trying to reinstall transmission....installed!!!!! - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
The Enforcer!

Articles: 2
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Send a message via AIM to justYncredible
trying to reinstall transmission....installed!!!!!

so ive been trying to install my transmission for about 2 days now with no success. first i tried by myself then my neighbor gave me a hand. we just cant get this thing to line up right. i followed the article to remove the transmission but i just cant do the reverse order of it. i raised the engine enough to bolt up the rear mount to the motor so its not tilted as much, but still no luck.

any tips or tricks?

i found this and im thinking about trying this. basically just hover over my engine and literally pick it up from on top.

join my clubs
N.F.C = No Foglights Club
N.A.T.O = No Altezza Taillights Organization
wu's turbo build
460.79whp 311.92tq @ 18lbs (new tune)
(old tune) 1/4 mile = 13.36 @10lbs @120mph (on all seaon tires, 2-3yrs of age)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarksb18 View Post
Jr, I have never seen justyncredible be gentle with a thread like this and I understand why.

Last edited by justYncredible; 07-27-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 12:06 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If you hung the input shaft on the clutch disc it might be bent or out of alignment.

A method that really helps when there arn't extra sets of hands around is to buy longer than stock bolts for the top 2 bellhousing bolts and cut the heads off. Thread them into the engine and you can then hang the trans on them as you slide it on. Give it a shot, it should help.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 12:26 AM

Articles: 1
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Correct^^ the clutch plate/disk might not be alined,so the shaft is/might be hitting it. Might want to buy the clutch aline tool as well,not that much and it helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 12:42 AM
Super Moderator

Articles: 1
Garage
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
Getting the input shaft to line up right and slide in is one of the most difficult parts of the whole process...especially with only two hands! I really like 94GSRteggy's idea of using some headless bolts as a way to make sure the thing is at least lined up with the block. That would help a lot with making sure the shaft is going in at the correct angle.

Often, even when going in the correct angle, the input shaft can be off by like half a spline, so you may have to actually rotate the shaft a tiny bit and try again a couple of times.

>insert signature here<

Last edited by drcheap; 07-27-2011 at 12:44 AM.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 01:02 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I had one hell of a time getting the tranny and engine connected OFF the car. I can only imagine what a PITA it is with the engine installed.

My suggestion would be to rent a good transmission jack. They come with these adjustment knobs for the pitch and roll. This way you could make small, controlled adjustments until they're aligned.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 01:24 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcheap View Post
Getting the input shaft to line up right and slide in is one of the most difficult parts of the whole process...especially with only two hands! I really like 94GSRteggy's idea of using some headless bolts as a way to make sure the thing is at least lined up with the block. That would help a lot with making sure the shaft is going in at the correct angle.

Often, even when going in the correct angle, the input shaft can be off by like half a spline, so you may have to actually rotate the shaft a tiny bit and try again a couple of times.
this. it is such a pain to get the trans lined up with the clutch splines. especially when trying to stick your hand up there to turn the shaft barely. it takes time but it should not take two days. maybe i just have more practice. either way just be glad it isnt as heavy as a rwd trans
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
The Enforcer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91_LS View Post
Correct^^ the clutch plate/disk might not be alined,so the shaft is/might be hitting it. Might want to buy the clutch aline tool as well,not that much and it helps.
i used the clutch alignment tool to install the clutch completely and then i removed it when i was done.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
The Enforcer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterP_Nice View Post
I had one hell of a time getting the tranny and engine connected OFF the car. I can only imagine what a PITA it is with the engine installed.

My suggestion would be to rent a good transmission jack. They come with these adjustment knobs for the pitch and roll. This way you could make small, controlled adjustments until they're aligned.

i had a dream about renting a transmission jack last night lol
i think ill do just that and see if autozone has them for rent
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 08:39 AM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
The main problem I usually have is lining up the splines on the input shaft to the clutch disk. I generally have to pull the trans back down 3-5 times to turn the input shaft a little and keep hoping I get lucky... Can you tell whether the problem is with spline alignment or is it after the splines are aligned and it begins to slide in?

968whp GSR build thread
How to Install an LSD
Brotato Racing - Best E.T. 9.73 @ 151mph
www.finishing-lines.com
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
The Enforcer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luck4rmkc View Post
The main problem I usually have is lining up the splines on the input shaft to the clutch disk. I generally have to pull the trans back down 3-5 times to turn the input shaft a little and keep hoping I get lucky... Can you tell whether the problem is with spline alignment or is it after the splines are aligned and it begins to slide in?
The problem is getting the tranny at the right angle to insert into the block. The engine is leaning some what and it's not easy to match that angle to marry to the block. I'm thinking with a tranny lift this will go a lot easier. But I'm still up for suggestions because I want to get this car back on the ground again!
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

Articles: 3
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Yeah matching the angle is the toughest part.

I let the engine hang on the drivers side 2 mounts, then angle the transmission to match as best I can then jiggle and push a lot, cuss, swig some beer, jiggle and push some more, get a bolt started and I'm golden.

It's something you just kind of get the hang of honestly.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 10:47 AM

Feedback Score: 17 reviews
what i've done is: remove the rear mount and place a block of wood with a jack on the engine so you can raise or lower it to the desired angle, and then try to find another jack to lift the tranny, lift it up to the right height, tilt back and have one person line it up and another to push it up into the engine...

that's the worse part of doing a clutch job is getting the tranny back on

good luck
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 11:31 AM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The headless bolt method really does save some headaches. You could even have a buddy on the crank bolt with a 19mm rotating it slowly to insure spline alignment. Works every time.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
The Enforcer!

One thing I notice is if the transmission leans to much it'll start to leak fluid. I'm determined to get this tranny back on
I just think a tranny jack is my best bet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Integra Forums - Team Integra forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page