Headgasket weeping oil in coolant - How to fix High boost issues likes this - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Post Headgasket weeping oil in coolant - How to fix High boost issues likes this

It's been several years since I posted here, my built boosted GSR is at it again. Leakdown test passed across all 4 cylinders, no bubbles, good pressure, ARP bolts were tightened to spec just last year to ensure nothing vibrated loose. I'm seeing small blotches of oil on the radiator cap again and in the coolant when bleeding the system. I can also tell it is slowly starting to drink the coolant in the overflow, but no overheating what so ever. Last time this happened, tore the head off, decked the head, new gasket and this problem went away. The gasket (bored Golden eagle which is OEM) showed no signs of deterioration and indication it had failed. The car is meticulously maintained, I spoke to GE and ARP last time and they both said they were unsure what could be causing this weeping but it happens. Fast forward now, same issue again. Will likely have to do this all over again with new parts. Such a pain to take everything apart.

For those of you running 20+psi of boost, how often do you refresh the head gasket, I'm aware you can reuse the bolts once depending on stretch, any tips or tricks to extend the life of the head gasket to prevent oil weeping? This is getting old real fast at my age.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 01:42 PM

Been there. New headgasket certainly fixes the issue although old one shows no signs of damage. Not that it saves alot of time, but I decided next time I have this issue I'm going to try to re torque the ARP studs. Remember, the studs must only be finger tight when they are inserted into the block. You should also use ARP ultra lube. I also use copper spray on the headgasket. Both OEM and Cometic gaskets seem to give me good results.

My Build
404whp
[email protected]
Best 60' - 1.729
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Identical process here but i only use OEM GE bored gasket, have not tried Cometic. Same exact issue and solution you described i went through this last time but is rearing its ugly head again. On another forum the suggestion was to use the L19 bolts, they cost more and have higher tensile strength so I'm going to use them when i rebuild. Another suggestion was o-ring but Benson does not o-ring for a reason and I know many with 700-1000hp without o-rings plus it makes for less rebuilds with that route.

What was the frequency in which you did the refresh? I'm curious about how many miles before you went through this.

Aside from the frequency of the rebuild how did the Cometic hold up against OEM?

cheers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page