danteisme's 1996 DB8-Found and Rebuild Thread - Page 29 - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra
 225Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #393 of 715 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 06:35 AM

Feedback Score: 33 reviews
Did you use the pin holes on the cams themselves to hold everything still? Slipping the belt on should be a minute or two tops if the cams are held still and you keep one hand pulling the tensioner away from the belt.

Racing is the process of turning money into noise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #394 of 715 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 14 reviews
danteisme's 1996 DB8-Found and Rebuild Thread

No i used the lock took from street rays to hold them in place. The method that worked was slipping just the edge of the belt over each gear at the same time and then sliding the belt over both at the same time.

I think the other thing that helped was i readjusted my grip on the tensioner and i was able to keep tension off the belt easier. We'll see how things look after i rotate the crank a few times and make sure i have the tensioner where it is supposed to be.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
MorningZ likes this.

1996 DB8 Bought 2003--->Sold 2010--->Bought Back May 2014 Restoration in Process!!
Bloggity Blog
post #395 of 715 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

i still need to make some adjustments on the timing belt before i close up that end of the motor. it seems like there is a little too much play in the belt.

i mainly wanted to show how awesome this evaporust stuff is. check out these pictures. these first few pics are of the new to me crank pulley when i got it.

and here it is after soaking in evaporust for a day.

i actually have timing marks again!
ILxIntegra and aw614 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #396 of 715 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 10:12 AM
Site Founder/Administrator

Articles: 75
Garage
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
That stuff is amazing !

- Running Log, the trials and tribulations of building a car

echlonwarrior: "Hondabond saves lives"
K2sInteg98: "the best thing to do is keep spending and not keep count....lol"
dpaton: "The road to hell is paved with good intentions"
post #397 of 715 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 08:28 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
@dpaton , I know yours is covered in axle grease, but this Evaporust stuff may be handy in the coming years for us.

"The Value of Life can be measured by how many times your soul has been deeply Stirred." - Soichiro Honda
[CONEV8R] 10:52 pm: blowjob gasket
[CONEV8R] 10:53 pm: err.... i mean, head gasket
Kaelorr: "It is, to this day, the only Honda I've ever seen roll coal."
post #398 of 715 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

Articles: 1
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Evaporust is amazing stuff. Worth every damn penny. I've saved all kinds of things with it. Some very old Starrett height gauges, a super precision level (0.0005"/ft), micrometers...yeah. It's amazing.
danteisme and ILxIntegra like this.

95 EJ1 Milano RIP/died/sold -> 98 DB7 CSM RIP/totalled -> 97 DB7 CSM Awful. Sold it back. -> 01 DB8 YR525M RIP/totalled -> 06 Civic LX daily -> 1991 CRX HF (YT)

Integra friends are the best friends.
post #399 of 715 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

hopefully someday i'll provide an exciting update...

got the oil pan on with the new stud kit all torq'd to spec, put the flywheel on and tried to torq it to spec. i set up the torq wrench but i never got to the point where it clicked. i used a pry bar to try and hold the flywheel still while i torq'd but i got to a point where it wouldn't tighten anymore. is there any other way i should be trying to torq this thing down?

same goes for the crank pulley, put a brand new bolt in and the manual says to torq to 140, back it out and then torq to 130. using the crank pulley tool on a large breaker bar, and my 1/2" torq wrench i was not able to get it to the 140 or the 130. i was starting to get some deflectiong in the breaker bar. tight enough? or should i worry about really getting in to spec?

hopefully tonight or tomorrow after work i'll get the clutch installed, then if i have time before the weekend i'll try and get the tranny back in. i wanted to get the tranny back in before i mess with the final tension adjustments on the timing belt in case i need to lower that driver's side mount again. that way i won't have to play balancing act with the motor connected to one mount and resting on jackstands lol
post #400 of 715 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

Articles: 1
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
When was your tq wrench last calibrated?

I've never had an issue getting to 140 on the crank bolt with my wrench, an old Snap-On TQ-150 that gets verified annually.

Well, I have, only because it's awkward to hold the breaker bar in the pulley tool, hold the tq wrench, and look at the dial all at the same time as applying 90lbs to the wrench.
post #401 of 715 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

i think that is part of the problem, its awkward trying to hold everything at once and apply some muscle to the wrench itself. and to be honest, it is a cheap torq wrench. i just picked up a pittsburgh tools special sometime last year. it hasnt been used before this project. i think i would have an easier time torquing the pulley bolt vs the fly wheel bolt just because of the bolt type. i'll have to give it another try.
post #402 of 715 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

updates! i got the flywheel and crank pulley torq'd as they should. now time for some hilarity/stupidity on my part. i grab my clutch kit and clean the surface of the flywheel and get everything ready. i use my alignment tool and set the clutch disc on and i push the clutch disc in place. then i notice, something isn't lining up correctly. took everything off and realigned and the clutch disc itself was setting on the pins the pressure plate lines up with. at this point, i'm goin ?? so i start researching and second guessing how i'm going about assembling the clutch. after not finding any conclusive answers i go to my garbage pile where the old disc and pressure plate are and i grab them to compare to the new replacement. instantly, something is wrong. the replacement is like twice the size. so now i'm thinking AWESOME....i got shipped the wrong part. then it hit me....i'm an idiot. i'm trying to install the clutch for my Tacoma on the integra....now that i've wasted an hour i go back in the house and get the correct kit and feel stupid lol.

