danteisme's 1996 DB8-Found and Rebuild Thread - Page 31 - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra
 225Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #421 of 715 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 14 reviews
well, this restoration is getting put on hold. i've put so much time into this car over the last few weeks and i think one thing was accomplished successfully. i dont think this car wants to be finished. still quite a bit to do on my list. with good weather here i cant dedicate as much time to the car with the house projects that need to happen this year. that and i need to fix my truck so i can put that up for sale. i cant really split my time any further, i'm still needed at work lol. so, the car is on the back burner again. to be honest, with all of the stupid stuff and fails lately, i need a break. its making me lose interest in finishing the car. so i'll pick this project up again at some point, just not sure when.

1996 DB8 Bought 2003--->Sold 2010--->Bought Back May 2014 Restoration in Process!!
Bloggity Blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 715 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 10:07 PM
Site Founder/Administrator

Articles: 75
Garage
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
if i was closer i would jump in head first into this with ya !

danteisme likes this.

- Running Log, the trials and tribulations of building a car

echlonwarrior: "Hondabond saves lives"
K2sInteg98: "the best thing to do is keep spending and not keep count....lol"
dpaton: "The road to hell is paved with good intentions"
post #423 of 715 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Z! Hopefully after a week or two break (hopefully not much longer than that) to get some other stuff done around the house and just a break in general from the car, i'll be able to get my head right back into it and get it down.
dpaton likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #424 of 715 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Got my new game plan figured out so i dont burn myself out anymore. Im goin to set aside an hour a day to do something on the car. Except weekends, if i have more time on the weekends i will dedicate more but the goal is not to burn myself out. I feel like i'll get more work done this way. And i'm completely done with welding these patch panels. Despite some of the stories ive read dealing with gluing patch panels, im body adhesiving the whole repair. I dont have the funds for a 120 v mig and my friend's mig that i'm borrowing is pretty terrible. Its not a show car, so i dont mind that there is a chance "ghost lines" could appear.

So thats the game plan now starting this week hopefully if work allows.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #425 of 715 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 11:13 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I dont know much about wide bodys on 4 door integras, but when i smashed my buddies s13 with my yukon we slapped a widebody kit on it for like $300 and no one ever noticed lol. It was a super quick fix with no welding at all haha
post #426 of 715 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

i started back on the car here and there. More let downs lol. i started out with routing some wires for the oil pressure gauge and a/f gauge, routed wires for the usb charging ports, and hardwired my old radar detector (it probably needs to be updated lol). so last night i attempted to dedicate an hour to working on the car. i received a package from acura for some new washer nozzles (replace the integra style with honda fit style) so i figured this is easy i'll do this first. well, i open up the package and they are completely wrong. not even close. so i check the part number, also not even close. so i have the correct parts now being shipped from delray.

so after that i said i'll put the intermediate shaft it. got it lined up, went right into place, and i started tightening the bolts down and i got to a point where they would go any further but there was still slop in the intermediate shaft bracked. wtf....so i back out the bolts and took the shaft off the car. this is when i realized i have majorly screwed up. i did not measure right for my timeserts....UGH! i cannot re-drill and re-thread those holes unless i take down the subframe, power steering, front suspension, all of that crap again. i have decided not to, the difference is pretty minimal. i think that if i use one flat washer and one lock washer i can make up the difference. i'll run it like this, and if i need to address it down the road i will. so after work today, i'll pick up 3 flat washers and 3 lock washers.

so i said fine, i will do something stupid simple. the intermediate shaft is in and the passenger axle is in. i'll fill the tranny with new tranny fluid. WRONG. whoever last took the fill plug off "He-Manned" that thing on there and i cannot get it to budge. at one point the ratchet and socket slipped and rounded off one corner. at this point, i was out in the garage for 57 minutes. so i called it quits lol. so much went wrong in less than an hour. tonight, i'll see if i can wiggle my impact gun in there to break that thing free. my 1/2" breaker bar wasn't cutting it, and my 1/2" air ratchet didnt have the torq to get it off.

its always interesting, i'll give it that.
post #427 of 715 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 07:31 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
vss tranny fill ftw! 8)
m_haiser likes this.
post #428 of 715 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

i guess soaking that fill plug in pb blaster over night worked. i went out last night ready to fight that thing again and it broke loose almost immediately. i wasnt expecting that, i actually fell over into the car because i was fully anticipating putting my weight into the ratchet to break that loose. so tranny is all sealed up and full of fluid. so to continue my quick and "easy" work during the week, i went to the rear of the car and bolted in place the new parking brake cables (except for where they mount to the rear trailing arms because they are not on the car yet). then i turned back to the interior electronics. i think i may have to come up with a new location to tap for power for my USB charging ports, gauge power, and my fog light relay/switch. it looks like when the local stereo shop installed my alarm years ago (holy crap, just realized they installed it 13 years ago now, i may need to update the alarm), they tapped into one of the constants and the flashing light ports.

