Team Integra Forums banner

Phenom3030's DB8: ...

80K views 297 replies 55 participants last post by  phenom3030 
#1 · (Edited)
Phenom3030's DB8: Planning to part ways and partially part out...

Howzit all,

Longtime member, never really had a running log so here it goes.

First teg i owned was a brand new 01 GS coupe, satin silver metallic. I traded it in after i joined the military for an S2000 that i didnt own for too long because it was just too small of a car to be my daily with all the travelling i was doing at the time. After i got back from Iraq late 09, i picked up a 95 LS coupe.

And now i just picked up a 1994 GSR with 130k and two previous owners. Found it recently listed in Austin, so I immediately contacted the dealer and arranged to see it. Original asking price was $3800 + TTL. I managed to get it for $3k out the door!:biggrin:
I think it was a great deal considering complete GSR motor packages can go for close to that.

Other than that, its relatively unmolested. Has a few bolt ons AEM V2, DC 4-1 header, and Apexi WS2 catback.
I was lucky enough to see the undercarriage with the mechanics since the car was just traded in a day ago. No major leaks or damage, Doesn't look like its ever been slammed. Clean title, carfax and about 7k miles/year? All in all it looks great for a 17 year old car!

The internet listing didn't have pics up so the dealer texted me the ones below. More to come when they finish their services and I pick it up!

Plan is to transfer over what I can from my 95 coupe. I was basically "pit maneuvered" by a City garbage truck. And have a new (to me), daily! :biggrin: this will be more of a restoration/running log than a build thread. My goals? Just have a clean daily driver that gets good gas mileage and is fun to drive. :)

Mods:
Engine:
-SRE IC piping from eBay
-Turbonetics Raptor BOV
-Blox version 3 intake manifold
-

-

-

-Drag turbo manifold
-Turbonetics T3/T4 50 trim turbo with turbonetics stage 2 turbine wheel
-

-

-

-MyHondaHabit oil pan gasket and stud kit
-

-

-

-

-

-chipped ECU by John Vega at phearable.net
-Raxles axles
-Greddy/Denso 750CC injectors w/ Honda resistor box

Exterior:
-JDM front; OEM fenders, bumper, hood, OEM HID's and lip
-Shark Attack II antenna from locustom.com

Interior:
-

-custom wood shift knob from Etsy store Understatedimpact made by Nick Volkman (gift from my wife)
-Weksos short shifter
-Honda of Japan Type R shift boot
-Broadway 400m convex rear view mirror

Suspension:
-

-

-

-

-

-Hard Race adjustable front UCA's
-eXedium rear camber kit
-XXR 521 wheels 16x8 +20
-205/40-16 falken ziex 502 tires

Car audio:
-Alpine IDA-X001 head unit
-Sound Ordnance P-65C 6.5" component speaker system (front)
-Sound Ordnance P-69 6x9's (rear)
-Sound Ordnance B-8PT powered subwoofer

QUICK LINKS:

Refreshed my wiper arms and NGK spark plug wires pg. 2
My old Enkei wheels (17x7 +40) from my first teg! pg. 2
Sound Ordnance P-69 6x9's installed pg. 2
F&F Type 1's, camber kits, Blox LCA's and XXR 521's installed pg. 3
BBS RS wheels picked up and Benen Tripod pic pg. 4
Password:JDM Battery Tie Down pg. 4
WekSos short shifter installed, w/ comparison pics of OEM/short shifter/ ans short shifter with extension pg. 4
Shark Attack II Antenna pg. 5
Blox V3 Intake Manifold, Hondata IM Gasket, Blox IM studs, Chipped ECU Install pg. 5
Password:JDM Cam Seal installed pg. 6
Red tail light vinyl for 94-97 tails pg. 7
JDM Front installed pg. 8
Skunk2 VTEC solenoid installed pg. 10
Duplicolor Paint Match Spray Can Paint work pg. 11
Raxles axles! pg. 12
Turbonetics Turbo kit! pg. 12
Hard Race adjustable UCA's pg. 14
Air Lift air suspension and Auto Pilot V2 management installed pg. 14
Greddy/Denso 750cc low impedance injectors pg. 14
CEL 15 fixed! Replaced ICM / Igniter / Ignition control module pg. 15
3M Di-Noc wood grain vinyl pg. 15
Osidetiger FICS (Fuel Injector Cleaning Service) pg. 17
Moroso oil pan, MyHondaHabit oil pan gasket and stud kit installed pg. 17
Buddy Club Racing Spec Sport Seats Pg. 18
Turbo install complete, March 24th 2014 pg. 18
First fuel up after turbo MPG's and custom wooden shift knob pg. 19
Capitol Seating and Vison seat covers pg. 19
Sound Ordnance P-65C, 6.5" component speaker system pg. 19
Billet aluminum torque mounts from Amazon pg. 20
Project Kics R26 lug nuts pg. 21

