danteisme's 1996 DB8-Found and Rebuild Thread - Page 26 - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra
 225Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #351 of 715 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 05:53 PM
Site Founder/Administrator

Articles: 75
Garage
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
A buncha bags of cha-ching !
danteisme likes this.

- Running Log, the trials and tribulations of building a car

echlonwarrior: "Hondabond saves lives"
K2sInteg98: "the best thing to do is keep spending and not keep count....lol"
dpaton: "The road to hell is paved with good intentions"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #352 of 715 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 14 reviews
somehow this batch of oem goodies only cost me like $35. by far the cheapest yet! lol

1996 DB8 Bought 2003--->Sold 2010--->Bought Back May 2014 Restoration in Process!!
Bloggity Blog
post #353 of 715 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Did some work tonight, just got in. Started installing the ITR oil cooler. I think i got the right bolt out, does this look right?danteisme's 1996 DB8-Found and Rebuild Thread-imageuploadedbyag-free1457239170.713127.jpg

Started getting stuff ready to drop the transmission. Took the starter off and yikes! danteisme's 1996 DB8-Found and Rebuild Thread-imageuploadedbyag-free1457239106.159508.jpg

I got a good portion of the bolts out, dropped the lower torq mount, and removed the flywheel cover. Hopefully it will be off the car tomorrow.

And i snapped a pic of the steering coupler reattached to the steering shaft and the rack. I cannot remember how this looked before i removed it. Does this look right?
danteisme's 1996 DB8-Found and Rebuild Thread-imageuploadedbyag-free1457239480.909143.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #354 of 715 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

so here is the rest of my updates for the weekend.

the harborfrieght transmission jack is awesome. i was able to easily drop this transmission all by my lonesome this afternoon.

i have absolutely no idea what the "material" is that you see in the transmission. it looks like wood shavings.

2 of the 3 transmission mount bolts are completely stripped out. so its time to order another time-sert kit. freaking expensive things, but i dont want to take a chance.

see ya old exedy stage 1!

and now i know why it was engaging weird when i drove it home after i bought it. there were a couple pieces like this hanging out under the pressure plate.

hola type r flywheel!

it looks like the pieces that were going rouge in the transmission made contact a few times. i hope i can get this resurfaced.

any guesses as to what the heck this stuff is? it seriously feels like wood shavings, or maybe a wasp's nest. weird. i'm at a loss...

edit: i forgot to mention i fought with that exhaust stud again. i put a flanged nut onto that awful exhaust manifold stud. i tacked it on place, and i broke it off more.... ugh. so i tried again with some vice grips and nothing. nadda. i really dont wanna have to drill this thing out, because there is no room for a drill here. the radiator is and other items are right in the way. getting frustrated with that thing.
post #355 of 715 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 11:06 PM
Site Founder/Administrator

Articles: 75
Garage
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
That stuff may be mold maybe?

As for that exhaust stud, i'd just recommend pulling out the radiator and fans, because no matter what you do or how you fix it, that extra space will come in handy...
post #356 of 715 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Articles: 1
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Maybe mold. Maybe old stop-leak.

As for that broken stud, if you have a friend with a TIG, they may be able to help you out. Otherwise, safest bet is to pull then head and take it to a shop.

Oh, and in all my years of using Time Serts, I've never considered them expensive. The job they do is amazingly good, and worth every damn penny IMO.

95 EJ1 Milano RIP/died/sold -> 98 DB7 CSM RIP/totalled -> 97 DB7 CSM Awful. Sold it back. -> 01 DB8 YR525M RIP/totalled -> 06 Civic LX daily -> 1991 CRX HF (YT)

Integra friends are the best friends.
post #357 of 715 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

true, i may as well just remove the radiator at this point, i drained it to replace the hoses.

i should have worded the expensive part differently. they are expensive in comparison to heli coils, but the work a heck of a lot better.
dpaton likes this.
post #358 of 715 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Ha! Victory! I'm so stupid sometimes, i don't know why i didn't try this earlier. I'm pretty sure i mentioned this before, but i highly suggest everyone get a set of these if you have rounded rusted hardware to deal with like i have.

atkinsonar likes this.
post #359 of 715 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 10:44 PM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via MSN to atkinsonar Send a message via Yahoo to atkinsonar
Quote:
Originally Posted by danteisme View Post
Ha! Victory! I'm so stupid sometimes, i don't know why i didn't try this earlier. I'm pretty sure i mentioned this before, but i highly suggest everyone get a set of these if you have rounded rusted hardware to deal with like i have.

A must have in the tool box. I've had to use my set quite a few times.

danteisme likes this.

13 Ford Explorer (Wifes)
02 HD V-Rod (latest toy)
95 Acura Integra GSR
post #360 of 715 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

I was going back through my pics last night and started looking at this one pic, tell me if i'm crazy. Could this, residue or whatever it is, be at least partially caused from a leak from this plug i have circled? i would assume it would be a coolant leak and not an oil leak, but i could be wrong

should i just remove this plug and put some sealant or whatever on the threads and re-torque it back in the block to spec?
post #361 of 715 (permalink) Old 03-11-2016, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

alright, setting my goals for this weekend's work. have a little road trip saturday, so saturday is kinda meh for getting work done on the car.

need to clean up the mess in the above picture, get the flywheel to the machine shop to see if it can be cleaned up, drain the oil so i can install the ITR oil cooler, change the axle seals in the tranny, and start work on the water pump/timing belt/lma install. if i can get pretty through that list i'll be happy. if i can get further, i'll do the rear main and the oil pan gasket too.
post #362 of 715 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

I got a lot accomplished this weekend. the machine shop was closed so i was unable to drop off the flywheel, i got most of the mess cleaned up in the tranny, and i am def missing a box of parts somewhere in my house lol. i could not locate my axle seals anywhere. i know i bought them, just have to track them down.

so here is what i did get done:
ITR cooler = in!

i'm a little worried about this top hose, does it look like it is kinked too much? i'd much rather address this now and avoid a possible leak when the car is all put back together.

got the evap canister all hooked back up to the appropriate fuel lines

next, the LMAs. Thank God there are DIY's and how-to's for this already created by other people

a little extra factor of safety

sharpied a line on the distributor to help line it all back up. not shown, i did the same thing with the t belt and the cam gears.

science of speed replacements

i got the old ones out and the new ones in before i ran out of time. just need to mostly reassemble, then tackle the t-belt replacement and water pump replacement along with some other seals.

organization is key!!!

i started soaking some bolts in that evaporust...man is that stuff nice! it works real well. and my last pic, i obtained another part:

looking forward to getting some real work done this week and upcoming weekend. just need to find my missing bag o parts.....
post #363 of 715 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 12:35 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to JDMJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to JDMJNKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by danteisme View Post

I was going back through my pics last night and started looking at this one pic, tell me if i'm crazy. Could this, residue or whatever it is, be at least partially caused from a leak from this plug i have circled? i would assume it would be a coolant leak and not an oil leak, but i could be wrong

should i just remove this plug and put some sealant or whatever on the threads and re-torque it back in the block to spec?
labor of love in here. Keep up the good resto! And yes that is a coolant passage, so resealing it is not a bad idea.
danteisme likes this.

1213 AFFILIATION - JDMKIDS | CALI LOVE | AS1 FAMILIA
1213 AFFINITY - Integra Log | NITE GRIND TRANSMISSIONS | GRIPSET | NASTIE GARAGE | CALI LOVE CLOTH. |
post #364 of 715 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

what does something like this typically get sealed with? i'm sure it is sealed with something from the factory. like teflon tape on the threads or just some hondabond maybe?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page