i'll have to double check to make sure i'm looking at this correctly. i think i can use the other constant port for the usb charging ports, and i can use the ignition constant for the gauges, maybe the accessory for the fog lights? i'll have to take a closer look and make sure i'm calling out what they used correctly. i'll work on that tonight and try to clean up the mess of wires all over the inside of the car and start buttoning that back up.
post #429 of 715 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

I sold my tacoma today, i need to get this $$$ in the bank before the integra convinces me that i need to dump 10 grand into it lol.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
dpaton and Jeffaome like this.
post #430 of 715 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

so i made some additional progress with the car this weekend, i didn have a ton of time to work on anything big so i did little things again. i started connecting the wires for the gauges, hard wiring in my radar detector, and ran wires for my usb charger. i then connected the battery to see if my gauges would light up or if the radar would power on. and they did not....i tapped into the light bulbs in the ashtray/cig lighter area for the gauge lights and i tapped into the 12v constant on the cig lighter for the radar detector. no juice! i double checked power with my 12v tester and i got a big fat zero reading. so i checked all the fuses and they were all good. ugh...i hate electricity. then i noticed with the key in the on position, the vafc2 is not lit up. no power to that either. so i'm going to have to go back through all of that wiring i re-did at the euc and make sure all is well there. the inside of the car looks like a disaster now. i hope to basically finish up the interior this week after work, and i after i try installing some glass window block on my house on saturday, i'm going to continue on the body work.

oh also noticed i have a coolant leak / drip. there is only so many places this thing can be leaking since nothing is under pressure, all i did was top off the radiator and the overflow bottle. i'm hoping its going to just be some leftover coolant that i spilled when filling up the system.
post #431 of 715 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

car updates. so, working on some electrical issues. i had a number of wtfs this weekend (not car related) so i was restricted to only a couple hours each day for work. i finished all of wiring related to the radar detector, gauges, the usb charges, and the fog light switch. that was a lot of freakin wires to route and hide... everything works with the exception of the items connected to the power leads to the ash tray and cig light bulbs. it doesnt look like i'm getting any juice to those bulbs. i checked all of the fuses and replaced 2 that looked questionable, but they were unrelated to where my issue was. i know i'm getting power to the ash tray assembly because i tapped the 12v on the cig lighter to power the radar detector and that is working. and then to top it off when i was testing the wires for current and just as my luck would have it, when i moved the ashtray and lighter assembly out of the way it just so happened to line up perfectly with a screwdriver i had on the floor and i heard a quick zap and pop. now i have no gauge cluster lights and no ash tray lights. i checked all my fuses and i have none burned out. i hate fighting with electronics. is it possible i burned out the dash lights or should i go through the fuses again? i still don't understand how i have power to the cig lighter itself but not to the bulbs since they both plug into the same harness.

speaking of fighting electronics...the vafc2 is still not turning on. i never did like the way the local shop installed it years ago(the cut, stripped and just twisted the connections all together), i think i;m going to completely re-do all of the connections and see what happens. i'm going to go through the manual and make sure there isnt something else i'm missing to make sure that powers up correctly.

A bit of good news, the coolant leak is fixed. i wish all of my issues with the car were that easy to fix. it was just a loose hose clamp. one more week of work this week, then i have all of next week off. i'm building a small deck at the house, but hopefully with weather permitting that should only take 2 or 3 days and then i can work on the car the rest of my "vacation"
post #432 of 715 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

deck = incomplete and a nightmare when trying to make something square and parallel to a 100 year old house

car stuff: still fighting with the ecu and fuses, rear inner quarter panel repair = complete, front wheelhouse repair = complete. driver's side brake assembly = reinstalled.

i repaired the rear inner panel a little blindly since i did a patch repair. it looks like i may be off a bit and will need to persuade it back into position tomorrow. a few minor things with the driver's side in the front and the front of the car is completo.
post #433 of 715 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

hey i got some work done on the car again! the rear quarter inner panel has been persuaded to be where i need it to. i need to trim down the outer patch panel and add some bracing to mount the panel to, then the major part of that quarter's repair is complete minus some seam sealer and rustproofing.