See less See more
17 6
#5 · (Edited)
Phenom3030's DB8

Since I took delivery haven't really done much to the DB8 or transferred too many parts over from the coupe. Been busy with the family, holidays, etc.
I did give her a good wash, hit up all the black trim and moldings with turtle wax and gave her a once over with a Meguirs clay bar. For what looks to be the original paint, its not too bad for a 17 year old car. I've seen younger with worse oxidation, faded clear coat, etc.

Here's a few pics. :biggrin:

Came with original radio! My '01 didn't have the little flip switch thing (under the volume knob) Too bad I don't have the code for it. Or else I'd actually use it to play the first ever cassette I bought. lol

And the original shift knob? I thought this style only came on the 2nd gen's but being a '94 maybe they came with this one?

After the wash and quick detail:

And the engine bay

So far all I've done is switch over my old Alpine IDA X001 head unit, my Skunk2 shift knob, DDM tuning HID kit and transferred over the stock tweeters and some Power Acoustik 6.5"s from the coupe.
Oh, and while I was cleaning the inside I found the manual for the oem accessory security system. I bought a replacement remote from keylessride.com so now I have a temporary solution for security.

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks!

Well, the teg got a few things for Christmas from my family. I got around to installing a few things after work.

Some Password JDM radiator stays:

Password JDM valve cover washers:

And a Blackworks racing 2.5" test pipe.

Now my exhaust system is completely aftermarket. DC 4-1 header to test pipe to Apexi WSII catback. :biggrin:

#12 ·
Lol. I'll work on putting together a video/audio clip of some sort.

As for the bushings, I only installed the Energys Suspension shifter bushing set (Part # 16.1101R). They replaced these black ones from the shift linkage:

Which bushings did you install? I'm about to finish up installing the master kit in black with the last few bushings being pressed into the front lower control arms.

I'm partial to four doors, but regardless, that's a nice clean car.
How goes the master kit install? With a 17 year old car Ive got the random squeaks and what not and I'm sure many of the OEM bushings will need to be replaced which I plan on doing. I'm debating between ES and Hardrace though. I read somewhere that polyurethane bushings are prone to squeaking as well.

And thanks! I just checked out your rebuild thread, its looking good! I've become partial to four doors too. Like the extra room and it makes getting my son out of his car seat easier than doing it in my coupe. And aloha to you as well! I was born in Hawaii, did most of my growing up there (military brat).

#13 ·
My car definitely still squeaks, but I've narrowed most of it down to the rear tower bar. When I don't have it installed the squeaks virtually go away. The handling is certainly improved, and I will add that the biggest improvements I have noticed came after the hardest to change bushings.

One rumor/concern I read about a lot was that the rear LCA bushings droop when swapped over to polyurethane versus keeping with stock rubber. After more than a year, mine look the same as when they were installed, no change in shape.

The front upper control arms were really tough, you have to lube them up ridiculously with the little can of bushing snot they give you and press them in really hard with a press. I'm expecting the front lower control arms to be similar.

I had a problem with two sets of their upper shock mount bushings, where one would creep over the top of the cup in the top hat that it sits in, and destroy itself. This was not an issue of tightness, because everything was torqued to spec. The second time around I put an extra wide washer on top and had the same issue. When the top part of the bushing destroys itself, it relieves pressure on the top nut, and that nut comes undone. This leaves you with no suspension except the spring because the stanchion is not connected to the chassis.

I ended up switching to Tein pillowball tophats after all that messing around. They increased road noise slightly, but increased ride quality and handling feel. I'm very critical in these areas too, so you can trust my review.

My original set of shifter bushings definitely deteriorated, particularly the stablizer bushing which goes directly under the shifter. After 5 years of Colorado winters with their strange magnesium spray they used to de-ice the roads, the bushing was cracked and falling apart - thankfully the master kit had another. I hope none of the other bushings suffer the same end.

#14 ·
Thanks for the review Max. Next set of bushings I'm planning on installing are the Hardrace rubber RTA bushings. Going to wait till I swith over the suspension from the 2dr so I can clock them correctly for the ride height I'll be going with.

Decided to clean the wheel wells today. Member "Da Jellie" on h-t.com was kinda the inspiration, that guy keeps his G2 teg and TSX pristine!

