First turbo integra build, a few questions - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First turbo integra build, a few questions

hey guys been a minute since i posted, mostly because i havent had any problems so far that someone hasnt answered already. But after pretty much hammering out all my preventative maintenance on my GSR over the last year i finally decided to boost it. Now a shop about an hour away is going to tune it for me once everything is said and done, and ive decided whether to go with Hondata or neptune. But I've read lots of different posts on people doing different things to help their cars once they are boosted especially before its tuned. some people say to throw a 12:1 FMU on it until it gets tuned, but to me that sounds like a waste if im just gonna get rid of it a week later once i get it tuned. i also read where people compensated fuel by upgrading to 440cc injectors and a 255lph fuel pump. Im only going to be running around 5-7psi, have ARP head studs and new headgasket, motor was rebuilt around 5,000 miles ago maybe less, and on stock compression. Im just wondering if the stock GSR ECU will run it or if there is a particular basemap i should have put on the new ECU to last until it gets tuned. FYI i've never tuned an ECU myself and am just now starting to learn the basics of it so please dont hate on me while i learn. just trying to do things as right as possible the first time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 11:47 AM

Don't waste your money on a FMU.

You won't regret going with hondata if you do end up going that route. Go with the s300 because it has boost by gear which can really help with traction issues in 1st and 2nd.

Generally, more fuel = more power. You will regret not putting in a fuel pump and injectors when you get it tuned.. Not to mention you may not be able to push enough fuel to support your new forced induction setup. Injectors and fuel pump is just one of those supporting mods for a forced induction setup on our cars since they were meant to be Naturally Aspirated and push a stock 240cc. Running super lean = Kaboom!!
I know there is a formula out there to find out how big of injectors you need to achieve the power goal you want.

Honestly I'm not sure about the basemap, best to let someone else answer that one.
(Although just for reference I think I'm on a gsr basemap with hondata s300)
-good luck!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-01-2016, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 20 reviews
You shouldn't be boosting until it's tuned....so stay out of boost or disconnect a pipe and baby it.

Get a basemap from your tuner that has a boost cut on it....if your tuner doesn't supply these, find a new tuner.

2012 Mitsubishi Evolution X - 355 awhp / 350 awtq. Stock Turbo
2015 Lexus NX200T - Wife's Daily
2004 Honda Accord EX-L - Daily

Last edited by JustinKlemgold; 02-02-2016 at 10:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

OK so u were right getting a new ecu with a basemap based on my vehicle. And I'm gonna do the injectors and fuel pump. And with the new basemap take it to get it tuned. Thanks guys
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-03-2016, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

alright so here is the setup im going with, if im missing anything someone please point it out lol.

ARP headstuds
reinforced head gasket
255 fuel pump
440cc fuel injectors
new p72 ECU chipped and tuned
t04e turbo by cxracing
front mount intercooler and piping
manual boost controller
golden eagle sandwich plate for oil feed
oil return line tapped into oil pan
hks ssqv blow off valve
wideband 02 sensor

besides gauges am i missing anything, im only running 5 psi for now
jae_rex likes this.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 12:10 AM

Get a better turbo, skip the BOV, bigger injectors if you plan on upgrading in the future (if you wanna) uhhmmmmm, clutch, wastegate, downpipe dumptube, 3 in exhaust, oil lines, oil, oil filter, manifold, vacuum lines, air filter, like shit man you're just scratching the surface.

The engine doesn't even need any current modification for what you're looking at doing, probably around 300whp max (probably less, depends on turbo, ic and whatnot)

What ems are you using? Neptune>hondata, costs less, does the same thing. Uhhhhhhh what else.... psi means nothing, get something that will boost quickly if you want that and runner higher boost, do more research, seriously go online and research turbo setups for at least a dozen hours, uhhhhhhhh.....yeah.

I dunno I had something else but I completely blanked. That should get you started.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 12:15 AM

Oh yeah... the engine will hold at least 350whp stock, there's builds pushing 400+ stock but that isn't advisable on stock rods at all. Once again though, depending on the setup, you can easily get a lot of power out of a stock GSR. With light modifications, i.e piston/rod headstuds and, well, not sure about the head but I'm pretty sure it's good for 450 at least, not sure how reliable the heads are at higher powers though. But think of it this way; the modifications you'll need for the head (and bottom end) really are just for holding the power...the engine in it's stock form is capable of so much power, the parts just can't handle it reliable once you get to certain levels. The head flows extremely well, and has very good cams for a beefy midrange all the way to 8-8.5k
jae_rex likes this.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 10:34 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Nice to see another boosted GS-R in the Midwest. You'll love it.

