CLOTH. |
post #601 of 715 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Articles: 1
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Uh.....no. Don't put WD40 on brakes. Aside from being flammable, it's not a nice thing for the bedding compounds on pads.

Brake discs are cast iron. The only way to keep them from rusting is to drive, or pull them off and pack them in oil or cosmoline.
danteisme likes this.

95 EJ1 Milano RIP/died/sold -> 98 DB7 CSM RIP/totalled -> 97 DB7 CSM Awful. Sold it back. -> 01 DB8 YR525M RIP/totalled -> 06 Civic LX daily -> 1991 CRX HF (YT)

Integra friends are the best friends.
post #602 of 715 (permalink) Old 06-14-2018, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMJNKY View Post
UGH I hate door card fabric as well. Would you like me to keep an eye out for some minty ones here in CA?

If I may, WD40 will work just fine. It dissipates pretty easily. Let's just say when I was a "technician," This was the dealers quick fix for new brake squeal. Yes I know, a rather unscrupulous technique but hey it worked at times LOL. A few hot braking sessions for a few blocks and presto. No squeaks, and no loss of braking.

P.S. Congrats on the baby.
i actually just picked up some new to me door panels, so i have 2 sets now. one with factory tan leather, the other with my botched black leather lol

and thanks! its definitely my favorite thing!
JDMJNKY likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page