Newt Gomez' K20A DC4 Build Log - Page 17 - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra
 103Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #225 of 325 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
So I still have a lean reading at cruise and now my car had a few rough starts the other day and I think I have figured out my problem! This is just my idea but I have replaced my fuel filters and fuel pump which didn't make any difference. I have replaced my dizzy back when I got my turbo rebuilt which is when the condition started happening. The timing is set correctly so that leaves me with my spark plugs. Now I don't put many miles on my teg, but they are usually hard miles and they were originally put in when the car got tuned wayyyyy back in September 2014. So it sounds ludicrous to me but I think replacing the plugs will make it run way better. I will probably go buy some plugs and do them this weekend and pray for some change!

I also think I figured out what I'm doing for numbers and classing this year for autocross!

Of course I have the CHOPPED fingers on that side but having vinyl on there will be so much nicer and it wont fly off like my awful magnets did every run last year lol. Numbers aren't final but it will say SMF either way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #226 of 325 (permalink) Old 03-04-2016, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

I ended up replacing my spark plugs (cylinder 3 had oil where the plug goes > ), changed my oil, checked clearance on my valves, and replaced the spark plug gaskets and the valve cover gasket. Changing out the plugs made it start up easier but the AFRs have not changed. The valves are still in spec from the turbo job. I have basically done everything I can within my power to fix it so that means...NEW TUNE TIME!!!!!! When I get the money from taxes of course...I am also picking up my numbers today and they look pretty sweet! I will post a picture when they are on the car.
post #227 of 325 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Had a pretty sweet weekend! Got to meet an FD god at a car meet and I got to autocross the racecar!

I got to meet a TON of people who enjoyed my car and I gave a ride along on every lap except for one lap. It did better than the majority of the people there which is always a great feeling. I beat a lot of subarus and even some miatas but my buddy in his GTR and my other buddy in his turbo MR2 both beat me by about .5 seconds! We all basically have similar set ups but different cars. Not having an LSD gives me a huge disadvantage over everyone and so does having FWD lol. I believe I took first in my class but won't know until later in the week. My goal is to beat my buddies MR2 some day because we always go back and forth on which car is better but it's all in good fun!

One big problem I had was my 3 inch exhaust that goes below my subframe kept smacking against the ground So I guess that's a good reason to get stiffer coilovers!

Another thing was that my car was apparently close to the decibel limit which it's hard to specify whether my wastegates or my blow off valve makes more noise. Hopefully it's quiet enough for the season otherwise I'm gonna have another stupidly high fabrication bill and that's not the bees knees!

Anyways, the numbers are gonna be ran year round and I even got a few compliments on them!
drmix likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #228 of 325 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 09:46 PM

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I thought you had hood exit exhaust? Why does it hit the ground?
post #229 of 325 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

So my exhaust set up is a little complicated but I have my two wastegates coming out of my hood while my actual 3 inch exhaust system comes off of my turbo and goes all the way back and under my subframe and ends with an N1 muffler. It's actually really quiet until peak boost when the wastegates are open.
post #230 of 325 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtGomez View Post
So my exhaust set up is a little complicated but I have my two wastegates coming out of my hood while my actual 3 inch exhaust system comes off of my turbo and goes all the way back and under my subframe and ends with an N1 muffler. It's actually really quiet until peak boost when the wastegates are open.
You should have just ran your exhaust out of the hood also or just routed your dumptubes down to the ground. I dont think routing your dumps out of the hood by themselves do much good. I think the biggest gain of hood exit is through the exhaust.