01 AP1/ 87 VW MKII / 97 BMW 328Ti /96 DC2 /02 EP3 Build thread
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Anything over 300 whp on a b-series is a completely crapshoot. For every b-series pushing 350 whp on stock internals, you'll have one that blows on that power level.

Skip the BOV? I'm confused....why? You need a BOV.

Fuel injector size depends on your goals....440s are pretty small...the EMS's today can idle a 1000 cc injector just like a 440 CC injector.

Reinforced head gasket? What is that? I've never heard that terminology. Builds with over 500 whp are using stock Honda headgaskets.....so.....use a stock honda headgasket.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geis View Post
Get a better turbo, skip the BOV, bigger injectors if you plan on upgrading in the future (if you wanna) uhhmmmmm, clutch, wastegate, downpipe dumptube, 3 in exhaust, oil lines, oil, oil filter, manifold, vacuum lines, air filter, like shit man you're just scratching the surface.

The engine doesn't even need any current modification for what you're looking at doing, probably around 300whp max (probably less, depends on turbo, ic and whatnot)

What ems are you using? Neptune>hondata, costs less, does the same thing. Uhhhhhhh what else.... psi means nothing, get something that will boost quickly if you want that and runner higher boost, do more research, seriously go online and research turbo setups for at least a dozen hours, uhhhhhhhh.....yeah.

I dunno I had something else but I completely blanked. That should get you started.
yeah already got downpipe sorry downpipe,manifold are coming with the turbo and already have an aftermarket clutch with 7lb flywheel. im probably gonna end up going with neptune, mostly because of the huge price difference and right now im just wanting to get started on the boosting process, i plan on completely building the engine up also entirely but piece by piece. thanks for all the advice though everyon
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinKlemgold View Post
Anything over 300 whp on a b-series is a completely crapshoot. For every b-series pushing 350 whp on stock internals, you'll have one that blows on that power level.

Skip the BOV? I'm confused....why? You need a BOV.

Fuel injector size depends on your goals....440s are pretty small...the EMS's today can idle a 1000 cc injector just like a 440 CC injector.

Reinforced head gasket? What is that? I've never heard that terminology. Builds with over 500 whp are using stock Honda headgaskets.....so.....use a stock honda headgasket.
and by reinforced i meant the cometic steel headgasket, it was a package deal with the arp headstuds, knew after changing the studs i needed to change the gasket and figured it was probably more durable then the stock honda, although not sure the one that was on it was OEM honda since i had the engine rebuild not too long ago hard telling what the mechanic used. and when i decide to go for more power i will upgrade the injectors for sure, the guy whos doing my tuning recommended the 440cc injectors for now since im not looking for massive power gains and only a small amount of boost. it might sound sad but i dont really drive this thing hard as it is, i work all the time and when im home my wifes at work and kids are at school so its more like a project then anything to keep me busy. its been a good car to me so just feel like fixing it up lol
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Do yourself a huge favor and get a Honda headgasket. A new one. A lot of guys who use Cometic encounter issues and then go back to a honda headgasket.

Just read how to properly torque those ARP studs and to what ft/lbs.

That will require a torque wrench. Get one.
Silvia and Frany like this.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 04:29 PM

BOV thing is little overrated, plenty have run without them successfully for years on end, especially if he's just looking at a t3/t4 journal bearing.
You by no means 'need' a bov, and your turbo isn't going to blow up or even have any significant reduced lifetime from anecdotal evidence I've gathered, but if you have the budget for it and want to be extra safe it's all good.l
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geis View Post
BOV thing is little overrated, plenty have run without them successfully for years on end, especially if he's just looking at a t3/t4 journal bearing.
You by no means 'need' a bov, and your turbo isn't going to blow up or even have any significant reduced lifetime from anecdotal evidence I've gathered, but if you have the budget for it and want to be extra safe it's all good.l
Ooof, can't agree with that. I know you understand what a BOV's job is....definitely not something I would deem as "not really needed".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page