Team Integra Forums banner

Strange crank but no start 96 gsr

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  RiceWrench 
#1 ·
I need some help diagnosing a very weird no start issue I've been having. On occasion the car won't restart after being shut off. It just cranks and won't fire. If I cycle the key a few times it will finally start up, but with a big puff of smoke and strong raw fuel smell. It only does it when the engine is warm and when I have no tools to check what's going on lol.

Last time this happened, I popped the hood and could hear a weird buzzing/clicking sound coming from behind the engine somewhere. I tried cycling the key again and the buzzing stopped and the car fired right up.

Every time I try to diagnose the problem, everything checks out fine... I don't want to just throw parts at it. The only clues I have are the fact that it only does this when it's warm and that weird buzzing sound. Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

#2 ·
Difficulty starting, together with a smell of raw fuel, also combined with a big puff of smoke (I assume black?) after the car finally starts, suggests to me that you may have a leaky injector. It is hard to identify the source of the "weird buzzing sound" without hearing where it comes from. Could be an injector cycling sound, but would have a rather ticking sound. I'd suggest you get a mechanics stethoscope and to figure out where the noise is coming from. You could also try removing the fuel rail and see if the any injector leaks when the car is not running. If so, it would explain why the car would be hard to start (due to a fuel flooded chamber).

#3 ·
I still can't find the source of this buzzing under the hood. It's done it a couple more times since my last post, same deal. Today it did something new. It started up fine, but when I took off in 1st and pushed in the clutch, it acted like the throttle was stuck. The rpms wouldn't come back down and it just sat at 2500. Tried blipping the throttle, didn't help. I shut the car down and bam no restart again. Cycled the key, same deal as last time. It chugs to life like it's flooded. I should add that when this problem isn't occurring, the car runs like a top. No check engine light, no problems otherwise. Whatever this gremlin is, its definitely fuel system related. I will try swapping the injectors from another gsr engine I have for parts and see if that changes anything.

#4 ·
I'm still trying to figure this one out. Car is off the road for the winter so I have some time to mess with it. The problem got worse, one day it wouldn't start at all. I was finally able to get it running on 3 cylinders and I figured out that the #1 injector wasn't working. Here's a list of things I changed from a known running engine-

-Replaced entire ignition system. Plugs, wires, and oem distributor
-Changed #1 injector
-Tried a different ecu from a known running car

Still no fire on the #1 cylinder. I guess the next thing to try is an engine harness. I'm pretty sure its not a mechanical issue, at least I hope not. Engine only has 92,000 miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.