here is a few pics of the work i did this weekend.

here is the front wheelhouse repair all seam sealed and coated in chassis saver. once it dried from this picture i roughed up the chassis saver and sprayed rubberized undercoating over i and then reinstalled the front fender.

now that work is done, i can reinstall the rest of the suspension, brakes, and axle on that side.

i finsihed the alarm "re-install". had to wire up a new siren and i re routed some of the wiring. mounted the siren up under the front fender.

also re-routed the hood latch cable per the article. that was kind of a pain. i also don't know if it is hung up on something, or if re-routing it exaggerated how stuck my hood release cable is. it doesnt want to retract back to "closed" position. i will double check the routing, but i think i may need to replace the cable.

caliper, rotor, brakes, and hose all connected up on the passenger side. rotor is showing surface rust from sitting in my garage. i'm not worried, driving and applying the brakes will get rid of it.

i replaced all of the weatherstripping under the wiper cowl. it was basically no existent. only down side is the thickness of the weather stripping i installed is at least twice as thick as the original. i dont think i'll be able to re-use the stock clips. i also broke every oem clip nearest the window so i ordered all new clips. i'll try to reinstall once those come in. also installed honda fit washer nozzles.

and i need to ask a question. i think i know the answer, but i always like to get other people's input. here is the washer bottle area. obviously the one plug goes to the washer pump. the second plug that is not connected to anything...is that just there for the rear washer pump if the car was a 2 door? i dont remember it being plugged into anything and thats all i can come up with.

my goals this week are to finish fixing the wiring and to cut out the bad metal on the other side. once the sparks are done flying on that side, i'll re-install the fuel tank, finishing bending the vent line and connect the fuel pump. then i may be bold enough to turn the key on and get some systems pressurized, check for leaks, and hopefully at least attempt to get the old girl fired up. i actually see light and the end of the tunnel! lol
MorningZ and atkinsonar like this.
post #434 of 715 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Man....what a weekend. I didnt get the new patch panel installed because i am way to forgetful and i forgot to order more body panel adhesive. that's ok, it should be here tomorrow or the next day.

so saturday was full of exciting events. i didnt get to work on the car much at all, spent a lot of the day with family. found out i'm going to be a dad! so i really need to make sure this car gets done lol i'm sure once there is a newborn around, car work time will be significantly reduced for a while.

so here is what i did get done, and of course i have questions as always. i spent some time cleaning up the garage, which i have no idea why i did. it was a disaster after working in it on sunday. i decided my door panels were getting in the way, so i reinstalled them back into the cars. i also wanted to install my mirrors back on the car so i wouldnt have to fish out the plug for the power mirrors later on. so that turned into a bit of a project. if you remember to way back when i got the car back, i broke both mirrors folding them in. at that point, they didnt want to sit in the out position, or the folded in position. something broke that locked them into place. i came across a good deal on some used ones, but they didnt have the body line in them that the 96 mirrors had. so i decided to start swapping parts. i found out what broke in my mirrors. there is a coiled tension spring that is held in place with some sort of lock washer and e-clip. both of mine were "unsprung", clip missing, and the lock washer looking piece all rusted and busted up. so i swapped out the internals of the 94-95 style mirrors and installed them in the housings of my 96-up style mirrors. didnt take too terribly long and i'm happy with the results...with the exception of me shattering one of the mirrors....

here is the work station lol. 3 sets of mirrors, the 94-95 sedan mirrors, my 96+ sedan mirrors, and a free set of coupe mirrors i got. and all 3 of them have a different mirror backing plate!

Here is the inside of my broken mirrors, see the "unsprung" spring and washer? that is supposed to on that post you can barely see with an e-clip

[/URL]

And here is my ooops.

Different backing plates

am i able to remove just the mirror itself from the backing plate? i would think that i should be able to, its on there pretty good though. i wasnt sure exactly how to separate the two while not completely destroying the glass. i don't see any additional screws, glue maybe? any input?

and while i was re-installing the front suspension and brakes etc..., i may have run into an issue? maybe not... does this axle looked seated on the intermediate shaft? i cant pull it off and i can't push it on any further. i cant tell if it is fully seated. what do you guys think?

edit: forgot one of my questions. i found the hood hinge covers and attempted to put these back on the car. how in the heck do these stay on the car? are they supposed to be adhesived on somehow? i don't see how they would stay in place with driving wind.

thats really all this weekend allowed for. i now have some further motivation to get this car done asap, and good thing it's a sedan!
atkinsonar likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page