danteisme's 1996 DB8-Found and Rebuild Thread - Page 19 - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra
 225Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #253 of 715 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 14 reviews
on a positive note though, i forgot to mention i finally got the inner bearing races off of the rear trailing arms. so during the week i should be able to get those coated with the chassis saver and the new bearings put on.

also on a good note, i've been going back and forth on how i want to attack these new to me rear quarter panels. i've been doing a lot of research on panel adhesive which from what i have read was basically created to make panel repairs for newer cars that have thing sheet metal like our cars. i was looking into this option because all ihave is a flux core welder and that is way to hot to weld this thing of metal, it will burn right through. But, my friend informed me over the weekend he has a mig welder that is somewhat portable and runs on a 110 electrical setup so i wont need to run a new breaker in my garage. so, again i have both welding and panel adhesive options available to me.

1996 DB8 Bought 2003--->Sold 2010--->Bought Back May 2014 Restoration in Process!!
Bloggity Blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #254 of 715 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Here is the transmission situation

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAG Free1431386960.934870.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	46873  

Last edited by MorningZ; 05-11-2015 at 08:04 PM.
post #255 of 715 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 08:05 PM
Site Founder/Administrator

Articles: 75
Garage
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
wow, that rusty?

Looks like the stud on the bottom (which is towards front of the car) is completely sheered off

that = no freaking bueno :-(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #256 of 715 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

I just noticed that now. Im gonna go back out and look to see if that is the case or if something was reflecting weird when i took the pic. But yeah, rust has been the overall theme for this car. I hate pennsylvania lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #257 of 715 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

I dont think i'll be able to tell for sure until i pull the tranny for the clutch. Its too hard to tell with it in the car, no room for my hands and all of the ac lines and coolant lines. It does look like it is a little shallower than the back hole. Not by much. But still, how wonderful. Not only are the studs not available anymore, one is also potentially broken off in the housing. Ugh.

EDIT: They are still available, i'm just an idiot and was looking at the wrong parts breakdown image.
post #258 of 715 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Some work done this weekend. I coated the rear trailing arms sith chassis saver, just have to reassemble them now. I also started getting the replacement panels ready. 2.5 hrs of drilling spot welds later and i have one panel ready. Just three more to go including the ones on the car lol. Ugh...danteisme's 1996 DB8-Found and Rebuild Thread-imageuploadedbyag-free1431888475.415274.jpg

post #259 of 715 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

some updates since i got to work on the car this weekend. the floor of the car is all prepped and ready for a coat of chassis saver. I attempted to drill out the spot welds on the other panel and i realized how screwed up that panel really is...it was repaired already at least once, i really don't know if i can use it now. we'll see how that pans out. i scraped all of the loose flaky stuff off of the fuel tank and coated that with chassis saver. then i ran out and need to get more to finish the bottom of the tank. turning out pretty good. i tested the fuel metering unit to see if that was my issue with the fuel gauge not responding. It sure seems like it, i was getting a wide, wide range of ohms on my tester, it was all over the place. i also but some trim paint from a local auto paint supply place. the guy there said a lot of body shops really like it, so i figured why not. i bought a can and sprayed my oem fog covers to make them look new. Not sure how i feel about the finish, it came out glossier than i had wanted, what do you guys think? and lastly, and as with every time i work on the car, i found more stuff that needs to be repaired...clutch master cylinder is leaking on the inside of the car, and i am definitely going to need an insert kit for the bolts in the back of the block for the driver's side axle support, and most likely for the transmission mount. oy....

tank

fogs

rear trailing arms ready for reassembly
post #260 of 715 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Awesome work on this stuff Dante. My mom and dad just recently "bought back" their 1987 Toyota 4Runner (SR5, 22RE, 5 Speed). It was sold to my uncle in the mid 90s who lives up in Lancaster county PA. So, we feel you on the rust project.. So much that we even bought another 87 rolling shell here locally to get our sheet metal out of, lol.

We have lots of work ahead of us involving POR 15 for the chassis however. We already treated the upper and lower shock mounts when replacing the shocks a few months back. This stuff is super cool, it really does save chassis'.

I am watching this work closely for tips/tricks. Good stuff!
danteisme likes this.
post #261 of 715 (permalink) Old 05-26-2015, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

thanks! i probably should have bought a gallon or so of this stuff, it would have been much cheaper than buying a quart at a time but i was worried about letting it sit too long or the lid not sealing properly. i figure it costs a little more buying a quart at a time, but i'm not wasting any. rust repair is such a motivation killer lol i hope your rebuild on the 4runner goes well!
post #262 of 715 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

I worked on the teg for a little while today, until it bit my hand twice pretty good. I removed the type r manifold to clean it up. I forgot what a tight fit that thing is to get out of there. I'm gonna clean it up with a brass wire wheel on all of the real rough stuff and then polish it like in the article. I also broke the plug to the vtec solenoid. Doh! I also took the fan shrouds out to clean them up. They are a bit rusty. I really need to get a game plan of how i want to attack the various repairs on the car so i dont end up taking something off the car and then put it back on only to take it off again to fix something else. Here is a few pics before i got tired of the car lashing out at me lol
danteisme's 1996 DB8-Found and Rebuild Thread-imageuploadedbyag-free1433029047.485788.jpg
danteisme's 1996 DB8-Found and Rebuild Thread-imageuploadedbyag-free1433029063.941728.jpg
danteisme's 1996 DB8-Found and Rebuild Thread-imageuploadedbyag-free1433029077.104418.jpg
danteisme's 1996 DB8-Found and Rebuild Thread-imageuploadedbyag-free1433029094.349511.jpg

post #263 of 715 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

how do i remove this from the body of the car without destroying the fastening clips? i just want to move it out of the way when i chassis save the floor of the car this week.
post #264 of 715 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

another removal question...how do i get off the wiper cowl? i removed the clips up towards the windshield, i see a few in the engine bay. how do those come undone without me breaking everything?

got some more work done on the car this week. pulled the headliner so i can spruce that up a bit. coated the floors, and a few other odds and ends. i'm very close to putting the interior back in

i also went through all of my reference materials. i frequent the ti articles often lol

JDMJNKY likes this.
post #265 of 715 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

oy......my basement got flooded Monday night into Tuesday morning and some of my interior pieces, namely seats, were in the water... so on top of having to clean out my flooded basement, i'm out additional integra pieces.
post #266 of 715 (permalink) Old 06-17-2015, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Articles: 1
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Damn that sucks. My basement has been wet a few times, but never with enough water to trash the stuff on shelves, like my spare seats and other car parts. I did lose the bottom drawer of a filing cabinet though, with most of my warranty paperwork for everything my wife and I own. That sucked a bunch.

95 EJ1 Milano RIP/died/sold -> 98 DB7 CSM RIP/totalled -> 97 DB7 CSM Awful. Sold it back. -> 01 DB8 YR525M RIP/totalled -> 06 Civic LX daily -> 1991 CRX HF (YT)

Integra friends are the best friends.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page