Join Date: Aug 2011
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I plan to make this my build thread.
My previous GSR (1998) ran 15.555 @89mph completely stock. However, this GSR (1995) was a whole second slower 16.5 secs. Conclusion: LS/Vtec matched with LS tranny is much slower than GSR long block matched with GSR trany.
I was very disappointed with my findings and decides to do something about it. However, money was an issue and I kept postponing my plans for a long time. It took a spun rod bearing to get things moving forward. Unable to afford a mechanic I decided to do engine overhaul myself. I already had experience changing oil and spare tire.. A co worker promised to help with new engine assembly. But the engine had to come-out. And there was no one to help. I made a mistake by not removing the harmonic balancer. Since the trany was going to stay, the engine got stock after I disconnected it. The pressure plate wasn't able to clear the tranny housing. I spent all night trying to figure it out. First I tried to match the engine back to the tranny. But since I the chains weren't connected properly, the engine hung sideways, making it impossible. I tried to level it by using a piece of pipe that I inserted through upper radiator water neck. Since the water neck is cast aluminum it cracked in no time. Since the engine hoist was in the way of my garage door, I couldn't go to sleep as my tools would get stolen. That was my first night in the garage. The next day my co-worker came to help. He turned the engine so that harmonic balancer cleared the corner near driver headlight. He than took it apart, told me what parts I needed and once the parts were in, he assembled it while I watched.
Unfortunately it did not last. During an oil change, I noticed a dent on the side wall of the new oil filter. Not checking the car for leaks following the oil change, I drove the car to a near by store. In 10 minutes I lost all the oil. The engine spun a rod bearing. I was back to square one.
Co-worker was disappointed that he wasted his time. But he didn't. He taught me how to rebuild an engine. And that is priceless. I was now able to remove, rebuild and install the engine all on my own. There were a few issues during the rebuild process however:
First, I accidently installed a B16 crank instead of B18 (courtesy of a dishonest seller). Since I realized it after the assembly, I ruined a new head gasket.
Since a good used B18 crank was hard to find so I decided to machine my original crank. This was my second mistake. After installing a freshly turned crank, I was told that it won't last since it was no longer hardened. That cost me another head gasket. Crap, I needed a good LS crank, but couldn't find one.
Read on to find-out what happened next…
Last edited by Built_not_bought; 03-30-2018 at 11:53 AM.