Before:

After:

All i used was some Simple Green with some cheap plastic type brushes I got from Ikea. :biggrin:

#15 ·
moonroof visor?

Transferred over my moonroof visor from the coupe to sedan and never noticed something until today. Did Acura make OEM accessory visors?

In the top right corner;

And closer view:

Also, noticed that during deceleration or sometimes when I push the clutch in and I'm off the gas that the car pops out of 2nd gear. And its only that gear. Did a search today http://www.team-integra.net/forum/11-generation-three/21728-pops-out-2nd-gear-need-help.html and found that it may be low on transmission fluid or might be the rear motor mount.
Since the car is new to me I plan on changing the transmission fluid and getting a magnetic transmission drain plug. If that doesn't take care of it then I'll look at the rear motor mount.

#21 ·
So I removed the test pipe. When i originally installed it I had to extend the bolt hole openings so it would mate up to my DC header. Turns out the header didn't have a 2.5" collector but a 2". So the header to test pipe connection didn't make for a good seal, resulting in an exhaust leak. And i was having some issues where the sections would randomly separate from themselves and there was this weird metallic rattling at times when I was decelerating.
To fix the separation issue, I tack welded the sections together. They didn't separate after that. But...the rattling and the exhaust leak and sound of that bugged me too much. So I just put the stock cat back on.
Probably gonna sell the Blackworks test pipe... kinda sucks because it was an Xmas gift from family. Thought I could make it work but it ended up not...:frown:

#22 ·
So, I spoke with the City Of Killeen's insurance company; Texas Muncipal League. They stated that they are siding with their driver and not paying for damages to my vehicle. I firmly believe the accident was not my fault and have started exploring my options as far as small claims court, civilian lawyers, and JAG (they provide legal assistance to service members). Needless to say I am not a happy camper right now. :mad:

In other news, I refreshed my windshield wiper arms and replaced my spark plug wires. The wires ripped when I was putting on my valve cover washers. :frown: Luckily I had another set from the coupe I could use. Here's some before and afters:

And a shot of the new wires.

#24 ·
Eh, I considered that. Keeping the test pipe and just getting a new header to match. But...as much as I'd like to, I've got other priorities right now. Maybe another time. Plus, the rattle of the adjustable sections bothered me, so in the future I may just do a non adjustable or high flow cat or something. Go fast goodies aren't on eof the main goals on this teg.

#26 · (Edited)
Thanks dude! It's got its imperfections, like some hail damage that's not noticeable in the pics but I'm happy with this one. :biggrin: Planning on "restoring" it and making it my clean, light to moderately modified, fun to drive daily.

Forgot to post some pics of my old wheels! I had them stored at my folks' house and they brought them down when they came for the holidays. Kinda feel like a wheel ***** almost. Still have the XXR 962s that haven't sold yet. http://www.team-integra.net/forum/77-tx-forum/211405-fs-xxr-962s-18x7-5-gunmetal-450-a.html
That I may consider putting some tires on and using if they never sell. And still have my XXR 521s on the coupe that I haven't moved over yet.

Got these Enkei's in the Philippines while my pops was stationed in Okinawa. 17x7 +40

#27 · (Edited)
New 6x9's

Picked up some new 6x9's for the DB8. Decided to try out Crutchfield's brand; Sound Ordnance and to my surprise they sound quite good. I'm no audiophile but for $39.99, I think they were an outstanding purchase!

Don't worry I put the oem grills back on.

#31 ·
:( I'll be parting out the 2dr.

Well, it looks like I'll be parting out the 95 coupe soon. Met with another lawyer today, (3 total, with one being from JAG). As much as I want to do it out of principle and the wrong I feel was done to me, I won't be suing the City of Killeen. The reality is whatever it would come down to in court, whenever it would eventually get there. I just don't have the time or the extra resources to risk losing and having to pay the City's legal fees as well. Super bummer. :frown:

I guess the one good thing is I can finally start transferring more parts over from the 2dr to 4dr. Looking to do coilovers and wheels soon. And then the JDM front, although I have to deal with the whole 94-97 large size ABS pump issue. I really want to keep ABS this time vs. delete it. Mainly since the ABS works in the DB8. :biggrin:

Look out for a Part out FS thread in the near future.

#32 ·
Got a little work done today. Started pulling off parts from the coupe that will be going on the sedan. Hopefully next weekend I can move all the suspension stuff over.

And I started pulling off some of the JDM front. That will eventually be transferred over as well.

#33 · (Edited)
Went from this

To this

F&F type ones, eBay front camber kit, exedium rear camber kit, blox rear lcas, Benen front strut bar and xxr 521s were transplanted to the db8 today. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.