danteisme's 1996 DB8-Found and Rebuild Thread - Page 30 - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra
 225Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #407 of 715 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 14 reviews
i'm hopeful at getting all of the engine related pieces back where they belong this weekend. Hopefully the rest of the restoration goes smoothly and i won't need any additional big ticket items to finish. i pick up my new-to-me truck saturday morning and i'll have a vehicle payment again for the first time in about 5 years,,,,yuck.

1996 DB8 Bought 2003--->Sold 2010--->Bought Back May 2014 Restoration in Process!!
Bloggity Blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #408 of 715 (permalink) Old 05-15-2016, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

i've been slowly working on the teg. very slowly.

power steering is all the way in, along with the itr exhaust manifold

intake manifold back on. good grief, those middle nuts at manifold to cylinder head connection are ridiculous to try and reinstall. its all plumbed up about 95% too. got the fuel rail, injectors, and fuel hose all connected too.

i say 95% complete because for the life of me i cannot recall what connects to this nipple sticking out of the throttle body. its not the evap canister, got that ruled out already. little help with this one?

i also started the most terrifying process yet on this car. i cut this piece off the car to start the rear rust repair. i'm starting small, because i dont want to have to cut off more than i need and replace more than i need. so a few things i'm finding out so far. the rust to the inner panel is pretty bad. the outter is not bad at all other than what you could plainly see.

cut this off

exposed this portion of the wheel arch and inner panel.

you can see how trashed the inner panel is in the lip area

so far, i actually do not anticipate needing to cut off any additional outer panel for rust repair, maybe to get better access to the inner panel for repair.

luckily, i have one of these for both sides

and the inner panels they came with are in decent shape, so i;ll probably end up cutting material off these ones and welding them to the car

so, this is definitely more than the body work i'm used to and have previous experience with. it probably shows lol. if i take my time, and keep doing my research, hopefully this will turn out ok.
drmix and ILxIntegra like this.
post #409 of 715 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 02:11 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Having those extra quarter panels is going to be a life saver here I'm betting. Seeing that damage makes me dread having to do this on mine in the future.
danteisme likes this.

"The Value of Life can be measured by how many times your soul has been deeply Stirred." - Soichiro Honda
[CONEV8R] 10:52 pm: blowjob gasket
[CONEV8R] 10:53 pm: err.... i mean, head gasket
Kaelorr: "It is, to this day, the only Honda I've ever seen roll coal."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #410 of 715 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

its not fun. this is unknown waters i'm treading into there as well lol. but like you said, luckily i have 2 entire replacement panels for material. it seems after my little initial investigation that most of the bad is concentrated to the wheel arch and maybe 1 inch out from that.
post #411 of 715 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

I need a good tip to remove an o2 sensor that does not want to leave my itr manifold. Heat? Other? I cannot get it to budge with the sensor socket an a breaker bar.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #412 of 715 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 07:36 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
if you dont mind trashing the old one i'd try the acetone/atf mix.

honda - How to Unscrew/loosen stuck O2 sensor - Motor Vehicle Maintenance & Repair Stack Exchange
danteisme, ILxIntegra and Jeffaome like this.
post #413 of 715 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 08:05 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
^Ditto. The Acetone/ATF mix works much better than stuff like liquid wrench and PB Blaster. I guess I was lucky doing mine; guy at work managed to muscle them out of their holes.
danteisme likes this.
post #414 of 715 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Im gonna give that concoction a try! This o2 sensor is most likely junk and i have a new replacement for it.

post #415 of 715 (permalink) Old 05-24-2016, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

i will hopefully have some good updates at the end of this week. i took of Friday from work, so i have 4 days off of work. as long as people leave me alone, i'll be able to dedicate almost all of the time off on Friday and Saturday on the car, and a good portion of Sunday and Monday as well.

here is where i left off from this weekend.

i cut out all of the bad metal in the driver's wheel well. i'll pick up another piece of sheet metal and put something together to patch this up.

and i did some more exploratory cutting and i think i'm through all of the rusted metal. outter panel cut got a little bigger, but not much. and it gives me an easy place to locate my cut on the donor panel.

and i'm going to cut the inner panel somewhere along this sharpied line and grab the metal from the donor's inner panel and weld the two together.

things i need to do before this long weekend is mainly get my welder dialed in and set up to work on thin metal like this. its a crappy welder, but i've been doing my research and it should do what i need it to do. i also need to determine what i need to do with my panel adhesived areas (wheel arch) and my welded areas (everything else). i'm sure there is some precaution i need to take, just need to find out what it is lol. but that is my goals as of right now, get one side of the car squared away in terms of replacing the bad metal so i can work on the driver's side.

my original goal of having the car out for a test drive this weekend is completely out the window, but that might have been too ambitious of a goal. i'm setting my new test drive goal for this time next month, which at this point i think is much more realistic!
MorningZ and ILxIntegra like this.
post #416 of 715 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Ugh. Well, all of the stuff ive read about flux welders being able to weld this thin of metal at the right settings is incorrect. I changed to good wire, and have it at almost the slowest setting, and its blowing holes through my test panels. Ifs weird, its blowing straight through just about every other test. So....might not be any action on the quarter panel work until i get something figured out. So disappointing...

post #417 of 715 (permalink) Old 05-28-2016, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

i got the welder situation figured out, however i wont have it until next weekend. my friend has a 110 mig i can borrow for as long as i need it. so i'm working on other loose ends to clean up while i wait for the welder. so, i noticed that i do not have all my my misc. vacuum lines and various hoses hooked up like i originally thought i did. so, i'm thinking i now have something hooked up incorrectly with the intake manifold and all of its various hoses. i'm embarrassed to ask this, but i've searched and i could not find a good picture / location for this. where does the pcv valve connect to? its gotta be on the intake manifold somewhere, but i'm 99% sure all of the ports etc.. are connected, which makes me think i have something connected wrong.

lil help please?

edit: nevermind, i'm an idiot. pcv valve is straightened out lol
post #418 of 715 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

i forgot to update this. just a couple of minor things, picking up the mig welder from my buddy today. so hopefully after a day of practicing on some scrap metal, i can start on the inner panel and make my repairs to the front wheelhouse.

last weekend i put the passenger side suspension and the fender back on. after i patch some bad metal in the driver's side wheelhouse, then i can reassemble that side. i patched the busted up front bumper. a little body work and it will be good as new. more work than what i wanted to put in on it, but apparently it is impossible to find a 94-97 bumper around here...

post #419 of 715 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 12:19 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I finally got a chance to go through all of this and I give you mad props for attacking all that rust. I had to scrap my old car and one of my current projects once it gets wheels to roll away haha. When I was living in Charlotte for school I showed people some pics of my gsx and they really couldn't even fathom how bad rust really is up here. But the progress looks really good if you need a hand with any mechanical stuff hit me up since you're so close haha. I'd offer to help with the rust and body but I'm not much of a body guy haha
danteisme likes this.
post #420 of 715 (permalink) Old 06-03-2016, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, its ridiculous what the winter seasons do to cars up here. And thanks for the offer, i might have to take you up on that once i try to fire the ole girl back up. Hopefully it goes smoothly, but you never know

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page