danteisme's 1996 DB8-Found and Rebuild Thread - Page 25 - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra
 225Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #337 of 715 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 14 reviews
i really wanted to get more work done this weekend, but it was just too freakin cold. with both heaters going it wasnt enough. so i put the rack and subframe back together. yay....

i really wanted to replace the inner and outer tie rods with it off the car, but i think i need the whole thing bolted in the car so i can have some leverage to remove the tie rods. it wasnt working very well off the car.

MorningZ and hungry718 like this.

1996 DB8 Bought 2003--->Sold 2010--->Bought Back May 2014 Restoration in Process!!
Bloggity Blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #338 of 715 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

finally got some good wrenching done on the car this weekend, not as much as i wanted but thats always how it goes. i cleaned up the fuel filter mount and installed the new fuel filter. then i completed the fuel line and brake line routing, finsihed bending my vent line and got that all buttoned up.

and then i started replacing heater hoses and other coolant hoses along with the tstat.

when i tried removing the heater hoses i bent the hell out of that tubing from the heater core (i assume thats what it was anyways). so i had to reshape those a bit. i hope i dont have an issue later. but, lots of new coolant hoses. a lot of them had 212K miles on them and i just didnt want to take a chance.

then i moved to the back of the block to attempt to install the ITR oil cooler. i followed the article here, but i ran into a couple of head scratchers.

here is the old one off

here is the new one

what is the part number for the o rings on the ends? i couldnt find them in the parts breakdown anywhere.

also i read in the article to remove a bolt on the block to connect the other end of the oil cooler. is the rusted up bolt just to the upper right of the oil filter the correct one?

and if that is the correct one, is number 1 in this part diagram below what i need to make the connection? it looks like it is, just wanna verify before i finish up yet another order to acura lol

i think thats it for now, i attempted putting the subframe back in myself with a floor jack, but i think i'm going to need another set of hands with me to get everything lined up again, so that will have to wait until this weekend coming up.

if all goes well next weekend, the subframe goes back in and i will drop the transmission and start working on that and the motor. i'm sure that will have me placing at least one more order with delray acura lol
post #339 of 715 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Alright, i got all the parts i need to order (got all my answers from an old FS ad from Z actually lol). BUT! i forgot to post up another question yesterday. Looking for some solid ideas on how to get these 2 froze up exhaust studs out of the head.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #340 of 715 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 09:47 AM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via MSN to atkinsonar Send a message via Yahoo to atkinsonar
frozen exhaust studs... I'd try PB Blaster, and double-nuts if you haven't already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qYKMtb3Jpo

13 Ford Explorer (Wifes)
02 HD V-Rod (latest toy)
95 Acura Integra GSR
post #341 of 715 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

yeah i tried that. i'll give it another shot with some different nuts. the ones i had were just basic nuts. i have a feeling i was getting some slippage.

i'll try with some blaster and new nuts and see what happens. i that doesnt work, maybe i'll add some heat to the equation too.
post #342 of 715 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 10:22 AM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via MSN to atkinsonar Send a message via Yahoo to atkinsonar
Quote:
Originally Posted by danteisme View Post
yeah i tried that. i'll give it another shot with some different nuts. the ones i had were just basic nuts. i have a feeling i was getting some slippage.

i'll try with some blaster and new nuts and see what happens. i that doesnt work, maybe i'll add some heat to the equation too.
Don't be afraid to really tighten the two nuts against each other. Its been my experience the flange style nuts work best for this as they have more surface area to bite against each other.
danteisme likes this.
post #343 of 715 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

i'm sure i have a couple flanged nuts in my every growing bolt bin, if not, off to the advance auto i go lol
post #344 of 715 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 10:33 AM

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Double nuts are the way to go. Youll really have to crank them together. I usually put the box end of the wrench on there first then put the nuts on after that.
post #345 of 715 (permalink) Old 02-23-2016, 11:11 AM
Site Founder/Administrator

Articles: 75
Garage
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
and make sure to give that PB Blaster time to work !
post #346 of 715 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

so here we are again, another Monday of updates lol.

i thoroughly soaked those exhaust studs with blaster. and here are the results!

Victory!

Strike one...

Strike 2, 3, and Defeat....

frustrating. i tried vice grips on there but they wont bite. i'm thinking i might weld a nut on the end of it at this point and see how that goes.

Guess which one is the brake line i made lol

then i spent a wholllle lot of time trying to re-install the subfame. had several issues with it not lining up right, catching on something, etc.. etc... after a couple hours of messing with it my wife came home and gave me a hand. all bolted back in and re-torqued. i THINK i got the steering shaft collar/connector installed correctly, but i'm not 100% sure. i can't remember how it looked when i took it apart. it looks a little bunched up, but maybe its normal. i'll snap a pic this week sometime.

no pics of the broken bolts i drilled out of the rear sub-frame area just because there is nothing exciting about that.

so after i installed the front subfame, i tried really REALLY hard to do the tie rods. these things are so rusted up they wont budge. i'm open to any suggestions for this. i soaked them in PB and got to open end wrenches lined up to break that nut loose, but they just keep slipping.

i'm really leaning towards just grabbing my sawzall and hacking the outers off, sliding that boot off, then using the tie rod tool to remove the inners.

i did a few other misc. things, nothing really worth noting. i'm waiting on my order from Delray to show up to finish the ITR oil cooler install. other than that, i'm going to try to remove a few thiings here and there on the transmission after work this week so i just have to drop it out come Friday night or saturday. then the "fun" stuff ensues lol.
drmix and atkinsonar like this.
post #347 of 715 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Articles: 1
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Sparkle wrench/red wrench/flame wrench/torch

Get them nearly red and then hit them with the wrenches.
danteisme likes this.

95 EJ1 Milano RIP/died/sold -> 98 DB7 CSM RIP/totalled -> 97 DB7 CSM Awful. Sold it back. -> 01 DB8 YR525M RIP/totalled -> 06 Civic LX daily -> 1991 CRX HF (YT)

Integra friends are the best friends.
post #348 of 715 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

I only have a propane heater but its gonna be better than nothing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #349 of 715 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

Articles: 1
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
A MAPP gas torch is pretty cheap and will get a ton hotter.
post #350 of 715 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Yay tiny honda baggies!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAG Free1456958090.527430.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	62265  
JDMJNKY and Jeffaome like this.

Last edited by MorningZ; 03-02-2016 at 05:53 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page