danteisme's 1996 DB8-Found and Rebuild Thread - Page 42 - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra
 225Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #575 of 715 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 01:40 AM
Super BunchaNumbers

Articles: 1
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
nice, don't see third light holes so GSR window?

Do me a favor.From now on don't care what other people think about your car. Do what YOU want to your car. Who gives a damn what other people think about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #576 of 715 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony4311 View Post
nice, don't see third light holes so GSR window?
No it was an LS i believe, which holes are you referring to?

And i have some small updates from the weekend's work.

Passenger rear door is done minus the vapor barrier and the door panel. New to me door glass is in, the new motor moves that thing so fast lol. Glass all aligned correctly and didnt hear any issues. Also replaced the window trim piece with one that was much better looking than the one that was on there.

I also changed out the door's weather stripping with again the new to me weather stripping. Mine had a couple of tears at the bottom of the door and the replacements were solid.

I also cleaned out the door checks on both doors, the doors now open smoothly and easily. Before, it felt like i was dragging the doors across something.

While i was working on the driver's side, i noticed something about the felt pads on the window rides on. I initially thought the felt was worn away on a few of these, turns out it was just that dirty and matted down.

Before (not the best example, others were way worse but i had already cleaned them by the time i decided to take a picture)

After about 2 minutes with a nylon brush

All of the extras all cleaned up too

Unless i missed it in the manual, they dont really list a good method on removing the window motor from the regulator. And it is spring loaded as i found out with the first one, not sure why i didnt think of that but it scared the crap out of me when shit when flying. So here is the method i used to keep everything aligned while changing out the motor.

Motor and regulator back in the door.

I didnt put the new glass back in yet, i found a couple of rust spots where the door trim sat that i wanted to treat before i put the glass back in. Hard to see, but i sanded the rust down and put 2 coats of chassis saver in the spots.

Once the new glass is installed, i'll do the front 2. Hopefully that goes just as smooth as the rears, then after i'm done with the doors i'll move back up to the front of the car and work on swapping out that core support. Stay tuned!

1996 DB8 Bought 2003--->Sold 2010--->Bought Back May 2014 Restoration in Process!!
Bloggity Blog
post #577 of 715 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 11:42 PM
Super BunchaNumbers

third brake holes unless I couldn't see them. GSR had the third light on the spoiler so nothing mounted in the window so no holes. Others had the light in the window that needed holes. Thought that was the case at least.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #578 of 715 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

oh oh oh, i think that is only the coupes. My GSR's stock rear window is the same, no mounts the third brake light. Probably because with the sedan it is mounted on that rear speaker shelf and the coupe doesnt have the rear shelf to do that.
post #579 of 715 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 01:01 AM
Super BunchaNumbers

oh yeah, forgot 4 door
post #580 of 715 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Last night i decided to separate my extra set of headlights so i can practice my cutting etc.. for my S2000 retrofit project. *

The first one was good.

The other side is junk, looks like its been leaking for a while and just ruined the high beam shield and the mounting bracket itself. *

​so i have one i can practice with for now, i think i have one other extra headlight assembly, but i cant remember what side of the car its for.*
post #581 of 715 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Got some more work done this weekend. All of the window motors and door glass have been swapped out. I did have to mess with the driver's side front a bit to get it to line up correctly, but it wasnt anything terrible.

Then i focused my attention to my donor core support and started drilling some of the spot welds to get it to where i needed it. I basically am replacing this with the "t-bar" method like with the jdm front swap. I didnt want to mess with the lower portion for two reasons. There was nothing wrong with it, and i didnt want to make it weaker some how by drilling out all of the spot welds and then re-welding (possibly worse than factory) and hoping it was just as strong.

Then moved on over to the car and started drilling the spot welds. Of course, after i marked the position of everything with some white paint.

Fast forward about 40 minutes, here it is off the car.

Have a little rust to take care, of course.

On the downside, during my drilling and scraping etc..., i basically removed the white paint i had for the markings. Some of it is still there, but i can see this taking a few tries. I'll get it fitted to what seems right and throw some nuts and bolts through the holes to hold it in place and make my adjustments from there. Then i'll go ahead and clean up the donor support and start tacking that back in place.

