So, I think I lucked out. *I did my investigating and within maybe 15 seconds or so of grinding at the rust, i found clean metal. *I did find two very small perforations but they can be easily tacked shut. *
However, right above the clean metal I found more traces of rust going up under the windshield.
So, the situation escalated quickly from there...
So, after fighting with the windshield for freakin 5 hours, its out. *That 22 year old glue and sealant did not want to let go. *And, I probably should have asked someone to come over and help me take it off. *I made that harder than it needed to be doing it myself. *I found 2 more small sections of rust. *Again, i spent some time with a wire wheel and got down to clean metal again. *So, I think I lucked out. *I'll finish cleaning it up and spray some rust inhibiting paint on there before I prime and paint. *THEN, i'll finally get the glass company to come out and do there work.
So, I'm frustrated that I found this but at the same time I'm glad I found it. *I'm frustrated because its going to add a good bit of time onto my schedule for getting the car back on the road, but I'm glad because I caught it while it is fixable and I'll have some piece of mind knowing that I took care of it correctly. *