so my goal was to get the clutch all done and get the transmission back in the car. that didnt happen. for whatever reason, my torque wrench decided not to click off and i snapped off a pressure plate bolt in the flywheel. so i have a new one of those on order. i think next pay day, i'm going to invest in a decent torq wrench. i have so many issues with these cheapos (no sh*t right??). it's my own fault.

i got the timing belt fixed up too. i followed the manual's method of tightening the tensioner bolt after lining up the cam gears per the manual, but it just wasnt getting tight enough. so i used a pry bar and put a little more tension on the timing belt and that did the trick. no more excessive slack in the belt in any of the rotations. so i'm calling that good.

got the new motor mount installed, torq mount installed, put some oil in the motor, and did a valve lash adjustment. i also installed the new fuel meter, pump, and new to me pump bracket that doesnt have the rusted and corroded fuel line connections. i think that's about all i did this weekend. just gotta wait for my new parts to arrive.

oh no wait, i tried to install the throw out bearing in the clutch while i had some time. yes i tried to install the integra one, not the one for the tacoma. anyways, i squeezed the spring clip together to release the fork and the clip broke in two. sure....why not..... at this point, i called it quits for the weekend lol.

and my checklist is getting much shorter. this dry erase board was basically full from one side to the other. and most of these items dont take much work, just replacement parts. some light at the end of the tunnel!

ILxIntegra and dpaton like this.
post #403 of 715 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

MOAR updates:

i think i would have got more done this weekend if it were not for 2 things. spending over 2 hours working on my brother in law's wrx, and still waiting for parts from acura.

i cant attach the pics yet either, my photobucket is being dumb this morning. so here is what got accomplished this weekend.

-re-sprayed valve cover with the wrinkle black paint. it came out better, but its still not great. definitely a good from far, far from good kind of paint job. next time i have the valve cover off or if i pick up an extra one, i'll re-do the wrinkle finish again.

-started re-installing the power steering system. its been so long since the car has had power steering, i'm kind of surprised it all fits in there. after laying all of the hoses etc.. out, it just seems like it cant all fit in there with all of the coolant hoses etc...

-installed the shifter bushings in the shift linkage (energy suspension kit).

-removed the old outer tie rods (lots of heat via a torch finally got these things off), i'll rent the tool this week for the inner tie rods.

-installed new bando drive belts

-after curing for 48 hours, installed new valve cover gasket and appurtenances with the valve cover

-installed new cap/rotor/plugs and wires

-installed the clutch disc and pressure plate

-and lastly i "plugged" the holes where the door mouldings used to be. i finally tried out my panel bonding adhesive, this stuff seems to work pretty good. i cut approximately 1"x 2" metal squares, prepped both surfaces, and then basically glued them in place with the adhesive. 'll just need to sand off the excess material on the outside, add some bondo and smooth out the doors.

oh, i also used the same method to shave off the antenna hole as well.

i'm STILL waiting for my freakin parts from acura. i really , really need the new clutch fork spring so i can re-install the transmission. i think at that point, i'll really feel like the car is coming together.

found a couple more parts i need. i need the upper power steering pump bracket. i picked a set off of ebay only to realize that it is for an LS motor. DOH! i also found out that the bumper cover i purchased last year off CL is cracked in quite a few places. the grille work is all cracked and broken. i'll try to re-sell it on CL and label it as perfect for cutting up and running a front mount intercooler. the rest of the bumper is fine, but not going to work for me.

EDIT: Photobucket is finally working again for me
Drive belts routed and power steering started

cooler mounted

my bleh valve cover

cap, rotor, wires, clutch

hard to tell, but these are the "filled" moulding holes

shaved antenna hole, or at least the beginnings of it.

the mess i'm trying to re-plumb and re-route...

another shot of the bleh valve cover. its good enough for now.

Last edited by danteisme; 04-18-2016 at 03:17 PM. Reason: added photos
post #404 of 715 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 10:41 AM

Feedback Score: 33 reviews
I have the PS mounts in my pile I think, I'll check this evening. If I do, it's yours.
danteisme likes this.
post #405 of 715 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

You rock!!
post #406 of 715 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

1:19 am and the tranny is almost all the way in. danteisme's 1996 DB8-Found and Rebuild Thread-imageuploadedbyag-free1461475209.627463.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page