Also ordered some new trim pieces from Acura so I can have the front and rear windshields replaced in the next couple of weeks, and also ordered a my honda habit oil pan gasket. I already have the stud kit and i thought that using those in combination with the OEM gasket would be sufficient. It wasnt lol. Hopefully i'll have some free time after work this week to at least get the core support bolted up and mess with the fitment a bit and move on to welding it up this weekend. Hopefully my flux core welder doesnt blow through the metal.

I also stopped at an upholstery shop to get a price on re-doing the factory leathers i have for this car. They are in pretty bad shape, I got a price on re-doing them in a tan color close to the factory color with black inserts. The price was pretty high, so this will definitely be a next year thing if i decide to pull the trigger on getting those done.

Last edited by danteisme; 02-26-2018 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Fixed my links
post #582 of 715 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 09:37 AM
Site Founder/Administrator

Articles: 75
Garage
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Wow, at this point you are on the path to replace just about everything!
danteisme likes this.

- Running Log, the trials and tribulations of building a car

echlonwarrior: "Hondabond saves lives"
K2sInteg98: "the best thing to do is keep spending and not keep count....lol"
dpaton: "The road to hell is paved with good intentions"
post #583 of 715 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningZ View Post
Wow, at this point you are on the path to replace just about everything!
Just the bad/worn out stuff, which is turning out to be everything lol
post #584 of 715 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

More stuff and things

I was able to test fit the replacement core support a bit last night. I THINK i have it lined up where it is supposed to be. Then i grabbed my extra bumper that needs painted (so i dont care if i end up scuffing something) and i mounted that to check for fitment. If you ignore where the sides aren't connected, it looks like it lines up really well. I did not have the bumper supports connected to the fenders for this test fit.

dpaton likes this.
post #585 of 715 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 09:26 PM
Super BunchaNumbers

nicely done
post #586 of 715 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

i didnt get a chance to work in the garage at all this weekend, and i want to take my time and do some more measuring and fitting before i start welding. i'm second guessing myself some lol.

I did attempt to work on my door panels this weekend, and now i'm mad i did. i decided to go back to the leather inserts since my cloth ones fell off from the glue falling apart over the summer last year. well, my leather inserts have shrunk over the last 22 years some apparently. They dont quite cover all of the areas they should. So now i have a few odd gaps, they look good from far but are far from good.

9TechNine9 likes this.
post #587 of 715 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Well, I think we are back to the game i used to play with this car. Make a bunch of progress, then take 3 steps backwards.

The steps backwards started with the fubar i made with the door panel inserts. So, this weekend i got car prepped for welding the new core support on the car. I measured and re-measured and checked the fitment of the headlights and bumper etc... probably 5 times. Once i was satisfied with the position of everything, i used c-clamps to hold everything in place. i only have a 90 amp flux core welder, so i was skeptical that it would weld and not immediately burn through the metal. I used it in the minimum setting and besides the "boogery" welds you get with flux core, it worked.

I'll need to go back through and grind down the crap and get some primer on there until i;m ready / it is warm enough for me to really finish up the core support with paint etc..

So with that being a success, i thought maybe i would try to disassemble the climate controls so i can replace all of the burned out bulbs. here is where the failures start. I broke both the hazard switch and the defroster switch trying to remove them (i do not like how these are mounted in the car at all)

So after that, i tried to remove the unit from the car, i followed a DIY but nothing i was doing was working. then i heard a crack and it came free. I broke something with the vents, not sure what yet. so, feeling defeated and having most of the unit out of the car, i decided to call it quits and do some more research before i break anything else.

The last thing i did on the car this weekend was back up in the front of the car. I decided i would start removing the trim pieces etc... to get the car ready for the new windshields. Should be nice and easy. so I removed the side trim pieces off the glass and then i removed the wiper cowl and i noticed something down by the passenger side corner....and i did not like what i saw at all...

I did some more clearing and am finding this

My heart just sank, i havent found any holes or perforations but it does not look good. *Next weekend i'll remove the hood for better access and pick away at what looks like seam sealer and see how bad it is. *After i saw that, i admitted defeat and called it quits. *i really, really hope there is nothing that needs to be fully *cut out and welded around that windshield. *I don't think i have the tools to complete that. *The only good thing from this weekend's work on the car was my hood opens and closes perfectly, and the headlights and the bumper all line up as they should...i'll guess i'll take that win.
post #588 of 715 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 05:50 PM
Super BunchaNumbers

crap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page