Also why does you exhaust go underneath the subframe? I have my 3in routed just like stock and it fits just fine.
post #231 of 325 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

That's just the way 808 made the exhaust. I forgot to tell them to keep it above the LCAs so they made it that way. I'm sure they did it because there are smaller bends going under the subframe. A huge reason why it hit the ground was because the parking lot has noticeable elevation changes which made it rough on every car there. I haven't had an issue outside of railroad tracks but luckily we only race in that lot for the Icebreaker every year. I don't want to run my exhaust out of the hood because it will be way over the 95db limit. I just ran the wastegates out of the hood for a show purpose I guess. I think they look and sound pretty cool. Depending on how loud they actually are, I might have to have them recirculated in to the exhaust which I really don't want to do. SCCA regulations suck to follow.
post #232 of 325 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 02:48 PM

I would look and see how much it would cost to get the exhaust rerouted above the subframe. It might be a hassle but then you wont have to worry about the exhaust getting ripped off.

Here is my ground clearance with 3 inch all the way back

post #233 of 325 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

That's how I wanted it originally but at the time I just assumed they were gonna put it in the OEM routing. It does have about an inch before it's touching the subframe and they said they would move it if it became a hassle. If it keeps scraping when we go to other lots, I'll have it moved to OEM location. I surprisingly haven't had problems on the local back roads though. I imagine it couldn't be more than 300 bucks to just bend and weld a different pipe.
post #234 of 325 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtGomez View Post
That's how I wanted it originally but at the time I just assumed they were gonna put it in the OEM routing. It does have about an inch before it's touching the subframe and they said they would move it if it became a hassle. If it keeps scraping when we go to other lots, I'll have it moved to OEM location. I surprisingly haven't had problems on the local back roads though. I imagine it couldn't be more than 300 bucks to just bend and weld a different pipe.
I would have let them know right when I seen it that it needs to be in the OEM location. If they said they would move it if it became a hassle why would it cost $300? Thats quite a bit of money to fix something that was installed incorrectly in the first place.
post #235 of 325 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

That is very true. I should be more specific about this but all they told me back when it was made is that they would move it closer to the subframe for free so I don't know if putting it above the LCA will cost anything or not.

On a side note, do they make mini mufflers? Like one that would fit on my wastegates?
post #236 of 325 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Went to autox and they didn't say I was too loud! Time to ride that train as long as possible lol.
Anyways, my all seasons were heat cycled so badly that the grippy compound on my tires disappeared and decided they needed to squeal everytime they were at their peak. That was a little embarassing but it made me buy some new tires! Since I don't have excess funds for the Volks I want, I bought a set of Dunlop Direzza Z2 Star Specs in a 205/50r15.

Here they are stacked up next to the supra

Aggressive looking tread on them!
I then went one step further and took a paint pen to them and made the letters white! It looks pretty awesome and am very satisfied with the results. Now Im gonna get a more aggressive front camber setup to help with front end grip since it's a troubling area.

I plan on trying to get some water injection (SCCA only allows 1 gallon of water) and a new tune by the end of september. I have been looking into the AEM setup since it should work easily with the Infinity ECU I eventually plan on investing in. Hopefully these easy goals are possible but who knows with how my RX7 is going...
drmix likes this.
post #237 of 325 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Solid weekend of autocross! I finally caught up to my buddies mr2 with the new tires which made me really happy. Although a brand new Focus RS showed up and is running 3 seconds faster than I am....The car handled exceptionally well but fell short in long turn around corners. It had slight understeer in those corners and I really need to put my quaife diff in the car... The car does exceptional in the slalom and I think I could have gone a little faster. All in all Im pretty happy with its performance. I ended up losing the one screw that holds in my corner lens and drug it around on my first lap. Luckily, I had some tape and it made it the 1.5 hour trip back home!

Unfortunately, my tuner doesn't tune with water injection so I won't be able to do that until I find someone that's willing. Most likely going with the aquamist setup because of the ability to use a map for the injection system much like the duty cycle on fuel systems.
post #238 of 325 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 04:44 PM
Site Founder/Administrator

Articles: 75
Garage
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
When I lived in South FL i recall the tuners down there being selective about injection systems and what not. Hope you find one to get properly dialed in

- Running Log, the trials and tribulations of building a car

echlonwarrior: "Hondabond saves lives"
K2sInteg98: "the best thing to do is keep spending and not keep count....lol"
dpaton: "The road to hell is paved with good intentions"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page